cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9+ and VoLTE

Journeyman

Galaxy S9+ and VoLTE

My question is simple. Since the Galaxy S9+ is the current flagship device, will VoLTE be made available for it and the users who are loyal to Sprint? Or, will Sprint be totalitarian and force us to upgrade to a new device even though our currently device is still basically brand-new?

17 REPLIES 17
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Galaxy S9+ and VoLTE

The Samsung Galaxy s9+ has the capability of simultaneous voice and data. This phone should work just fine when VoLTE is released.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
GrandMaster

not sure what loyalty would do for you with this but if that device was purchased from Sprint it should currently have Calling Plus on it..the beta semi version of VoLTE....up until they actually kick out VoLTE.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Community Manager

@bygxexyonly1 wrote:

My question is simple. Since the Galaxy S9+ is the current flagship device, will VoLTE be made available for it and the users who are loyal to Sprint? Or, will Sprint be totalitarian and force us to upgrade to a new device even though our currently device is still basically brand-new?

Flagship devices released in 2017 and 2018 will be VoLTE capable.

Journeyman

Hi there! 

I have been s Sprint customer for 20 years. 1.5 years ago I had S8 active and enjoyed having VoLTE on it A LOT - it's coverage is great in Chicago where I live. VoLTE is essential to my work - I need to be able to look stuff up, stay online while on phone with clients etc. 

Later I switched to S9Plus and to my amazement was unable to find VoLTE as an option. I resorted to the "LTE Calling Beta" but 30-40% of the time people or I have very hard time hearing me using this connection. When I switch the feature off voice connection improves, but I lose the simultaneous data. I had the same problem on the S8 until VoLTE was implemented. VoLTE connectivity on S8 was totally fine, solved all these problems.

Since I started using S9plus, several firmware updates came out and none of them offered to replace LTE Calling with VoLTE, 

Additionally, whenever I connect a BlueTooth headset, various notifications can only be heard only in it, i.e. all the notifications such as text messages etc. are muted on the phone itself (except the ringtone when someone calls - that one rings).

My headset is a neckband, and I only put it in my ears when I need to; no matter how vigilant I miss a lot of messages.  

I am an engineer so trust me - I have checked ALL of MY SETTINGS. Then reached out to Samsung support, they told me it's a firmware bug.

During the same phone call to Samsung support, they told me the current Sprint S9 Plus firmware is already fully compatible with VoLTE and Sprint can activate it any time they want to.   

I first asked Sprint tech support to address these issues back in April 2019. Nothing has been done about either - 3 firmware updates later. Since you seem to be a Samsung fan, perhaps you can help. I need those two issues FIXED now!

Please use your credentials to contact THE RIGHT PEOPLE WITH THE RIGHT SKILLS to make life easier for all my S9 / S9 Plus compatriots at Sprint - it's time Sprint catches up with many developing countries where all phones can do VoLTE and make a sound when a text arrives (let alone your competitors) 

Please look into this and let me/us know!

Thanks!

Journeyman

Just to add some background, here are other online posts about the notification silence issue:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-plus/943850-notification-system-sounds-only-p...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9/Notification-Sounds-With-Bluetooth/td-p/465086/page/4

So far noone has fixed the issue. Please make some phone calls for us all. Thanks!

Community Manager

The Bluetooth issue is easy.  Well, easy for me to answer.  That is by design by Samsung and if I understand correctly, that was due to feedback from their customers.  Folks would complain (I am among them) about notification sound through the speaker while connected to Bluetooth devices.  I can submit feedback, but I am not sure if it would outweigh those that made that request.

VOLTE is still a work in progress and some bugs need to be squashed.  All is not lost...stayed tuned.

@japa wrote:

Hi there! 

I have been s Sprint customer for 20 years. 1.5 years ago I had S8 active and enjoyed having VoLTE on it A LOT - it's coverage is great in Chicago where I live. VoLTE is essential to my work - I need to be able to look stuff up, stay online while on phone with clients etc. 

Later I switched to S9Plus and to my amazement was unable to find VoLTE as an option. I resorted to the "LTE Calling Beta" but 30-40% of the time people or I have very hard time hearing me using this connection. When I switch the feature off voice connection improves, but I lose the simultaneous data. I had the same problem on the S8 until VoLTE was implemented. VoLTE connectivity on S8 was totally fine, solved all these problems.

Since I started using S9plus, several firmware updates came out and none of them offered to replace LTE Calling with VoLTE, 

Additionally, whenever I connect a BlueTooth headset, various notifications can only be heard only in it, i.e. all the notifications such as text messages etc. are muted on the phone itself (except the ringtone when someone calls - that one rings).

My headset is a neckband, and I only put it in my ears when I need to; no matter how vigilant I miss a lot of messages.  

I am an engineer so trust me - I have checked ALL of MY SETTINGS. Then reached out to Samsung support, they told me it's a firmware bug.

During the same phone call to Samsung support, they told me the current Sprint S9 Plus firmware is already fully compatible with VoLTE and Sprint can activate it any time they want to.   

I first asked Sprint tech support to address these issues back in April 2019. Nothing has been done about either - 3 firmware updates later. Since you seem to be a Samsung fan, perhaps you can help. I need those two issues FIXED now!

Please use your credentials to contact THE RIGHT PEOPLE WITH THE RIGHT SKILLS to make life easier for all my S9 / S9 Plus compatriots at Sprint - it's time Sprint catches up with many developing countries where all phones can do VoLTE and make a sound when a text arrives (let alone your competitors) 

Please look into this and let me/us know!

Thanks!

Journeyman

With all due respect, since you mentioned your belonging to those who complained about having notification sound. I am sorry to be telling you how you and others could accomplish the goal of not being annoyed by your phone's notification sound while your bluetooth is connected - all without taking away the choice to have it from thousands of other users like myself - or others, who would prefer to have a choice (a toggle) to have or not to have the phone make notification sound while bluetooth is connected, at different times. 

Before the "feature" change in question was made, or IF the notification sound issue is fixed, here is what you would have to do to turn it back off.

Install and open (Samsung) Sound Assistant app, scroll down and open Advanced Settings, switch on toggle Alerts through headphones. Your problem would have been solved. As you see, an option for you and others in your camp has been there all along.

However, now that this intentional bug is in place, when a bluetooth is connected, the switch I  mentioned does not help bring back notification sound.

With this information, I hope I deserve to be heard with a sober consideration and as clearly as those for whom this flawed change was made.

Let me illustrate more clearly. 

The result of that decision you mentioned is that if the phone is connected to a bluetooth device that is for any reason not audible to the user at the moment, the user will miss notification alerts. 

Examples: headset not on the ears, earbuds not in the ears, car stereo is on CD or FM or volume down, etc. 

Personally, as a constant neckband bluetooth headset user, I rarely have it in my ears, it's just on my neck ready to be used - primarily for phone calls. I am therefore a case study of the most typical victim of this "intended behavior" who misses notifications while the headset is connected.

Like many, I rely for work and personal life on being quick to respond. I missed thousands of text messages etc since the update because of this "feature".

I have a Samsung S9 Plus and before reading this blog, spent COUNTLESS hours trying to troubleshoot the problem and find a workaround. Are you familiar with the frustration of wasting your time?

THERE HAS TO BE A USER-ACCESSIBLE OPTION TO HAVE NOTIFICATIONS PLAY THROUGH THE PHONE SPREAKER regardless of its connection to a BlueTooth device.

If a designer decides to remove this option it basically equates to them walking up to me when I am wearing a wireless headset, taking my phone and muting notifications on the phone. Except forever and behind my back.

It's completely plausible that if the notification routing issue is not promptly fixed, soon enough someone out there will miss a truly critical, vital message and a resulting liability will cost you guys a lot more than it would to speedily revoke a shortsighted, assumptious decision that limits most basic function access of users to their very important, immediate communication. 

Please understand that it's a problem. Make a user-accessible, working toggle giving users respect of having a choice and move on to better things. 

Also, please give an idea of when to expect VoLTE on S9/S9 Plus.

Thanks! 

Community Manager

Bugs have no timetable.  Hopefully, you can expect VoLTE soon, however, I have no date to provide.

Journeyman

NOTIFICATION routing: Two updates in the last 2 weeks to my S9plus and still the same issue. Can someone raise a flag for this terrible "feature" bug? I would like to hear a better response than  "Bugs have no timetable. " For now Samsung, Sprint or Google - no one has confirmed they are actually working on eliminating of it. No one has even officially said they acknowledge it's a problem!

Please reply with an informed response. 

Community Manager

The answers are still the same.  The Bluetooth issue is not a bug and is the result of feedback from Samsung customers.  VoLTE will be deployed when it's bug-free. We cannot very well tell a bug to stop being a bug on 9/4/2019.  They have no concept of time. Smiley LOL 

@japa wrote:

NOTIFICATION routing: Two updates in the last 2 weeks to my S9plus and still the same issue. Can someone raise a flag for this terrible "feature" bug? I would like to hear a better response than  "Bugs have no timetable. " For now Samsung, Sprint or Google - no one has confirmed they are actually working on eliminating of it. No one has even officially said they acknowledge it's a problem!

GrandMaster

since neither Sprint nor Google have control over BlueTooth (seeing as how BT is a physical part of a phone built/put in by the manufacturer)...that would narrow it down to ........ you can probably guess who you would need to bring this up with.

@japa wrote:

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat