cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop messenger app from sending duplicate sms ?

Journeyman

How do I stop messenger app from sending duplicate sms ?

My Samsung Galaxy S8 sends duplicate sms in Messenger app. How do I stop that?

14 REPLIES 14
GrandMaster

Re: How do I stop messenger app from sending duplicate sms ?

start with doing a network reset by pulling up your dial pad and typing in ##72786#. make sure you are in a good network covered area and not just connected to wifi..if that doesnt work you might have to force stop your messaging app and worse case clear the cache on it.

is this happening mainly in one specific area? while roaming? all the time no matter where you are at?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have cleared the cache for Messenger, did a force stop on my Samsung messaging app, set Messager as my primary messaging app. None of this stops sms from appearing to send as duplicate messages. I don't want to do a factory reset.

GrandMaster

google how to perform a partition wipe on the phone. this is not a factory reset but i think it will log you out of all apps that must be signed into..it clears saved up info that normally gets dumped anyways but at times the phone decides it needs to be saved.

you did the network reset already?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Did not do network reset yet

Journeyman

Ok...I have tried EVERYTHING you have suggested. Nothing changes my Messenger app from sending duplicate messages. 

GrandMaster

the app itself is fully up to date update wise correct?

only other thing i can think of would be to download another texting app and try that one..if it no longer sends duplicate texts then the problem is the app itself.

is the texting app you are using the Samsung one or Googles?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey there! I would suggest toggling the phone into Airplane Mode for 1-2 minutes and then back out of Airplane mode. If that doesn't solve the issue, I would attempt a manual restart of the phone using the steps listed below. If that still doesn't do the trick, let's take this conversation into private where I can get some account specific details from you to try and troubleshoot further!

1.      Make sure you turn off the device.

2.      Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.

3.      When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).

4.      Press the Volume down key several times in order to highlight “Wipe cache partition.”

5.      Press the Power key to select.

6.      Press the Volume down key to highlight “Yes” and press the Power key to select.

7.      After the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.

8.      Press the Power key to restart the device.

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I am using Facebook Messenger as my default app. I downloaded it through Google Play Store. 

Highlighted
Wizard

Using a messenger app can cause errors with the texts. I suggest going back to the original app and seeing if you still have the error.

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Journeyman

Thanks. Did just that this morning. Won't use Messenger as my default text message app any more
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

So everything is good now, correct? Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat