cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

Journeyman

Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

I've had my Galaxy S9 since August and I haven't been able to receive texts or calls over wifi. My apartment has very bad cell service (basement in a brick building) and I've been missing important calls and texts. My Wifi Calling is on, but the Calling Plus logo doesn't show in the top toolbar. That logo shows in other places like my office or when I'm just out and about, but not in my own home with very strong wifi. I never had this issue with the S8 running on the same wifi.

 

I talked to someone on the phone and ran through all the troubleshooting (they said it was a known problem with the S9)...they suggested I take it to a store, but there are none that are convenient to me. 

 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

20 REPLIES 20
GrandMaster

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

mind listing what all troubleshooting steps they ran you through so the agent that pops in doesnt try to run you through the same gauntlet?

 

did they by chance have you run through setting up the 911 side of calling plus with this new device including location?

 

 

also the fact that it works elsewhere but NOT at your home connection makes me think either something changed up with your router OR how your phone is trying to read said router...if it were a device issue the calling plus wouldnt be working at your work or other locations either. stupid question but you have unplugged your router for about 5 minutes and let it reset itself already correct?

 

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

I could maybe fix this. Smiley Happy Please follow the steps. 

 

  1. Turn off WiFi on the phone
  2. Go to keypad, and type ##SCRTN#
  3. Once complete, send out a SMS/MMS
  4. Log back into WiFi 
  5. And send a SMS/MMS 

 

Let me know if this helps. 

Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

I will try this when I get home and let you know.

 

Thank you for your suggestion!


@Katey88_Sprint wrote:

I could maybe fix this. Smiley Happy Please follow the steps. 

 

  1. Turn off WiFi on the phone
  2. Go to keypad, and type ##SCRTN#
  3. Once complete, send out a SMS/MMS
  4. Log back into WiFi 
  5. And send a SMS/MMS 

 

Let me know if this helps. 


 

Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9


@fireguy_6364 wrote:

mind listing what all troubleshooting steps they ran you through so the agent that pops in doesnt try to run you through the same gauntlet?

 

did they by chance have you run through setting up the 911 side of calling plus with this new device including location?

 

 

also the fact that it works elsewhere but NOT at your home connection makes me think either something changed up with your router OR how your phone is trying to read said router...if it were a device issue the calling plus wouldnt be working at your work or other locations either. stupid question but you have unplugged your router for about 5 minutes and let it reset itself already correct?

 


I honestly don't remember the troubleshooting steps...it's been awhile. I'll try restarting the router again (it's shared with roommates who are always using it, so I'm reluctant to mess around with it). I have strong wifi in my room, but I'm wondering if a wifi extender would help...

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

Let us know how it works or if it doesn't. I am crossing my fingers it does. Smiley Happy 

GrandMaster

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

its possible but i dont know how it would work with the calling plus deal or not and a extender. since they first launched CP i have randomly came across scenarios like this and more often than not its the router (especially when it works at other locations but is limited to one not working right) ..either a update the router did made some weird change to it or its not doing its job with random info internally and is in need of a refresh..

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9


@fireguy_6364 wrote:

its possible but i dont know how it would work with the calling plus deal or not and a extender. since they first launched CP i have randomly came across scenarios like this and more often than not its the router (especially when it works at other locations but is limited to one not working right) ..either a update the router did made some weird change to it or its not doing its job with random info internally and is in need of a refresh..


I went through all the steps to refresh the network settings and reset the router...and nothing. Calling Plus is enabled, but icon doesn't show on toolbar and I can't send or receive texts since I have no cell service. 

Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9


@fireguy_6364 wrote:

its possible but i dont know how it would work with the calling plus deal or not and a extender. since they first launched CP i have randomly came across scenarios like this and more often than not its the router (especially when it works at other locations but is limited to one not working right) ..either a update the router did made some weird change to it or its not doing its job with random info internally and is in need of a refresh..


I went through all of the steps to refresh the network and reset my router and I still can't send or receive texts. Calling Plus is enabled but the icon isn't displayed on the top toolbar. This is frustrating because of my bad cell service, I may miss important texts or calls. I am working on getting my magic box set up (which is its own nightmare), but Calling Plus should work. Can my wifi be restricting it somehow?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

You followed the steps above, and it didn't work?

Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9


@Katey88_Sprint wrote:

You followed the steps above, and it didn't work?


Yeah, it took a few tries to activate to the network, but it finally went through, but I still can't see the Calling Plus icon as working.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

I own a Note 9, and I only have a WiFi icon by the signal towers when enabled. I am going to escalate this further to see what we can get done. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat