cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 / S8+ Owners: Who's ready for some Oreo?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Galaxy S8 / S8+ Owners: Who's ready for some Oreo?

Sprint and Samsung are rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.0 to Galaxy S8 and S8 plus devices! The update is ~CRB9 and should be available to download on all GS8 and GS8+ devices now.

S8-Oreo.JPG

The update is on the large side, about 1.5 GB. Make sure you have enough free space to fully  download the update before you begin. 

This is a major OS and UX update so make sure you allow 10-20 minutes for the download, update and finish-up processes to complete. The amount of time will vary depending on how much free storage space is available for the UX to move, cache and migrate files and apps.

Don't forget to check for app updates after the update is complete. There will likely be many apps that have been updated to support features of Android Oreo from the Google Play app store, and updated support for SX 9.0 for Samsung apps from the Galaxy Apps Market. 

Enjoy the OS and UX updates!

~Ninja CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
17 REPLIES 17
Wizard

Re: Galaxy S8 / S8+ Owners: Who's ready for some Oreo?

The update has overall been pretty good, however, there are several issues with this new software update on my S8+ that are bothersome so I'll report them here: 

1. Battery life has been awful. I already factory reset the phone after the update, which usually gets rid of artifacts and such. There are many apps that are crashing in the background and I have reported them to those app devs the best I can. 

2. Charging now makes the device quite warm, which wasn't the case previously. The phone will indicate "fast charging" or "fast wireless charging" but it's charging quite slowly. 

3. I'm getting double notification sounds on a lot of my apps, but not all. This seems like an app specific thing and perhaps not a Samsung issue, but one I will report nonetheless. Apps like Twitter, Outlook, Gmail, etc. give double audio notifications, so like 2 chirps for twitter. 

4. Notifications seem delayed pretty heavily in some cases. I'll get multiple notifications in a row that are hours if not days old?? Again, could be app specific. Some come from apps that are not "sleeping" and are allowed to never sleep. This also could be a hiccup in the software itself though and the background usage of data. 

5. "App Stack" which is samsung specific to the phone crashes quite frequently. 

6. Camera video recording lags for 3-4 seconds before actually recording.

7. Do Not Disturb scheduling seems to be flaky. It should turn on at 10pm for me nightly, but often I'll have to manually do it in the middle of the night when notifications start dinging away. It does disable itself as it should in the morning at 5am. 

Not a ton of value added in the update here, but overall not that terrible. Again, I've already factory reset and rebuilt the phone from scratch (no Samsung backup or google backed up app data). 

Thanks for the feedback! I will certainly pass this along to see if we can correlate with the experience of others. We appreciate your candid information.

~Ninja CJ

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Wizard

No major issues so far there as far.. Smiley Happy  As far as with Apps I had no major issues with them I'm sure though that some will be pushing out their own updates to fix any minor bugs that might have occurred with Oreo update. But this is nothing new folks have to remember it's always this way after a major update. Smiley Happy 

GrandMaster

@mmark271_ is pretty well versed in troubleshooting device issues. been working with him off and on since the original Evo lol.  about 9ish years give or take?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am not a fan of the update at all, it adds useless features such as a gify keyboard but it took away important features like individual text tones.  I have contacted Samsung and according to their tech support they have no idea why this feature has been removed and apparently they have had numerous customers call on it.  

You purchase a phone for certain features and its completely unfair and ridiculous that they can be taken away at any moment and you are still stuck paying for a phone I never would have bought if I knew this would happen.  I have owned a Samsung phone with a sprint account for over a decade and I've watched the customer support/service dwindle.  I was completely unimpressed with all 4 customer service reps I have spoken to this morning  not only were they uninformed they were rude and kept trying to get me to upgrade early to the s9. 

I am disgusted

GrandMaster

are you really saying you only bought that phone because of its text notifications and now that you no longer have individual sound abilities the phone is un usable to you?

it was a blooper on Samsungs side that needs corrected..nothing more. which mind you ALL their S8's that received this have this problem..no matter the carrier.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@ajpod130 - 

First, let me thank you for being a loyal Sprint customer. That truly means a lot to all of us at Sprint. We don't take it for granted. We know you have choices, so we will do our best to listen and help provide answers.

Can you detail for me the specific features that you feel are now missing from the Android 8 / Oreo + Samsung Experience 9 update?

"individual text tones"

Are you referring to being able to set custom alert sounds for individual contacts?

Are you referring to being able to set personal sounds for when you tap on (virtual) buttons?

Or something else?

What other features are missing or changed?

I can't guarantee we can "fix" this if it's a change made to the Samsung Experience (UI) or something specific to Android 8.0. But we will do our very best to figure it out.

Thanks for helping us understand the issues that you are experiencing.

~Ninja CJ

@ajpod130 - 

I didn't get a response from you about the specifics of the "individual text tones" issue which you are not happy with. So I am making an assumption that you mean to say that you are no longer able to assign custom alerts for individual contacts.

I've dug in a bit on this. This is an issue (can't call it a "feature") with SX (Samsung Experience) 9.0 (f.k.a. "TouchWiz"). Many people on different technical threads are complaining about the lack of ability to customize alerts per individual contact after upgrading or setting up their Samsung S8, S8+, Note 8, S9, S9+...with Android 8.0 / Oreo and SX 9.0 using the default SMS app ("Samsung Messages").

The good news is that we are dealing with Android. Which means nearly every aspect of the device is customizable and there are plenty of ways to accomplish such tasks.

I personally like and use the SMS app called "Android Messages" from Google. It's free to install from Google Play app market. It will allow you to peronalize alerts from individual contacts as well as make other custom settings to your liking. The interface is simple, clean and feature rich. 

As to your other point about "useless features such as a gify keyboard" I also recommend and use the Gboard keyboard app, also from Google. Much like Android Messages, the interface is clean, simple, intuitive and customizable. You can add or take away the GIF buttons, or add/remove a dedicated number row, pick a color theme, and more.

I hope you find this helpful so that you can get back to enjoying your Samsung S8/S8+.

~Ninja CJ

Journeyman

Thank You for the response, loosing customizable alerts were my main issue with the update.  I am not in a position at work to always check my phone so it is important for me to know if I'm getting a message from someone important or not.

I was having a lot of programs suddenly stop working after the initial oreo update but after all the apps have updated everything is running much smoother now.  However, I am still having a problem with icon badges. They are turned on but still don't show up (programs like email and Instagram) any ideas? 

Thank you for the app suggestion, I will download it and try it

GrandMaster

this is also something i am noticing across the board with carriers and the S8 Oreo update.

The issue related to icon badges has been a long-standing issue with Android, particularly on devices that have a "Custom" aka OEM UI overlay. The heart of the issue is with the UI and/or app developer and how they incorporate the icon badge notification API within the SDK.

Go into: Settings > Notifications > App icon badges

When App icon badges is "disabled" you should see a generic, colored "dot" for icon badges, indicating a new alert is available. And you should be able to long-press the badge dot to see the new alert count. But that's not how SX 9.0 or most Android 8.0 apps work. You have to specifically enable App icon badges to see any icon badge, which is a "count" badge.

That said: You will ONLY see app icon badges on apps icons if...

1) The app developer specifically coded the app icon badge notification into the app.

2) Samsung Experience 9.0 allows / provides; which is (arguably) just Samsung UI apps and SX "partner" apps; e.g. LastPass, which is the official auto-fill / single-PW tool of choice for Android Oreo.

Here's a link to how Android developers detail how notifications work.

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html

Bottom line: You won't see app icon badges on most apps on your Samsung SX 9.0/Android Oreo device. The few apps that you will see app icon badges will be the native SX 9.0 apps and Android partner developed apps.

If you want to do some testing (or regain some control over app behavior away from SX 9.0) then you can download and trial a different Launcher. Nova Launcher is very popular. You can launch an alternate launcher and not set as "default" to trial the experience. You will see which apps are truly utilizing the Android icon badge SDK, and which may be suppressed by SX 9.0 UI.

Hope this helps.

~Ninja CJ

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat