Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

The update I received this morning G950USQU5DSD3 is giving Wi-Fi calling a fit. This has happened previously on other versions and either works itself out or an update fixes it. Never really pay attention except curse the phone and carrier. Today I've probably received 6 alerts while in the office:

Location timeout

Wi-Fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your locating method to High accuracy.

The issue is "Improve location accuracy" is already on so not sure what else it wants me to turn on.

104 REPLIES 104
Highlighted

RobKimWill - I can definitely help you with this issue. I'll need to access the account. My name is Juan, I am part of the Sprint social care team. Please send us a private message with your name, account holder's name, phone number, security PIN or the answer to the security question on the account.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Juan,

Are you able to provide help with the Galaxy S8 on Pie having location timeout errors if not able to pick up an LTE signal - and thus wifi calling won't work, or are you just offering to help out Bob with the Airave 2.5 to Airave 4 upgrade?

Highlighted

It would be nice to get an update on the issue other than how Airave can solve the problem. I can't recall if it was in this thread or another,  but we were able to get a tier three update on the issue. 

From the Sprint website (last updated 10/29/19):

What is the advantage of Wi-Fi Calling?

Wi-Fi Calling provides the ability to call or message from almost anywhere a Wi-Fi connection is available. The service provides enhanced coverage in locations that have limited or no mobile network coverage. Wi-Fi Calling calls do not count against any minute limits on your Sprint plan. With Wi-Fi Calling, you can still use the internet and apps while on an active call.

DP

Highlighted

preskitt_man - I'm trying to replace the Airave for Rob. There isn't a solution for the Galaxy S8 calling location Timeout issue as of yet.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

That's what I unfortunately figured.  Does seem to me considering the number of S8 users out there (not exactly an obsolete phone), Sprint has has had more than enough time work on a solution.  This began with the Pie update back in March/April of 2019.

Highlighted

Thanks Juan. I appreciate the response.  Is there a process to escalate this from a customer perspective? The social team members have been responsive and helpful in the multiple threads on this issue, but no real, official response from Sprint.  

Sprint says its Samsung, Samsung says its Sprint since the other carriers don't seem to have the issue. 

DP

Highlighted

D_Pike - I went back to some older thread regarding the location timeout issue. This was escalated to Samsung back in May 2019. I want to tell you that I have the solution but unfortunately it has to come from Samsung. 

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

can you give us some help on that - a case # or something to contact Samsung with?  

Highlighted

Frankly, this sounds fairly ridiculous. Sprint and Samsung are partners.  I (and many others) bought this phone from Sprint, and this problem, to the best of my knowledge is only affecting Sprint customers.  Hard to believe, Samsung won't let Sprint help their customers out on this.

Highlighted

I've started a thread with samsung on this.. Head over and add to it if you'd like.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8/WiFi-Calling-Sprint/td-p/1036456

DP

Highlighted

Juan, is there any kind of ticket # or issue # associated with the escalation?  I'd like to pass it along to Samsung.

DP

Highlighted

@Sprint_Juan 
How do I find out if my home address qualifies for an AIRAVE? There is a 100% dead spot in my neighborhood as I drive in and out everyday. I usually get a signal at my house. However, the signal is weak and spotty enough that when I am in some rooms, I get no signal and get the location timeout notification.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat