cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My apps close after I open them on my Samsung S7 Edge with message app has stopped close app or ...

Journeyman

My apps close after I open them on my Samsung S7 Edge with message app has stopped close app or ...

TODAY for no foreseeable reason my phone started misbehaving.
I haven't downloaded any new apps recently. I cleared the phone's system cache.
I tried uninstalling one of the apps and then reinstalling it.
I deleted the app's cache and data I force stopped the app.
It isn't just one app that is closing immediately after I try to open it. There are too many apps that are doing this to even list them all.

I've restarted my phone many times and still have the same problem.

What else can I do?

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on Sprint network
Model SM-G935P
21 REPLIES
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: My apps close after I open them on my Samsung S7 Edge with message app has stopped close app ...

Is the device updated to the current software?

Good, Better, Best don't give up until your good is better than your best! Be the Aristocratic one and give KUDOS and push the Solution button.
Journeyman

Re: My apps close after I open them on my Samsung S7 Edge with message app has stopped close app ...

@DrA_Sprint wrote:

Is the device updated to the current software?

Yes. My husband and I have the exact same phones. The last update was installed Jan. 29, 2019.

Model SM-G935P

Would you mind confirming what the latest version of the OS is that you have on your phone is? 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

@OldGreg_Sprint wrote:

Would you mind confirming what the latest version of the OS is that you have on your phone is? 

The phone has

Android version:  8.0.0

Samsung Experience version:  9.0

Android security patch level:  January 1, 2019

Model SM-G935P

Is it only the messaging app or are other apps behaving like this as well?

Journeyman

@OldGreg_Sprint wrote:

Is it only the messaging app or are other apps behaving like this as well?

What I meant by apps close after I open them and give me a message saying:

(AppNameHere) has stopped.
x   Close app
!    Send feedback

Not all of the apps close as soon as they are opened. Some of the apps that do close immediately are WIVB, Swagbucks and The Weather Channel. The actual app Message works fine.

Model SM-G935P

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. It seems like you've done a lot of troubleshooting already with going in and clearing out system/app caches. Have you tried booting the phone in safe mode to see if you are still getting errors?

Journeyman

@OldGreg_Sprint wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. It seems like you've done a lot of troubleshooting already with going in and clearing out system/app caches. Have you tried booting the phone in safe mode to see if you are still getting errors?

No. I will try that now and update you.

UPDATE:
I was mistaken when I named Cortana as one of the apps that are closing immediately.
I booted the phone into safe mode and attempted to open one of the apps that open and close immediately and received this message:
"Downloaded apps disabled while Safe mode turned on."

I am unable to open any of the apps that are unable to remain open.

Model SM-G935P

Can you try taking the safe mode off now, and seeing if that would help?

Journeyman

@Katey88_Sprint wrote:

Can you try taking the safe mode off now, and seeing if that would help?

I restarted the phone to get out of Safe mode only to discover that the problem apps still close after I open them and give me a message saying:

(AppNameHere) has stopped.
x   Close app
!    Send feedback

Not all of the apps close as soon as they are opened. Some of the apps that do close immediately are WIVB, Swagbucks and The Weather Channel. The actual app Message works fine.

Model SM-G935P

I was looking into how to fix this. I came across these steps. I am going to paste them below. Let us know if that helps. 

1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Press and then hold the Home and Volume UP keys, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge shows on the screen, release the Power key but continue holding the Home and Volume Up keys.
  4. When the Android logo shows, you may release both keys and leave the phone be for about 30 to 60 seconds.
  5. Using the Volume Down key, navigate through the options and highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
  6. Once highlighted, you may press the Power key to select it.
  7. Now highlight the option ‘Yes’ using the Volume Down key and press the Power button to select it.
  8. Wait until your phone is finished wiping the cache partition. Once completed, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and press the Power key.
  9. The phone will now reboot longer than usual.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat