cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

GrandMaster

Re: Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

when it popped up today it was right around the time you lost signal correct? even if it was a blip of lost signal and not fully kicked over to roaming?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

when it popped up today it was right around the time you lost signal correct? even if it was a blip of lost signal and not fully kicked over to roaming?

That I don't know. I'm waiting for the alert to pop up again so I can change the sound setting on it also as I have a few apps that use the default sound still so I don't tend to check it immediately. It's been about 5 hours now since that only alert this morning and haven't noticed the phone go into roaming so definitely beginning to think it's a lose of signal thing. So if that is the case then there obviously is a bug as it shouldn't be relying on the cell signal for location when on Wifi as that in a whole is defeating the purpose of enabling the Wifi calling as most would enable to cover for crappy coverage.

GrandMaster

unless its kicking that error due to the loss and the app needing that location info for 911 purposes. its possible.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

So I've been watching this on my S10, which has the same issue a lot of times.

Here's some additional findings

What I am seeing is anytime the WiFi calling request location it seems to do so over LTE. If you have no LTE it seems to have this issue. This can include no signal, or roaming (since most roaming isn't LTE today still). Sometimes it won't trigger the first time as I suspect some retry period exist.

This is at least the case with VoLTE calling enabled in an area that is NOT VoLTE enabled yet.

With VoLTE calling disabled it seems to maybe try to use the 3G network, which same applies. If no data, issue. If roaming, issue (because Sprint's 3G roaming is actually 1x, not 3g speeds so it times out) This is due to PRL choices made by them though...

The VoLTE toggle plays a small role in decisions the handset makes, regardless of it being available or not since it has to always look for availability.

I'm not sure if GPS comes into play and it can't get GPS so jumps to mobile network next or what (I get poor GPS indoors, if any) but WiFi is also able to be used for location (just less accurate) but doesn't seem to be used.

The whole 911 thing is messy. The address initially sent when you call 911 on WiFi calling is the one programmed into the WiFi calling advanced settings. Some centers can in return request additional data which may or may not include location via other means when available such as GPS or mobile.

I think this WiFi calling thing is just a shame. It can literally put lives in risk because if you have no cell coverage and say need to call 911 but it's doing this stupid crap which actually results in it dropping the WiFi calling VPN and re-building it that is wasted time. If it fails to rebuild you're SOL.

They really need to take this more serious and look into it. Between WiFi calling and the LTE issue that happened with S10 I've actually had one 911 call fail myself. Thankfully it wasn't as life threatening but so far I'm seeing no indication this is going to Sammy or Sprint looking into with them. Just general troubleshooting with it being ignored (except by consumers here trying to help each other) because the impacted user % is low since in most cases users have some sort of data coverage still on mobile and not run into this.

I've reproduced this on 3 new Galaxy S10 myself on every software version since launch... Yes it requires specific environment to occur but it's fixable and happens obviously for some others.

Journeyman

So today it's a little cloudy and signal seems to be worse today than yesterday. Sure enough seems like when the alert arrives there is no bars showing when I log in. I don't think it ever drops completely out of signal as I don't get that alert, but probably near not having a signal at all. Just didn't seem to get this before that Pie update. Did during an update back in Oreo but seemed to work it self clear after that and was solid until now.

Journeyman

I've been able to confirm on my device (S10) the issue is that if you have no mobile data and/or poor GPS it will time out.

I think they increased the frequency it is pulled in P or when.

It used to only check during initial connect and during an emergency call.

Now it periodically does.

It's crappy because the point of WiFi calling is when indoor with poor mobile data or none. Yet GPS is an issue in most buildings these days even. I get GPS is required to check location to ensure compliance if it's allowed to be used etc. but it should really only happen on connect, WiFi roam, or emergency call... Instead it kills the VPN tunnel, knocks WiFi calling offline and tries to start over. Great for missing calls/text.

It won't do it on an active call though for what that's worth. It will just silent fail and maintain the connection.

Journeyman

I've been dealing with this same issue for over a month now (when my S8 updated to Android pie. I use Wi-Fi calling at home and at the office because I have a poor sprint signal at both places. I can't go 15 minutes without the location timeout notification. There has to be a fix for this. I have to imagine that there are a lot of people that use Wi-Fi calling because of a poor signal. Are they not all having this same problem? 

Journeyman

Okay, this issue is still ongoing and very frustrating. If the idea of WiFi calling is to help provide a signal through the internet while connected to WiFi, then why does it work so crappy. Might as well turn it off and deal with the horrible cell signal in my office. Just tried to send a text message and my phone said waiting for network connection. Alert for "Location Unavailable" has gone off about 15 times in less than an hour today.

Is Sprint working on a resolution to this issue?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I hear ya lancer1991, and yes this is very frustrating. With the most recent update, the way a devices verify your location for 911, was changed. Now this location verification needs an LTE signal to mark the location. This is the way your location will be tagged moving forward. At this time, there are no indication that this tagging will revert back to the old way.  

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Be nice if you could assign an address to a WiFi connection to remedy the issue. Thanks for the info.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I'll be more than happy to look into that for you. May I have a couple cross streets, and the zip? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply. I would love an option to disable the notification ("Do not show this again" checkbox or something like that).

Can you really assign a location to a wifi connection?
Zip: 23112
Cross Streets: Buck Rub Dr & Affirmed Dr
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat