cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s8+ restarting and charging issues

Go to solution
Journeyman

Galaxy s8+ restarting and charging issues

My new Galaxy s8+ Has been freezing then Restart randomly. I have uninstalled apps, shut down apps and cleaned the phone. The restarts still happen. Also the charger is only doing a slow charge. I get a pop up widow telling me "if I want fast charge to use the charger the phone came with" Well I am!!! Is there a fix to these problems?

13 REPLIES 13
Sprint Social Care

Re: Galaxy s8+ restarting and charging issues

Good Morning AngieEllen! Sorry to read you are having issues. If you think that the issue is occurring because of a third party app then, let's try booting the device into safe mode. By booting your device in this mode, you’re actually temporarily disabling all third-party apps leaving all built-in apps and services running in the background.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

For the fast charging issues, make sure that fast charging is enable on the device. go to Settings > Device maintenance > Battery > Advanced settings and toggle on Fast cable charging.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hello Jeffery,
Thank you for getting back to me. I had already uninstalled 3rd party apps and I Enabled Fast Charging when I Got my phone (day after release). That being said I was able to get fast charging when Used the adapter piece that came with the phone on my Galaxy s5 charger not the Charger that came with the phone... But I don't like using the adapter Because it is small and doesn't feel like a secure fit! I have Noticed on other forums that the slow charging is an issue with the s8 and s8+. Could it be a software issue?
GrandMaster

you can take it into a Sprint Corporate repair store and see if they can reflash the last update onto it in case it didnt load correctly...but if you scan through the S8 forum here you dont really see any complaints about charging..so its not a wide spread ordeal. worst case scenario you might end up needing to perform a factory reset to right some of the issues the phone is having..but i would start with the repair store looking it over first.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

There is a possibility  however, attempting to diagnose it via this channel could lead to incorrectly identifying the device issue. Our recommendation is to visit a Sprint Repair store. You can find a store and plan a visit using the Sprint Zone App on your smartphone, or on sprint.com at sprintstorelocator.com

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Wizard

Make sure to be using the USB C cable that came with the device as well and not a adaptor for orders versions of cables that the S7,S6 use or older Notes. 

Journeyman

If I use the cable "C" that it came with it comes up with the slow charge warning and when it says slow charge it mean super snail pace charge. My phone was at 16% when I plugged it in (with the charger that came in the s8+ box) came back an hour later and it had only charged to 20%. When I use the adapter on the older s5 model the fast charge works. Charges my phone to 100% in less then a hour. I don't want to use the adapter but at this moment I don't have a choice. I Don't feel like I should have to buy a new Samsung cord at $30 when mine is less then a month old.
GrandMaster

but was it the cable or wall adapter that is having issues?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care

Good morning AngieEllen.

Let's try some troubleshoot steps.

Have you started the Galaxy S8 in save mode to see if it still restart?

Try deleting all system caches as some of them may be corrupt.

If all fails, backup your files and data and do a Master Reset.

If the issue still persists, you will have to bring the device to a Sprint Repair store and have the device diagnosed.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

This is widespread, just search the www and you will see. I have been into sprint repair and they did a reset,  3 nights later I am still locking up on recharge.  They told me if it happens again I have to use my insurance.... Terrible resolution. 

Wizard

Hmm I would not say it's widespread there could be many reasons why the device is having issues it could be a app installed or a setting and yes there could be a hardware issue as well. It will always vary from device to device due to the settings and apps installed on everyone device is never the same.. 

That all being said has the device acted this way since you owned it or is this something that just started after owning the device for awhile.

Journeyman

Okay you don't have to agree that it's widespread but if you Google it there are lots of complaints of the S8 locking up on charge and when I took it into Sprint repair they also stated it was a common occurrence.  Call it what you want,  but having to use my insurance to fix the problem is no resolution in my opinion. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat