cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Go to solution
Journeyman

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Never buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint if you ever plan on switching carriers. Just found out today when trying to switch from Sprint to Verizon that if you buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint you will be unable to switch carriers. They do not tell you this when you buy the phone. I have to buy a new Galaxy S9 in order to switch to Verizon. I will gladly do this as I never plan on using Sprint again and will be sure to tell everyone I know that Sprint is the worst possible carrier they could choose. The cell service is terrible and their customer service is even worse. Verizon doesn't have great customer service either but it's a no brainer that if I'm going to get awful customer service with both carriers then I will at least use the carrier that has good cell service. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon and have no plans to ever switch back to Sprint.

23 REPLIES 23
GrandMaster

Re: NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

was there any mention of why exactly it can not be activated on another carrier? i dont believe its private labeled for Sprint only. so not sure what would restrict it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I wasn't given an explanation. Sprint told me that the phone was unlocked however Verizon said if you buy a Galaxy S9 through Sprint it cannot be switched to another carrier. If you buy a Galaxy S9 through Verizon it 100% can be switched to another carrier. Not sure why Sprint charges the most for a Galaxy S9 and then won't even let you take it to another carrier but it doesn't really matter because I am with Verizon now.

GrandMaster

that makes zero since. unless they are wanting to get you to buy one of theirs instead. im going to double check on this one but i have a feeling i already know the answer to this one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

That's what I thought too but I saw others were having the same issue switching from Sprint to Verizon. However no one had issues switching from Verizon to another carrier. The sales rep at Verizon tried entering the IMEI number but the system wouldn't accept the phone so I'm not sure why that is. 

GrandMaster

just confirmed..you were given incorrect info from V. as long as all the criteria has been met for it to be unlocked (50+days on an active line, no longer in a lease/installment billing, fully payed off etc) it can go wherever you want it to go...now..with that being said..if you asked for it to be unlocked and removed it from your account before that code could be received by your device (it must have the sprint sim card in it, turned on and connected to a data connection) then on Sprints side it would show as unlocked when in reality it is not because it could not receive the code..if thats what they were seeing it would still show as locked..which is a simple fix...

but again the info given to you was bunk from V..not to mention odds are they would have to add it into their data base as you would have to do if you brought a device from V to Sprint..

Wizard

Yeah I agree there should not be any issues that I'm aware of hopefully it got taken care of.. 🙂 

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hi -

First, I want to say that as a Sprint employee and Product Ambassador for the Galaxy S9/S9+, I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with Sprint. I hope we can do something to turn your bad experience into a great experience and keep you as a valued customer. 

That said, I understand bad experiences. And I understand taking your hard earned money where you feel that it serves you best. What’s puzzling is why you are asserting that Sprint phones cannot be provisioned on VZW ...based on what VZW is telling you.

Did you talk to Sprint retail store or Customer Service about your experiences and concerns? Did anyone offer suggestions or actions to help improve your connectivity or service experience? If so, what did they try or suggest?

As others have pointed out, there are reasons why your phone *may* be locked to Sprint for now (lease satisfaction for example). But the Samsung Galaxy S9 for North America is the same hardware regardless of carrier. The only technical limitation is SIM kit and/or SIM lock based on legal agreement satisfaction. VZW, ATT, T-Mo all do the same locks dependent on purchase/lease agreement and network plan agreement. 

I truly hope we can use this forum to help turn your bad experience around. Let me know what you’ve tried and/or been suggested. I’ll do what I can to help. 

~Ninja CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

My S8 works on at&t, verizon, sprint, never tried t mobile. My point is my s8 works and it's a sprint variant if you look the imei up they are all accepted. Now here is what the perosn is asking why doesn't his s9 work. Here is why the carrier agnostic treatment hasnt been done. The imei is blocked by software. Until samsung releases it then the imei wont work on any carrier but the original one. Even if the phone is paid off and unlocked by sprint. There is nothing they can do until the phone opened up for all networks. Maybe its samsungs way off making sure the phones stay where  they are for awhile just a guess. I have an s8 and it works on those networks I mentioned above. My S9 Pius I am using right now to type this is not compatible with any other networks paid off or not. 

Journeyman

I too am unable to switch my Galaxy s9 to verizon from Sprint even after unlocking and it's very FRUSTRATING! Sprint has absolutely AWFUL customer service not to mention terrible coverage and dropped calls. 

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue? I'm desperate to get away from Sprint!

Journeyman

Why not blame Verizon for not allowing unlocked Sprint S9 to join their network? There is a white list for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint. Any phone needs to be in that list in order to be accepted by the carrier. Sprint and Verizon keeps their own white list, and white list is getting updated now and then. For instance, Verizon S8 was added to Sprint's white list since last November. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I blame both carriers for being so inflexible. Sprint was awful service and coverage for us as customers and now that we want to leave and have seemingly gone through all the right steps to get out - paid off the phones and lease and had phone unlocked, we are still blacklisted by other carriers. 

Has anyone tried to take the phone to a Verizon store for help or just bought a Verizon SIM to see if that changes the carrier settings so it'll work? 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat