cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Remove Facebook, Messenger or Instagram

Go to solution
Journeyman

Can't Remove Facebook, Messenger or Instagram

I would like to remove these apps from my phone. My research shows that all of these apps are part of Sprint's firmware and there is absolutely no way to remove them. The best I can do is to disable the apps.

Will someone from Sprint confirm that these apps can't be removed?

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Social Care

Re: Can't Remove Facebook, Messenger or Instagram

no_reception,

Hey! Thank you for reaching out. I would like to you please provide me with a screenshot of what you see when you try to uninstall the app. Have you tried to uninstall it through the play store directly?

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Kryshna,

Perhaps you could answer the question I asked? Are these apps,  Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram, included in the firmware (making them impossible to be removed)? It's a Yes or No question. 

I would ask that you not muddle this thread with questions and tasks until answering my original question. However in the interest of good faith, I'll provide the info you asked for. 

Yes, I have tried to remove Facebook Messenger and the other apps from the Play Store. However they are not listed as installed in the play store so there is nothing to do there. As you can plainly see from the screenshot attached, I can only disable Facebook Messenger. I can't uninstall it. That button has been removed.

Screenshot_20180327-110705_Settings.jpg

Wizard

@no_reception just for kicks have you tried installing them from the Play Store then go back and Uninstall them??  

Journeyman

I haven't and I'm not willing to do that.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I can confirm that Facebook, Messenger and Instagram are part of the Sprint load set for the Galaxy S9.  As you have noticed, you may disable updates but they cannot be completely uninstalled from Sprint branded devices.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Thanks Seawolf, I appreciate the straight answer. Can you answer a quick follow up question? Is any data at all sent to Facebook when these apps are disabled? (For those that might not be aware, FB owns Instagram too)

Community Manager

Both apps are required to request permission before accessing data on the device. If you have never logged in to the app on the phone, those permissions have not been granted, therefore, your data should not be accessible.

I think I understand your concerns here, based on recent news stories. If your intent is to keep your data from being used, you should be fine as long as you do not log into the apps on the device. 

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat