cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

I am having the same issue w/ my unlocked Galaxy S8+.  WI-FI Calling keeps reporting a location timeout.  After a few of these alerts, it disables WIFI Calling entirely.  I tried a ##72786# with no success.  The only way that I was able to restore WIFI Calling was to delete the cache partition; however, that's no a long-term solution to do every couple of hours.

What's odd is that I can no longer see where to enter my address, like I was able to do under Oreo.  

Am I going to need to perform a factory reset of the phone?  

Journeyman

Hi there,

Is this only happening in one specific location? 

GrandMaster

for both of you...when you connect to your wifi at home. is there more than one option? as in do you see your wifi but one is 2.5 and the other is 5.0? if so which one are you connecting to?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am connected to my 5 GHz WiFi at home.  I can see my 2.4 GHz network too. I've been home for about an hour now and have not (yet) received any location errors.

Thanks  

GrandMaster

thats the one. 2.4. if it happens again try running on 2.4 to see if it still happens or not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I just received the location error at work, where I'm signed onto a 2.4 GHz network. Here's something that's interesting.  I just happened to need to take a photo of a receipt for an expense report.  When I went into the photo app, a pop up appeared saying that I needed to turn on advanced location services. I do indeed have the search wifi and search Bluetooth options enabled  

So it's not just the phone part that has issues.  Photos and I'd imagine other apps that use location too aren't working properly.

Maybe this is a real bug. 

GrandMaster

its possible. when this happens what is your reception like?

then again im seeing most of these reports on Samsung phones mainly..i have a LG G6 and dont run into this..i do get the random "can not connect" here and there..but no location time outs..did it do this prior to Pie?

Journeyman

Reception varies from almost no signal to near-full signal.  Since I noticed the warning message in photos, I've checked that each time I get the WIFI Locaion notification.  Each time the photo app says that it cannot get a location.  It does not matter if I have a poor or great Sprint signal.  The photo app always gives the "cannot find location" warning each and every time I start it.  

It really looks like this is a real bug and not just tied to WIFI Calling.

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

its possible. when this happens what is your reception like?

then again im seeing most of these reports on Samsung phones mainly..i have a LG G6 and dont run into this..i do get the random "can not connect" here and there..but no location time outs..did it do this prior to Pie?

GrandMaster

since yall have Pie..im wondering if it might have something to do with battery consumption..as in the phone is throttling things back to conserve battery and locations is one of them? either of you by chance running battery saver mode?

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

since yall have Pie..im wondering if it might have something to do with battery consumption..as in the phone is throttling things back to conserve battery and locations is one of them? either of you by chance running battery saver mode?

Sorry, for delayed response on everything. No power saving mode turned on here.

To the other questions about location, I only use Wifi calling at the office as it's the only location I have crappy cell signal why Wifi is available. At home I have a good cell signal and don't connect to any other Wifi besides those 2.

Connected to 2.4 MHz signal, for some reason my office 5 GHz signal isn't showing up.

Cell signal does appear to be a little better today and not seeing it pop into roaming. Only received one alert so far this morning. Will have to keep an eye on if the alerts show when it goes into roaming or happens whenever.

GrandMaster

so the message is popping up when you either loose your Sprint signal or are in roaming?

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

so the message is popping up when you either loose your Sprint signal or are in roaming?

That's what I'm wanting to confirm. My cell signal doesn't seem to be roaming today in the office where it was a lot previously. I was getting more timeout's it seemed when roaming. So far only the one today and I'm not roaming, so thinking that may be a factor. By the end of the day I should know better.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat