cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi calling location timeout

Having same issue. Local sprint store gave me this workaround. Open Phone app. Dial ##72786# I will reset your phone on the network. The error messages will stop for awhile. I've found I have to reset my S8+ 2 or 3 times per day. Sucks but better than the constant error going off.
Journeyman

I just found this post while looking for a fix for this problem.  As some have also stated, "it is very frustrating".  Every 30 seconds I get a notification to improve acuuracy...  blah blah blah.  A reboot fixes it until we receive a call, then it starts again.  I haven't tried the reset thing, but I imagine it will do the same thing,  Our Galaxy S5 works fine, but the S8+ keeps failing in our house. 

Is there no way to turn off notifications for WiFi calling?  

Journeyman

Just came across this post searching for an fix to this exact same problem.   Have on with Sprint support for hours over several sessions doing various resets.  In some cases the problem will resolve fo about 30 minutes and then come back.  We have 4 Galaxy S8s in the family and have this problem on all of them. 

Anyone have any luck with a resolution? 

Journeyman

I don't believe Sprint has a fix for this.  I've read it has something to do with the mode Android Pie uses to register on the Sprint network.  I also suspect the weak Sprint signal where I live is contributing to the issue.  I have to reset mine as stated above at least once per day and often times more than that.

GrandMaster

im still leaning towards something Samsung changed around that they shouldnt have.

you dont see any reports of this with other devices that also have Pie.  just this one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ok - this seems to be from another thread (https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Location-Timeout/td-p/1039319) a well hashed out topic. To summarize what is there

a) The problem is that for many, one is getting very frequent GPS Location Timeouts when WiFi calling is enabled. The message suggests turning up location accuracy, but for those of us reporting the issue, location accuracy is set to high already

a) Problem seems to be common with the S8/S9/S10 (and + variants)

b) Problem seems to have begun with the Pie update 

c) It has been reported that Samsung changed its method for getting the location - for the purposes of WiFi calling, it needs to get the location from the nearest Sprint tower. Some even suggest nearest Sprint LTE tower.

d) For those of us with the problem, the issue is we are not in receiving range of a Sprint tower - the biggest reason we are using WiFi calling in the first place.

Sprint seems to blame Samsung for all this and washes its own hands of the issue.

First of all, the absurdity of this approach is obvious - there are a variety of way the phone can determine its location, GPS and WiFi being the most obvious, in addition to a cell tower.

Second, while possibly this code originated with Samsung, Sprint needs to own up to this as they put their logo and code all over this phone before we ever receive it.

Third, it has not gone unnoticed, at least by me, that WiFi calling and VOLTE have been cojoined in the the same configuration. So maybe that is why this is happening - as long as you are already pinging a tower for VOLTE, let's ping it for WiFi calling as well.

At various times, Sprint has acknowledged the issue, and sort of promised a future monthly update would resolve the issue - this has not happened!

If nothing else, I would like to add my own case to the record for what ever added incentive that might be to Sprint to look into and resolve this issue. I have been with Sprint since 1996, and feel like they should owe me something for that.

If WiFi calling actually worked despite the timeouts, I could live with that (I changed the notification sound for this to silent). My call disconnects and texting failures suggest otherwise.

Tags (1)
GrandMaster

quickie lil question that will help point the finger in the right direction...

can you name any other manufacturers phones that also have pie and are running into this same exact issue?

last i remembered it was rumored to be an issue with GPS/LTE/WFC having to ALL have a connection compared to before where it was either or...there was a change up in there that was missed or not mentioned and since most testing is done in controlled environments its not a huge shocker that it was missed until Pie got kicked out to everyone and basically got "field tested".

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Doing a search on "wifi calling location timeout" with no reference to Samsung, Android, nor Sprint, most references I see are to Sprint. Virtually all are to Samsung. The ones for AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Telestra seem focused on a different issue - that issue being frequent prompts to turn on WiFi calling whenever the phone connects to WiFi.  I can also state with certainty that my wife's iPhone does not have this issue (location timeouts) and she is on Sprint with the same general lack of cell service connectivity when we are home.

GrandMaster

yup...for the most part Pie itself brought in its own issues (kind of the norm when it comes to updates anyways)...but how the phone is trying to search out connections is all on the manufacturer..as well as which combo of connections is needed in order for things to work. Sprint can keep hammering them on it but no info will be passed down to us until something more solid is given. as in Samsung and Sprint finally figure out the culprit and are working on a fix.

Journeyman

I agree that bottom line, it's on Samsung to fix the problem. So, I got to thinking about this more.  Intellectually, it doesn't make sense to me that WiFi calling in essence depends upon having a cell tower in relative proximity - you can certainly get gps location in other ways and apparently other manufacturers (in particular Apple) do so. So why hasn't Samsung said, OMG, we made a mistake and corrected the situation.  Several reasons I think. As I have observed, this seems to be a problem more with Sprint than with other carriers.  And my guess is, Sprint carries less clout with Samsung than Verizon, AT&T or TMobile. But that raises the question, why is this problem apparently more prevalent on Sprint than the other guys.  Basically, the other guys have better networks than Sprint. The chance of not being anywhere near a Verizon tower are a lot slimmer than that being true with Sprint. And if you truly have to be near not just any tower, but an LTE capable tower, the chances of that happening with Sprint are all that much greater.

So, I do have an AirRave 3 - so I should have less to bitch about, but it's not a panacea. Voice quality over AirRave is much poorer than either WiFi Calling or VOLTE (even though AirRave supports LTE, it doesn't support VOLTE). And, curiously, if AirRave is enabled, it effectively kill WiFi calling. You can't win Smiley Happy

Journeyman

So the quandary is, why after resetting the phone on the Sprint Network with the ##72786# workaround, would it nominally perform for a few hours to a few days while remaining in the original physical location, then again begin throwing the same error?  

Journeyman

Good question.  I did the same thing along with a PRL and Profile update. And things got better, but problem didn't go entirely away.  My guess is, it might have "optimized" things a bit better for the tower that it can sort of see.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat