cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

The update I received this morning G950USQU5DSD3 is giving Wi-Fi calling a fit. This has happened previously on other versions and either works itself out or an update fixes it. Never really pay attention except curse the phone and carrier. Today I've probably received 6 alerts while in the office:

Location timeout

Wi-Fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your locating method to High accuracy.

The issue is "Improve location accuracy" is already on so not sure what else it wants me to turn on.

104 REPLIES 104
Highlighted

You can send it back, but don't just unplug it or you will be hit with a non-use fee.  It's like $120+. S11...LOL...as if. 😉

@preskitt_man wrote:

Yes, thanks to all for working together to identify this issue and get it resolved.  Now I have less of a reason to trade in my S8 for an S11 :)). 

I'll also have to decide what to do with my Airave 4.

Highlighted

But it is sort of nice seeing all those LTE bars lit up :)). Will keep it for now - make sure the next security update doesn't take it away.

Since I spend a lot of time at home (am retired), I am just keeping the phone now with Airplane mode On and WiFi On.  Battery life is amazing.

Highlighted

Airwave 4.0 solved my issue.  Thank you!

Highlighted

Hi @Em_Will_I_Am , I have Samsung S8 and with Sprint and still have this issue. How do I get G950USQU7DSL3 on my device? When I try to check for updates, it says "Your software is up to date". My current software version is G950U1UES7DSL2/G950U1OYM7DSL2/G950U1UES7DSL2. SECURITY PATCH LEVEL : DECEMBER 1, 2019. I am struggling with this issue for past 3 months, spent lot of time with sprint support, no luck. Please help.

Highlighted

Hi rupesh40. The The software version G950USQU7DSL3 or G955USQU7DSL3 for the 8+ was suppose to fix that issue.

Can you have missed some past update for the device? I've read a few articles with similar issues and there is the possibility that the device is a few updates behind. Have you tried to use Smart Switch? When downloaded onto your computer you can use the program to update the device as long as that update was pushed out to your device at one point. 

Update from a computer:

• Use a Samsung USB cable.
  • Back up your data prior to completing the update.

During the update, do not:

• Use the device or press any keys.
  • Remove the battery, if applicable.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Disconnect the USB cable until the update is complete.

You will not be able to place a call during the update, not even an emergency call.

1. Download and install Samsung Smart Switch that is compatible with your computer from http://www.samsung.com/us/support/smart-switch-support/#!/.
  2. Connect the cable to a compatible USB port on your computer.
  3. Connect the other end of the cable to your mobile device.
  4. Allow your computer to install any required drivers for your device. This process may take a few minutes.
  5. Open Smart Switch on your computer, and allow it to make the connection.
  6. If a software update is available for your device, Smart Switch will automatically prompt you to update. At any time, you can click Update.
  7. Click Update to begin downloading the necessary files.
  8. Click OK to proceed.Your device may turn off and on a few times during the update process. Once complete the device will return to the Home screen.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Thanks @Sprint_Juan . I will try smartswitch update and check. Appreciate your help.

Highlighted

Pleasse come back and let us know if this worked. Thank you for posting.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Hi @Sprint_Juan , tried to update using smart switch. It says "Your device software is up to date : SL2". Is there any other way to get the SL3 on my device?

Highlighted

So, for what it's worth, the security update on my phone does end in DSL3 - the entire update is code is: G859YSQU7DSL3 and it said to be security patch level 1 December 2019.  This is the patch that fixed the location timeout.  I got it as an OTA download.  I found a download link for it on SamMobile: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s8/firmware/SM-G950U/USC/download/G950USQU7DSL3/309140/

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat