Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Never buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint if you ever plan on switching carriers. Just found out today when trying to switch from Sprint to Verizon that if you buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint you will be unable to switch carriers. They do not tell you this when you buy the phone. I have to buy a new Galaxy S9 in order to switch to Verizon. I will gladly do this as I never plan on using Sprint again and will be sure to tell everyone I know that Sprint is the worst possible carrier they could choose. The cell service is terrible and their customer service is even worse. Verizon doesn't have great customer service either but it's a no brainer that if I'm going to get awful customer service with both carriers then I will at least use the carrier that has good cell service. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon and have no plans to ever switch back to Sprint.

46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint sold me a Galaxy S9 that that shuts down the internet and hotspot when on a phone call. I've been fighting for months to get this fixed. Just today the repair team took a priority escalation and told me they would call me back in 2-4 hours. They never called. The were supposed to call me 10/21 and didn't. Last month they sent me to there store to pick up a sim card after 3 employees failed to mail it to me. I had the Sprint staff make me the appointment so they would be sure it was in stock. It wasn't and they tried to get me to drive another 20 miles to get it. I refused and they mailed me one the next day. After waiting six hours today for them to call I got on the Chat at 6:30. It's now 9:30 and I just learned that they sold me a phone that cant do internet or hotspot during a phone call. They say it not defective and I should have known what I bought. I asked "if I should have known, why did none of your employees not know?" They say I'm stuck with 3 defective phones. Gave a slap in the face with a $10 dollar credit for a hundred hours of fighting this hotspot internet problem. Amazingly cold.

Highlighted

Apologies for the misinformation because that's exactly what it is/was.  Out of the box...no, you cannot talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time.  Now, if you turn on VoLTE, everything would be handled by data, meaning your voice calls and of course data.  Meaning you can talk and use the internet at the same time.  The S( is VoLTE capable and as long as you are not in Wyoming/Montana and Puerto Rico markets, you can turn it on.

@DougBennett wrote:

Sprint sold me a Galaxy S9 that that shuts down the internet and hotspot when on a phone call. I've been fighting for months to get this fixed. Just today the repair team took a priority escalation and told me they would call me back in 2-4 hours. They never called. The were supposed to call me 10/21 and didn't. Last month they sent me to there store to pick up a sim card after 3 employees failed to mail it to me. I had the Sprint staff make me the appointment so they would be sure it was in stock. It wasn't and they tried to get me to drive another 20 miles to get it. I refused and they mailed me one the next day. After waiting six hours today for them to call I got on the Chat at 6:30. It's now 9:30 and I just learned that they sold me a phone that cant do internet or hotspot during a phone call. They say it not defective and I should have known what I bought. I asked "if I should have known, why did none of your employees not know?" They say I'm stuck with 3 defective phones. Gave a slap in the face with a $10 dollar credit for a hundred hours of fighting this hotspot internet problem. Amazingly cold.

Highlighted

Thanks, I can't find a way to switch from LTE. I just updated my PRL and profile. I'm doing Software update now. Can you tell me where to go to switch. I pretty sure I was there but I didn't have a choice.

Highlighted

I found the switch to volte though that's not the label. Setting-connections-voice networks-Turn on LTE Calling (beta)

Highlighted

My bad, I went to lunch.  I'm glad you found it.  Have you had a chance to test it?

Highlighted

Yes, I would not have posted the solution until I did. 

Highlighted

I am also trying to leave Sprint.  Customer service has told me 5 times that my galaxy s9 is unlocked which I think means the IMEI number has been released but the phone is still tied to Sprint. I am unable to remove "Sprint launch"app from the phone.  I did all the resets, including factory reset but the first thing that happens on restart is Sprint logo and message to contact Sprint to unlock the phone.  HELP!!

Highlighted

Hey! Let's work together on getting this resolved. Send me a private message with the Account holder's name, phone number, security PIN or the answer to the security question along with the IMEI of the phone. Click on my name and select: "send a message". 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

It's going to do that because the phone has a Sprint ROM on it.  The only way to remove it is to flash another ROM on the device.

@Johno38 wrote:

I am also trying to leave Sprint.  Customer service has told me 5 times that my galaxy s9 is unlocked which I think means the IMEI number has been released but the phone is still tied to Sprint. I am unable to remove "Sprint launch"app from the phone.  I did all the resets, including factory reset but the first thing that happens on restart is Sprint logo and message to contact Sprint to unlock the phone.  HELP!!

Highlighted

Good afternoon, I'm so sorry. I've never had a phone that has so many problems and I've had cell phones since they began. Have you learned how to turn on the Beta connection so you can get calls while you use the hotspot or internet? There highest tech team and none of there other workers could tell me how to get this to work. The tech leader told me in so many words that I was burnt, that I should have known the phone wouldn't get calls and internet at the same time. It was a Spint staff that monitors the community page that told me how to activate the Beta connection after I posted my complaint on the community page. 

Highlighted

Hold tight until the week of the 24th.  The software will be released that enables VoLTE.  Once you have that, you will be able to talk on the phone and surf at the same time.

@DougBennett wrote:

Good afternoon, I'm so sorry. I've never had a phone that has so many problems and I've had cell phones since they began. Have you learned how to turn on the Beta connection so you can get calls while you use the hotspot or internet? There highest tech team and none of there other workers could tell me how to get this to work. The tech leader told me in so many words that I was burnt, that I should have known the phone wouldn't get calls and internet at the same time. It was a Spint staff that monitors the community page that told me how to activate the Beta connection after I posted my complaint on the community page. 

Highlighted

You're response is indicative of most Sprint workers. You didn't read that I have already solved this with the Beta connection.  Most Sprint workers Speak much listen almost none. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat