cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Go to solution
GrandMaster

Re: NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

every carrier has their rules and what they must stick to. including what they allow to be brought in and what they do not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

Just to clear some things up in this thread.  If you purchase any carrier branded  S9, may it be from Sprint, ATT, T-MO, VZW, etc, you are going to have problems getting it to work on another carrier.  That is why Samsung created Special Edition unlocked versions of the S9, which can go between carriers.  The S8 was the last one that could bounce between carriers ATT, T-Mo, and VZW.  It's Special Edition here on out.

Journeyman

I understand that buying an unlocked phone NOW after encountering this problem. I'm  asking what can I do now that I want to change carriers? Anyone been able to do it successfully? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's just Verizon that won't accept Sprint S9 yet.  You should be fine with those gsm carriers. My Sprint S9+ is using an ATT SIM card after being SIM unlocked.

Journeyman

I like the way forum members would go out of their way to find answers!  I used to be the same way in my younger days lashing out at the wrong place rather than thinking... maybe the new place is just trying to get me to purchase a new phone?!?  Well, of course they are!!!  In the end, others chimed in to reveal there's always something on both sides... it's rarely a smooth transition.  I just like this type of teamwork in the forum.

Journeyman

I also have been trying to transfer to Verizon via bring your own phone. When entering my IMEI on their website I get the following message.

"
The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network."

I have also spoke to the rep at verizon (via online chat) and they have confirmed that the device will not work on their network. I have met all of the above criteria.

1.  My phone is paid off
  2. I have been with sprint since April 2018
  3. My phone is unlocked

GrandMaster

not unheard of. its the same reason Sprint only accepts in the Special Editions as a BYOD. or only certain devices from other carriers

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I spent 11 months in Sprint Forward (pre-paid) until I graduated to post-paid in April 2018.  As a pre-paid customer, I simply asked if I could purchase a Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge (no special edition model as the web site displays).  They explained how to do this ONLY at a Corporate Store, not just any store.  Sprint re-SKU'ed my IMEI from post to pre and I bought a pre-paid SIM and never been happier! At the 11th month of on-time payments, I received an email to graduate to post-paid. They could re-SKU again from pre to post (since that was its original), but the S9+ was released and I bought that outright... no time for leasing games.  I didn't scream or yell, just simply asked How-To and they showed me.

Journeyman Lsp
Journeyman

I’m not sure if the specifics of your situation, but I can confirm Verizon WILL accept Samsung galaxy from sprint . I to was very disappointed with sprint and decided to switch to Verizon..... my s9 was not unlocked at the time due to my device not being paid off however I was able to still have it unlocked by a local cell phone repair shop here in town for $40 , I then went to Verizon and told them I wanted to open a line of service with my own phone ...... about 20 minutes later walked out with my sprint s9 working perfectly on Verizon’s network, that was right about December 2nd 2018 ..... so it can be done 

Journeyman

That's a load of bologna you can definitely have a sprint S9 unlocked and use it at Verizon it just sounds like they want to make a sale out of you because they don't make commission off a BYOD. All Samsung devices have the capability of going between different carriers. I have my sprint Note 8 unlocked and I can go to any carrier I want and I already know it will work. It's little things like that that disgusts me about carriers like Verizon sure they have okay service but everything else about it is garbage.  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat