Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Voice doesn't work after provisioning Wi-Fi Calling

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

HD Voice doesn't work after provisioning Wi-Fi Calling

Ever since I upgraded to the S7, and now on the S8, I noticed this issue, and Sprint support has been no help.  I think they aren't willing to look into it because the majority of the customer base doesn't care about either feature.  In a nutshell, here's what happens:

1. On the device, go to Wi-Fi Calling
  2. Confirm the E-911 address, and activate Wi-Fi calling
  3. Once setup is complete, you'll see the Wi-Fi calling icon indicate successful enablement.
  4. Toggle off Wi-Fi Calling off in the settings menu.
  5. Attempt to call another Sprint customer.  HD voice no longer works.

The fix for this is to complete "deactivate Wi-Fi calling" and HD voice is re-enabled.  This is very frustrating because we should be able to enjoy both features without issue.  I've had others test on their Galaxy devices with the same results, so I do not think it has anything to do with my account.

14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

Re: HD Voice doesn't work after provisioning Wi-Fi Calling

Yeah kind of odd but kind of makes sense obviously Wi-Fi Calling is just that it's made to make calls with which then it will try to make itself act like the default way to make calls.  So first it’s really Not a Sprint issue it’s how the features work and most likely will work the same on most devices.  So that being said just keep Wi-Fi calling turned Off and only have it On when you need to use Wi-Fi to make calls. No reason to attempt to have Wi-Fi calling on all the time anyway. But HD Calling is only going to work over LTE Networks and Wi-Fi calling there No guarantee that it will work. 

Journeyman

Unfortunately it is a Sprint issue, as my device is operating on the Sprint network, which is advertised to support HD voice and Wi-Fi calling.  I'm perfectly fine with HD voice being temporarily disabled when I'm at work with Wi-Fi calling enabled.  But by just provisioning my device for the ability to toggle Wi-Fi calling completely breaking HD voice is unsatisfactory.  There is a programming issue on either the carrier or Samsung's part that needs to be addressed.  I didn't have any issues with my S6 or my Note 5 or with either service.  Bottom line:  if they are advertising both services on the network and the device, the services should work.  I'm aware LTE is required for voLTE/HD calling - that is not the issue.  I always have LTE regardless of my desire to use Wi-Fi calling.

GrandMaster

just to be sure are you saying you do not have HD calling while connected to wifi calling or while away from a wifi connection and fully using the Sprint network?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Once provisioning Wi-Fi calling (enabling it to be toggled on/off) HD calling no longer works on the Sprint network.  I confirmed this with an S7, S7 Edge, and my S8.

Journeyman

Interesting to note, however, that when placing a call to another Sprint customer over Wi-Fi, the phone says "attempting HD" but doesn't succeed.  When toggling Wi-Fi calling back off, it no longer even "attempts" HD anymore until you completely deactivate the Wi-Fi Calling functionality.

GrandMaster

Are all features and options available with Wi-Fi Calling like I have on Sprint's cellular service? The following features currently incompatible Wi-Fi Calling. When opting-in for the Wi-Fi Calling service, your phone will no longer be able to use the following features. HD Voice Premium Caller ID Voice Account Controls from Sprint.com (Call Blocking by specific numbers) Select Abbreviated Dialing Codes (Short codes starting with * or #) RingBack Tones StarStar Me Google Voice with your existing Sprint number Integrated Office (IO) Business Service Sprint Mobile integration (SMI) Business Service Wireless Mobile Integration (WMI) Business Service Sprint Direct Connect Now Application Wireless Emergency Alerts Wireless Priority Services (WPS) Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS) TTY (Teletypewriter) Service ... just looked and that is the trade off. https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs-about-WiFi-Calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91...
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well that explains it!  It is unfortunate, and it definitely used to work.  Thanks for digging that out of the fine print.

GrandMaster

i take blame on that info taking so long to get in here. i have had that bookmarked for some time now for reasons like this and COMPLETELY forgot about it..forgot to bump it up my list of bookmarks for this site lol. my bad
Journeyman

What about after you disable it.  Will hd voice never return.  I am having issues with hd voice.  hd attempting, but then drops off.  Even after restoring device it is still don't work

@WEGA1985 wrote:

Well that explains it!  It is unfortunate, and it definitely used to work.  Thanks for digging that out of the fine print.

GrandMaster

after you disable wifi calling?
Journeyman

You have to completely disable the ability for your phone to use Wi-Fi calling to re-enable HD voice.  Once in the Wi-Fi calling settings, click the 3 dots in the upper right to access more settings.  There is an option to Deactivate Wi-Fi Calling.  Also make sure the person you're calling is a Sprint HD-enabled customer, or it will not activate.

Screenshot_20170717_121117
minus

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat