cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS issues with Galaxy S7

Journeyman

GPS issues with Galaxy S7

Hi Sprint Community,

I was hoping that you could help me solve GPS issues that I've been having on my Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U). I'm not getting GPS signal in certain areas, even when I have strong 4G LTE signal. This has been occurring all over the Los Angeles area. I'm currently on the Sprint Unlimited Free plan and my phone is running on Android 7.0. I've tried every possible fix mentioned in the forums to no avail, listed below:

1. Full reset of phone

2. Wiping cache

3. Trying GPS Toolbox & GPS Test apps

4. Dialing ##72786#

5. Turning on High Accuracy

I don't think this issue is due to a hardware issue because I get consistent GPS signal in my apartment. I've also read that because I'm on the Sprint free plan, there can be data deprioritization, but I'm only using around 1.5 GB of data per month. 

Can anyone help figure this out?

Thanks so much

11 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: GPS issues with Galaxy S7

Hey @smartiederek. Are you having any issues with your data across the board, or just GPS?

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

Hi @KRow32,

I occasionally have data issues, like having no data in areas where the Sprint coverage map shows I should have 4G LTE. But the GPS issue seems to happen both in areas with 4G LTE coverage and without. 

I should also mention that I have GPS issues even when connected to wifi. This seems very odd to me since I thought High Accuracy GPS utilizes surrounding wifi signals. 

Wizard

Good afternoon. That is weird. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

Hi everyone,

I just want to let the Sprint Community know that I ended up switching carriers and I don't have any GPS issues anymore with the same phone. This was obviously a Sprint-specific issue. 

Some more details that might be helpful to share: I realized that I was getting the GPS issue when I would move from an area with good signal to an area with bad signal. If I would then move to an area with mediocre 4G LTE signal, the GPS would not be restored. If I connected my phone to wifi, the GPS would also not be restored. The only things that seemed to fix the GPS was to either:

1) Move to an area with great 4G LTE signal

2) Restart my phone

Of course, this was very frustrating so I decided to switch carriers and I haven't had a single issue since!

If you're a Sprint rep/tech reading this, I plead you to look into this. You may end up losing more customers who have the same issue I did. 

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey Derek! Had you tried calibrating that phone's magnetic sensor?

Yes, I tried calibrating the sensor multiple times to no avail. If you read above, I tried using both the GPS Toolbox and GPS test apps to do this.

GrandMaster

when you switched your phone to high accuracy once you had ANY data signal whether wifi or mobile data you should have pulled that GPS signal back in..

high accuracy uses the regular GPS signal..as well as mobile data AND wifi to pull your location...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

did you enter the actual on-devices settings for the magnetic sensor itself by going:
Dialpad> *#0*#0, -> Sensor -> Magnetic Sensor -> rotate phone until the red line turns blue with a "3" at the bottom of the icon?

Hi fireguy_6364,

I always had my phone in High Accuracy mode (I never switched out of it). Sorry I should have been more clear about this. Yes, it's strange that the GPS signal was never pulled back in even with 4G LTE data & wifi signal.

I really think a Sprint engineer needs to look into this. This could be a very specific Sprint Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7 issue.

Journeyman

Hi HELPeR_Sprint ,

Yes, I tried doing this as well. Doing so wasn't able to restore the GPS signal.

GrandMaster

if it was a problem that came in with an update that would be on Sammy to fix..carriers dont really push how well or not so well their GPS is compared to the others lol..thats all on the phone itself..

which i guess could have been brought in with an Android update..but usually if something like that happened you would see a ton of flak in here about it..i DID however notice that your S7 should have had 8.0 instead of 7.0... 8.0 was released back in June for both the S7/S7 Edge.

i usually have zero issues except in areas with a ton of tall buildings..that GPS signal just cant make it down there with buildings blocking it from every angle..San Fransisco is my GPS nightmare area lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat