cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy tab S4(SM-T837P) text not working

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy tab S4(SM-T837P) text not working

Hi i've searched around but I cannot find this topic.  for starters let me start off by stating I had the Samsung tab A 10.5 Lte From sprint I returned this within the 14 day window to get my tab S4.  While using the Tab A 10.5 from sprint I enjoyed using the texting app on the tab A I was able to send/receive text like my note 9.  I returned this sunday wanting the S4 As I enjoyed the data on the tablet but I wanted something more.

So I ordered the Samsung sprint tab S4 on Monday and received it Tuesday.  went to turn the device on signed in all working normal but went to send a text on the device using the standard messaging app from Samsung which worked on my Tab A 10.5 flawlessly.  but every text I send out I get an error (you are not allowed to send text messages. Msg 2120) I searched online and they stated I should go to my preferences on my sprint account and activate the text but it states its for data and I cannot change the option.  so I called sprint about this and was told that tablets do not support text SMS I explained that I had the tab a that I returned sunday.  and they continued to state that was impossible and tablets cannot send text.  so I get off the phone with them and try the chat online but same answer. 

What I am looking to find out is how I can send a text that can go to cell phones like my tab a 10.5 and my wifes ipad can do but this new S4 cannot do.  I don't understand what is limiting this every time I text from the device I get a text back from sprint.  I have checked online with some forums and they stated they had successful text on the Tab S4 from sprint. but cannot get an answer why I cannot from this device is this something that will come later?  I ordered this unit from the sprint website.

Thanks for any information about this subject as this really has me bummed I love the tablet but want the ease of sending text on it.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy tab S4(SM-T837P) text not working

I was able to send to iphones/android and other carriers on the TAB A.
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey there. Can you confirm what app you were using on the Tab A and now on the Tab S4 for texting?

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

It was the stock messages app preinstalled on the Samsung tab a I have tried several messaging services on the S4 but nohing  the messages version I have on the s4 is 5.0.25.52 says the latest version installed I dont have the tab a anymore to see the  version that I was using but messages app preinstalled with the Samsung same as I use on my note 9

Have you tried linking the devices via the Samsung Flow app? I'm seeing this being successful for some folks in your situation. 

Journeyman

I tried the Samsung flow as suggested it seems to just duplicate notifications d allows me to transfer files from device to device.  the messaging still not working.

On a side note just went to sign up for Google duo and cant.... need text and calling on the tablet to complete with the telephone number the phone is assigned

OK - at this point I'd like to take a look at your account to make sure the device is setup correctly. I'm going to PM you so that I can get some additional detail from you. Keep an eye on your inbox. 

Journeyman

replied to Pm

Thank you. I've sent some refreshers through to your tablet. Can you let me know if this helps at all? 

Journeyman

I tried again still but not working.   Earlier this morning I factory reset device as I thought it  could have been from an app or something so I setup as a complete new device with same results. 

I restarted the tablet after ur pushand tried prl update and profile update as well still not working.

I did want to mention on another andoid forum I found earlier this morning someone had the same issue I'm having and he stated it went away after 2 days? Dont know if the sprint system updates or something as far as I can tell I have updated everything on play store and Samsung apps and tried to see if there was a system update but still not working for messages

thank you in advance for your help.  

I am going to sleep soon.

I work nights so I will check responses later today.

When you get a chance, check out the messaging options on the Tab and see if RCS is enabled. That might do the trick to help sync things up. Let me know if you give that a shot and if it fixes anything. 

Journeyman

I checked and there is no rcs option on my s4 I checked my note 9 and that has the option I did however find a forum thread with a user on sprint with the tab s4 able to send and receive text on there tab s4 Its here in this post

I'm beginning to wonder if the telephone number assigned to my device may have something to do with the issue I'm having? I had an old phone along time ago were I could only send text to that carrier it was a number that was assigned to me and they had to release something on the number to get my texts to work? 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat