cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity: Samsung Galaxy S10+ Odyssey to Unexpected Oddity Work-around, no solution yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Connectivity: Samsung Galaxy S10+ Odyssey to Unexpected Oddity Work-around, no solution yet.

Because I tend to get somewhat obsessive about completeness, leading to long (and in this case multi-part) posts, I made a "chronicle" of what I went through, with support, and what I attempted, solo, to get a new S10+ working acceptably as a hot-spot for my LAN (the S10+'s prime function) on Sprint, to which I am also new (No comments about Sprint here. Move along, nothing to see. A post about that some other time).

The work-around gives me very good performance, as measured by both the speedtest.net app I installed on the phone and by performance of downloads from various sites. Roughly 50+-70+ Mbps down and commensurate up speeds.

These are roughly equivalent to the Spectrum (crappy Charter Communications brand after they bought out my excellent TWC provider) 60Mbps I was paying for before I decided to ditch them and their crappy customer service (maybe I was spoiled by TWC here who had worked long to improve such that I would recommend them).

The net is MAYBE something I HOPE others can use and/or from which they can benefit either by having a single log of steps likely encountered in ATTEMPTING to overcome similar problems.

The best outcome from this post, I think, would be one might accidentally benefit from avoiding extra support calls (I had several chat and telcons) OR, even better, encounter an oddity that gives a temporary work-around, as I did, while I await the new phone that I HOPE will fix the issue(s?).

I'm skeptical though. Tried finding a Sprint tower closest to my house today and the site is non-responsive. My hope was further narrowing the possible causes of poor performance (without the oddity in play).

I'll add another chapter to Dropbox as things move along.

If not useful, just holler - I've a thick skin and I'm inherently lazy. Saving energy by not posting more will not bother me at all.

If you find it useful and have questions about what I posted, included a relevant quate and I'll do my best to clarify/answer. Sometimes I don't realize writings are less than clear.

Read in order of file names. These are also downloadable. Feel free to plagiarize, but with attribution if you find anything all THAT useful.

CAVEAT: like Schultzy et al in the old "Hogan's Heroes" sitcom, about telecom "I know nutting"!

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Connectivity: Samsung Galaxy S10+ Odyssey to Unexpected Oddity Work-around, no solution yet.

According to the coverage map I'm supposed to have excellent signal. When the oddity I mentioned in the posts to Dropbox is in play, this seems right.

Sans taking advantage of the oddity, the phone's bars (and actual signal readings detailed in the post) are poor, which shows up in the Speedtest.net results as well as actual performance of my computers through my gigabit switched LAN.

SprintCoverageMapSnippetForMyLocation_20200517_190724.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Connectivity: Samsung Galaxy S10+ Odyssey to Unexpected Oddity Work-around, no solution yet.

Here's a Speedtest.net history typical of speeds when the oddity IS in effect. I sorted descending on Mbps rather than date as I ran tests with and without the oddity in effect.Screenshot_20200517-201633_Speedtest.jpg

Here's sorted ascending on Mbps for the same reasons. These are typical of what I get sans oddity being in play.

Since Sprint coverage map CLAIMS I have good coverage here and the S10+ is a relatively powerful device, I sould NOT see these latter speeds just because the the phone/towers have to do the job all by themselves.

That's all for now. When I have any more potentially useful information (when the new phone arrives?) I'll add more to this thread either here or in Dropbox series.

Come to think of it, might as well put these snaps there too for convenience of any readers.

Good idea WitLess!Screenshot_20200517-201625_Speedtest.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hm. url seems to have disappeared. Here 'tis again. https://bit.ly/2zHLU1Q
Highlighted
Journeyman

OK. Used my old LG from Verizon to take a snapshot of the oddity so you can see what made this work. Again, not a solution but a work-around for something else that is apparently broken. This picture shows placement og th GS10+ where it gicces me great signal (~ -95ish at time I snapped picture).

Note big aluminum(?) base of monitor and the aluminum slag a photo bottom, normally next to phone touching nearest edge to prevent phone from sliding off monitor base.

I also loaded this to Dropbox so you can read and view at the same time in the same place. https://bit.ly/2zHLU1Q

SG10+OddityPic.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

This A.M. the oddity stopped working. Not only that, but when I moved phone away from the monitor and "released it into the wild", signal got very good, approaching best I had seen when the oddity was working.

Complete opposite of what had been observed in the past.

My "associative processor" began cranking and emitted a couple possible (plausible?) reasons.

First, it was a rainy morning, moderate in intensity. I would have expected some signal attenuation from this giving weaker readings.

BUT the cloud cover was also heavy and steady and the rain later tapered off (temporarily I'm sure - supposed to rain the rest of the week) to a very light mist.

My best SWAG (Scientific-Wild-Assed Guess) is some of the signal is bouncing off the cloud cover instead of radiating out into space? I've no idea if the frequencies in use would be subject to reflection, rather than absorption, by water droplets (with some microscopic dust mixed in I would guess).

IFF the above is in the ballpark that could explain improved signal when the phone was "in the wild".

I can't envision why the signal would be weaker than what I had been seeing when the phone was on the monitor stand though. This morning, between 04:30 EDT and some later time I saw as bad as -123 dBm, which is bad. That was only briefly though and most of the time it was centerd around ~ -103, +/-.

That was while it was raining and I just now put it back under the monitor and saw ... waiting a few minutes for stabilization ...

OK. signal steady at -96 dBm, which is pretty decent, nearing best I've ever seen (briefly) in the high -8x range.

Final check - move phone back into the wild and allow a few minutes to stabilize gives ... a steady ~ -91 dBm, a good signal for me and 4/5 bars consistently.

A confirmation of the readings seems to exist in the performance seen on my switched gigabit LAN as all computers running smoothly with only one application, known to have occasional connectivity issues from it's site in NJ (and/or whatever cloud/CDN - content delivery providers they use) showing a few issues with buffering/signal loss.

That's all for the moment - hoping this is useful to more than just me (I'm even unsure of that!).

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @WitLessIdiot , I'd like our resident expert @Em_Will_I_Am to peek at this and give you his thoughts.  

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hi, what I'm gathering from your post is that you're having connectivity issues (correct me if I'm wrong). From your set up and your explanation I can see that you've found a way to have your speeds bumped up to a moderate pace, you've given quiet the run down so I don't really need to ask any questions. But I do want to ask for you nearest cross streets and ZIP code so I can check out the area since it seems like it happens mostly at your place. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Idlewild Ave. and Lakeview. Keep in mind that from prior chat support sessions they said if the SIM doesn't fix the problem I should get a replacement phone

The SIM didn't fix it and a phone has been ordered and likely left KY today (or tonight maybe - I've not followed it yet).

Thanks for following up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you, but see my post below - phone on the way per instructions from prior chat sessions regarding the problem.
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

No problem. I still checked the area out and it's in tip top shape. Your data and voice services should be great over there. The only issue in the area is an outage affecting 4G LTE that just started today. 

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

I'm really glad that you're going to get your replacement soon though. You can keep us updated as well on if that helps. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat