cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

The update I received this morning G950USQU5DSD3 is giving Wi-Fi calling a fit. This has happened previously on other versions and either works itself out or an update fixes it. Never really pay attention except curse the phone and carrier. Today I've probably received 6 alerts while in the office:

Location timeout

Wi-Fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your locating method to High accuracy.

The issue is "Improve location accuracy" is already on so not sure what else it wants me to turn on.

104 REPLIES 104
Highlighted

c_j_m - We know how important it is to stay connected. The Airave is a Voice signal booster that works with high speed internet. Are you having trouble with voice or data?

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

I believe this aspect of things startedcwith me. I havecavGalaxy S8 running Pie. Since the Pie update last Spring, the S8 will get a location timeout if it can't detect an LTE signal. Andvbecause ofvthat timeout, the S8 will notvdo WiFi calling. A double whammy. Sprint will not orccan not provideca firmwarevfix for this. However, if one has an Airave 3 or 4, the Airave provides an LTE signal, and the phonevdoes not get a location timeout and wifi calling will work. The phoneccan also benefit from the LTEV  and CDMA coverage provided. 

Highlighted

I understand the Airave aspect of the solution.. I even used to use an Airave until wi-fi calling became useable.. Since then I've solely used wifi calling with no problem (until Pie).  We shouldn't have to purchase an additional item to enable a feature that Sprint advertises as a working feature..  I have no problem with others choosing to use an Airave to solve their problem if they are inclined to do so.  Even today, the Sprint website touts the ability to use wifi-calling for service areas with little to no cell coverage.  It's just not true though if you have a Samsung device and Android Pie.

DP

Highlighted

Received an update a couple days ago and I will say Wifi Calling timeouts with GPS location appeared to have stopped. Software version G950USQU7DSL3 is what I have. Let me know if anyone else has the update and has noticed improvement. Cell signal is still low bars in the office, so don't think it was a cell tower improvement (we all know that doesn't happen 😉 )
Highlighted

I'm going to agree with you..  Since receiving the latest OTA December update (DSL3) the issue seems to be significantly improved.  I've been verifying the results since the update to confirm.. I was able to confirm that the cell tower signal is still low to none on my side and wifi calling is working.  It appears that it's no longer tied to cell tower signal and has been reverted back to using pure GPS. Neither Sprint or Samsung have confirmed the fix, and it isn't listed in the changelist for the update, but it does appear to be resolved.

DP

Highlighted

My last update was Jan 3, and my version is G955USQU7DSL3/G955UOYN7DSL3/955USQU7DSL3.  Security patch level Dec 1, 2019.  I have had my WiFi calling turned off.  Turning on now and will see if I get the location messages.  Stay Tuned.

Highlighted

Got the same patch several days ago.  And the problem does seem to be resolved. Didn't notice at first, because was not expecting a fix with this patch and my Airave is still kicking out a signal which also eliminated the problem for me within the home.  With this patch, though, I can even put my phone into airplane mode, turn on wi-fi, and i'm still able to use wi-fi calling.

Prior to this, I did call Samsung. They were worthless. Just cookbook solutions - factory reset the phone, reseat the sim card. reset the network.  

Anyway, I am a happy camper now. 

Preskitt_man

Highlighted

Yeah, it's fixed.  I've been working with Samsung on this issue.  The latest update for the GS8 is supposed to resolve this problem.  They finally figured out the problem in about September and then it took time to get the fix implemented.  The software version is G950USQU7DSL3 or G955USQU7DSL3 for the 8+.  

Highlighted

Thank you for confirming and thank you for diligently working to get this fixed. It's REALLY nice to have a working phone again! 

DP

Highlighted

It really was a team effort.  We had been screaming about this since April 2019!  The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right??

@D_Pike wrote:

Thank you for confirming and thank you for diligently working to get this fixed. It's REALLY nice to have a working phone again! 

DP

Highlighted

Awesome! Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am and everyone on your team for fixing this!
Highlighted

Yes, thanks to all for working together to identify this issue and get it resolved.  Now I have less of a reason to trade in my S8 for an S11 :)). 

I'll also have to decide what to do with my Airave 4.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat