Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

Never buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint if you ever plan on switching carriers. Just found out today when trying to switch from Sprint to Verizon that if you buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint you will be unable to switch carriers. They do not tell you this when you buy the phone. I have to buy a new Galaxy S9 in order to switch to Verizon. I will gladly do this as I never plan on using Sprint again and will be sure to tell everyone I know that Sprint is the worst possible carrier they could choose. The cell service is terrible and their customer service is even worse. Verizon doesn't have great customer service either but it's a no brainer that if I'm going to get awful customer service with both carriers then I will at least use the carrier that has good cell service. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon and have no plans to ever switch back to Sprint.

46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted

The only way to remove it is to flash another rom on it you said.  How do you do that, why did Sprint do that, why wasn't  I advised of this when I bought the phone.  Since Sprint stuck it on there isn't it Sprint's  responsibility to fix it? 

Highlighted

uhm no..you purchased a carrier specific phone..if you would have purchased a fully unlocked clear of any carriers phone directly from a manufacturer then  yes it would not be on there.

if you purchased a phone from Verizon for example it would have all of their stuff built in as well..or TMO...or ATT.

@Johno38 wrote:

The only way to remove it is to flash another rom on it you said.  How do you do that, why did Sprint do that, why wasn't  I advised of this when I bought the phone.  Since Sprint stuck it on there isn't it Sprint's  responsibility to fix it? 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

You are correct because they don't troubleshoot betas or suggest them because inevitably once the beta is over and it breaks whatever, people come to Sprint and get upset when we refer them to the OEM.

@DougBennett wrote:

You're response is indicative of most Sprint workers. You didn't read that I have already solved this with the Beta connection.  Most Sprint workers Speak much listen almost none. 

Highlighted

Yes.  This.  👇

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

uhm no..you purchased a carrier specific phone..if you would have purchased a fully unlocked clear of any carriers phone directly from a manufacturer then  yes it would not be on there.

if you purchased a phone from Verizon for example it would have all of their stuff built in as well..or TMO...or ATT.

@Johno38 wrote:

Highlighted

Beta is a test platform usually..he let you know that coming up the Beta will be gone and true data calling will be kicked on for you guys and gals...on the week of the 24th... which is leaps and bounds better than the Beta

he read perfectly fine..

@DougBennett wrote:

You're response is indicative of most Sprint workers. You didn't read that I have already solved this with the Beta connection.  Most Sprint workers Speak much listen almost none. 

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Are you telling me my galaxy s9 can only be used with Sprint.  That there is no way to get Sprint to release this phone even though they are required to by law?  If the Sprint rom can be over-written by another,how do zi get that done?? Who can do it??

Highlighted

No, I am not telling you that.  We can unlock the phone and the phone can be used on other carriers assuming they will accept it.  As far as the ROM, it will have to be flashed.  You can attempt to do, but it's not for the faint of tech heart.  Perhaps the carrier will flash their ROM on there.

@Johno38 wrote:

Are you telling me my galaxy s9 can only be used with Sprint.  That there is no way to get Sprint to release this phone even though they are required to by law?  If the Sprint rom can be over-written by another,how do zi get that done?? Who can do it??

Highlighted

I am not faint of heart too old to care.  What is the procedure please?  Sprint charged me $850 for the phone, I would like to try and save it.  Are there repair services that could do it? Do you know? 

Highlighted

by "perhaps the carrier will flash their ROM on there" he is meaning whatever carrier you are trying to take it to..not Sprint. why would Sprint put someone elses ROM on there?

if its unlocked take it to whatever other carrier you are trying to go to and if they accept it then when they put in THEIR sim card it might pull in THEIR info instead..

Community Manager
Re: NEVER buy a Galaxy S9 from Sprint

No, I am not telling you that.  We can unlock the phone and the phone can be used on other carriers assuming they will accept it.  As far as the ROM, it will have to be flashed.  You can attempt to do, but it's not for the faint of tech heart.  Perhaps the carrier will flash their ROM on there.

Highlighted

Flash not needed.  The phone is now unlocked.  One of your other techs working the community succeeded in unlocking the phone.  Apparently Sprint didn't store their sim in the rom afterall.

Highlighted

the sim card has nothing to do with the ROM.

the ROM is how the phone works and what all is shown on the screen etc..the only thing the SIM card does is tell the phone which companies network it needs to look for..

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat