cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant find USB setting on Galaxy s8

Go to solution
Journeyman

Cant find USB setting on Galaxy s8

I need some help please.  I have a galaxy s8 that is running Android 9.  When I connect my phone to my computer or my car using a USB cable, nothing happens.  I see no USB settings in my phone and I have tried the USB debugging option but nothing displays there also.  Everything I read is about adding drivers to my PC but I believe it is my phone that is missing either an app or an update.  I have tried the same cables with my grandson's and daughters phones and they work fine on my computer and my car.  I am going to try a factory reset but if it is a problem with an app, that might not work.  Is there anything else I can check to see if I am missing the correct software or what my next steps are.  I do plan on doing a factory reset if I don't get an answer but I hope I do not have to do that.  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Cant find USB setting on Galaxy s8

That's an excellent question caschd. Give me a few mins to look into this for you. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Wizard

Here are the steps to access the USB section on your phone. 

1. Go to Settings > More…
  2. In More, tap on USB Utilities.
  3. Then, touch Connect Storage to PC.
  4. Now, plug your USB cable into your PC, and then into your Android® device. A screen will appear with the green Android® icon with USB Connected on the screen. Press OK. When successful, the Android® icon will turn orange.

If you're having trouble, you may want to try debugging your USB connection: 

Here are the steps to debug that connection: 

1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.
    Note These instructions apply to Standard mode only.
  2. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings Settings icon >Developer options Developer options icon.
    Note If not available, swipe up or down from the center of the display then navigate: Settings > About phone > Software information then tap Build number seven times.
    Note If presented, enter the current PIN, password, or pattern.
  3. Ensure that the Developer options switch (upper-right) is turned on Switch On icon.
  4. From the Debugging section, tap USB debugging to turn on or off.
  5. If prompted, tap OK to confirm.

Let me know if this resolves the issue you're having. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I do not have USB utilities in my More connection settings unless I am looking in the wrong place and I tried the USB debugging and that does not work for me either.

There was some bugs with that update Samsung just released. This might be one of them. We are hoping to learn some news about it soon.

Journeyman

A factory reset was done on my phone and it did not correct the problem.  It would not connect after the reset and before the restore of the apps was done.  I conclude that my phone is the issue and will not be corrected until I upgrade to a new phone.  Thanks for your help

GrandMaster

out of curiosity what is it you are trying to do?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat