Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No settings option for Hotspot/Tethering

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No settings option for Hotspot/Tethering

I have a Galaxy S8 with the Sprint Everything plan which includes 10GB of Mobile Hotspot data.  I have confirmed that my plan does indeed show the hotspot option.  However, the setting to enable it is nowhere to be found in Settings.  A buddy of mine has an S8+ and I confirmed that his phone shows it.  He actually has a couple options that I'm missing (e.g. Wi-Fi Calling), but the only one I really care about is Hotspot.

I took the phone to a Sprint Repair center.  They re-provisioned the phone, but it didn't help.  They told me that I needed to call and speak with "Sprint Network" (which I assume is a division in Sprint).  I called *2 and eventually got to a rep.  I explained all of this and she first started trying to walk me through her script.  I explained to her all of that had already been done.  Probably 5 times she tried to get me to go into Mobile Hotspot and Tethering in the Settings menu.  I kept explaining to her that it simply wasn't there.  Basically, we got nowhere.

Has anyone else seen this before?  It seems like something has disabled the feature on the phone, but nobody seems to have any idea how to re-enable it.

Thanks.

59 REPLIES 59
Wizard

Re: No settings option for Hotspot/Tethering

When you go to settings there should be a Option Called HotSpot and Tethering. Is that not listed?? You might try updateing your profile and see if that pulls it in. 

Sprint Social Care

Hello jasonmk, as ShipWreck mentioned, if the Hotspot feature is enable on your plan, your device must have the Hotspot and Tethering feature as well.

Please try updating your profile, if it does not work, please follow these steps:

1. From the home screen, tap Phone.
  2. Dial ##72786#.

Note: If the dialer does not appear, tap the Dialer icon.

3. Tap YES.

The device will restart and initiate Hands Free Activation.

4. After the device restarts it will automatically perform Hands Free Activation.

Once the activation is complete, tap OK.

5. The device will then update the PRL. Once the update is complete, tap OK.

6. The device will check for firmware updates.

If an update is available, follow the prompts to download and install the update.

Otherwise, tap OK.

7. Tap OK.

The device will restart.

8. The network settings have been reset, and the device is now re-activated.

Ciara

Sprint Social Care

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.  Not sure why it waited till today to email me a notification about it.

I believe the steps you outlined are what the Tech at the Sprint Repair Center tried.  However, I tried it again just to be certain.  As before, it didn't change anything.  Here is a screenshot of what my settings page looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qudyni0e1me9qv/Screenshot_20170518-152720.jpg?dl=0

From looking at my buddy's S8+, it should be the third option.  Apparently I should also have a WiFi calling button, but I'm not too concerned about that one.

Thanks,

Jason

Wizard

Make sure it is part of your plan if not they will have to add it so even if you think it is you will need to call Sprint to verify it. Smiley Happy 

Journeyman

Yup. Done that several times.  Even had the tech at the Sprint Repair Store double and triple check for me.  It is most definitely on my plan.

Sprint Social Care

Let's take a closer look into this. Please check your inbox and reply to the private message that I just sent you.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Jeffrey had me dial ##BRAND# and let it re-install the Sprint branding stuff.  After that, I now have the option.

Journeyman

Hi,

Would you be able to help me with this as I appear to have the same problem you had, but I am not familiar with how to dial ##BRAND# on my handset.  Can you or anyone help please.

Sprint Social Care

Deegos,

Hi there! Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided? If so, are you actually receiving any error?

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Am also having the same problem, I just bought a Samsung galaxy s8 plus but there is no settings for hotspot/Tethering. 

please help because i can't do without my hotspot. 

GrandMaster

did you purchase if directly from Samsung? from Sprint?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat