cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Journeyman

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

The update I received this morning G950USQU5DSD3 is giving Wi-Fi calling a fit. This has happened previously on other versions and either works itself out or an update fixes it. Never really pay attention except curse the phone and carrier. Today I've probably received 6 alerts while in the office:

Location timeout

Wi-Fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your locating method to High accuracy.

The issue is "Improve location accuracy" is already on so not sure what else it wants me to turn on.

29 REPLIES 29
GrandMaster

Re: Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

should be 3 options to choose from in there..what options is it giving you?

also are you having any issues with GPS locations? if you pull up Google maps or anything like that is your location decently accurate?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I see this same issue on the S10's with all location options enabled.

I think it gets upset when it can't actually have a "GPS" signal and/or the GPS with mobile network signal fade (which is kind of the point of WiFi calling, crap mobile service!!). GPS of course can fade indoors also, especially in newer buildings with foil roof lining and e glass blocking signals etc. lol

I originally thought maybe it was doing a check when connecting to a new channel or SID but have ruled that out too.

I can put it on a single WiFi AP that has uptime monitoring to the endpoint WiFi calling uses and it still randomly happens with 0.00% packet loss and latency under 30ms.

I suspect, and can be wrong, the issue is related to the fact that when the location fails it's unable to determine it from the WiFi either for whatever reason. Though TBH on my S9 before I traded it in, running the pie beta firmwares I never had issues AND I never had WiFi or Bluetooth location enabled even... I suspect something changed once they went to final rev or in later patches.

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

should be 3 options to choose from in there..what options is it giving you?

also are you having any issues with GPS locations? if you pull up Google maps or anything like that is your location decently accurate?Screenshot_20190424-102601_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20190424-102610_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20190424-102650_Settings.jpg

This is what I get when I click on the error message.

Immediately after getting the message and with phone still showing roaming Google Maps pinpointed my location exactly.

Journeyman

I don't think WiFi calling goes by these settings anyway.

If you look at "recent location requests' you will see it's not even listed.

Everything it does is at a much lower system level. I think it specifically only uses GPS and Mobile network location information. If one or both fail it seems to throw up and actually kill the session.

It really should maintain the session based on last known location unless IMO WiFi is cycled or the network it's connected to changes in any way.

GrandMaster

oddly enough im running the LG G6 and have never had the location time out on me..i have had it not connect to my wifi...but have yet to have it time out.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm thinking it requires a "perfect storm" condition to actually happen so the error rate seems low so can't say for sure if it's in generally would happen to folks or just the sammy folks are noticing it more since we're looking for problems already lol.

I haven't been able to narrow down if it's just no GPS signal randomly causing or the mobile data playing a role.

If someone has the issue often enough the way to eliminate mobile data playing a part is put the phone in airplane mode and re-enable wifi with calling enabled. Wait and see if it happens anymore over a long period of time. Though I guess this could be flawed test too since the app may handle itself different in a flat out no signal situation vs a weak signal that fades in and out constantly.

I can't test this sadly as I need to be able to have messages and WiFi calling does NOT cover MMS which a lot of my messages end up being and because of the somewhat random nature of it all it can go long periods of time before the issue happens.

If they'd change the silly property to allow MMS over WiFi this would be less of an issue. I also don't feel like using a third party app to allow it over WiFi because that breaks the Samsung Galaxy watch since it requires "native" apps be used...

I can say my AT&T that uses WiFi calling in the same locations does not have this issue but it's not a Sammy (I didn't want two of the same phones). I live in semi faraday cage that doesn't discriminate on providers lol They all get 0-1 bar equally hah.

Journeyman

Becoming frustrating, immediately upon walking into my office this morning I get the alert of the timeout. I'm sure I'll get these a couple dozen times again today. This update has made the cell service worse somehow. My phone is roaming a bunch more in the office than it has in the past. I believe I'm sandwiched right in the middle of 2 towers or something. I can watch at times my signal max out and then drop to nothing.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey there @lancer1991,

Have we sent a refresh to your device from our end? It could help update the settings and see if we can get the wifi to stop timing out. 

Journeyman

@mediamvn_sprint wrote:

Hey there @lancer1991,

Have we sent a refresh to your device from our end? It could help update the settings and see if we can get the wifi to stop timing out. 

No refresh has been sent.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Okay, I'm going to shoot you a private message to get some more information. 

Journeyman

Just to keep everyone informed. Went through the refresh from Sprint and seemed to be working, but about 45 minutes after just received another location timeout. Has to be something with that update. Noticed last night an area that I usually have reduced data signal where things slow down, basically not download anything at all until I moved out of that area.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat