Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 8 question/advice

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Note 8 question/advice

I need some advice. I currently have a Note 5. With the Note 8 coming out I was interested in upgrading to it when my 2 yr contract ends in a month.

Sprint has told me that I may be eligible for a $20/mo. 18 month lease on the Note 8. But they won't confirm what deal I'll be eligible for until my contract ends towards the end of Sept.  The pinned post in this section said you could only get this deal as an existing customer if you got a new line.  I have a current phone number & don't need a new line.

There are retailers like Sam's Club offering great promotions on the Note 8. But I'm not sure whether I'll have to end my current Sprint plan & get a new one in order to switch to the Note 8.  Can I port the Sam's Club purchased phone to my current Spring plan/account?

So my question is: should I wait for my contract to end & take whatever deal Sprint will offer to upgrade. Or should I get the phone through a retailer like Sam's Club. 

Finally, is there any benefit in considering a new carrier & whatever deal they may offer? I understand the carrier deals aren't as lucrative as the retailer deal. Also, with the retailer deal I presume you own the phone? So what do you do with it once you decide you want to upgrade to another model later?

With the Sprint Flex Lease you won't own the phone at the end of 18 months.  But with the Sam's Club purchase you will.  Has anyone thoughts on which option they prefer (i.e. pros & cons).

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Community Manager

Re: Note 8 question/advice

@richards1052 wrote:

I need some advice. I currently have a Note 5. With the Note 8 coming out I was interested in upgrading to it when my 2 yr contract ends in a month.

Sprint has told me that I may be eligible for a $20/mo. 18 month lease on the Note 8. But they won't confirm what deal I'll be eligible for until my contract ends towards the end of Sept.  The pinned post in this section said you could only get this deal as an existing customer if you got a new line.  I have a current phone number & don't need a new line.

There are retailers like Sam's Club offering great promotions on the Note 8. But I'm not sure whether I'll have to end my current Sprint plan & get a new one in order to switch to the Note 8.  Can I port the Sam's Club purchased phone to my current Spring plan/account?

So my question is: should I wait for my contract to end & take whatever deal Sprint will offer to upgrade. Or should I get the phone through a retailer like Sam's Club. 

Finally, is there any benefit in considering a new carrier & whatever deal they may offer? I understand the carrier deals aren't as lucrative as the retailer deal. Also, with the retailer deal I presume you own the phone? So what do you do with it once you decide you want to upgrade to another model later?

With the Sprint Flex Lease you won't own the phone at the end of 18 months.  But with the Sam's Club purchase you will.  Has anyone thoughts on which option they prefer (i.e. pros & cons).

Howdy @richards1052, I'm happy to answer your questions and then others can chime in as necessary.

While the 50% off Note 8 offer is for new subscribers only right now, we may well have a great deal available for you when your line comes up in September.  I'd definitely advise you to give us a call back or check the website to see.

Typically you can take advantage of deals at Sam's Club and others and simply activate your phone on your Sprint plan but you'll want to check with them for specifics.  Obviously I think Sprint has the best deal when you combine lease and Unlimited Freedom plans but I am a little biased.  I encourage you to be a smart shopper, look around and get the deal that's right for you. 

I do need to mention, you've got a bit of a misunderstanding about Sprint Flex, so please allow me to explain.  Sprint Flex is an 18 month lease with a option to buy at the end.  However, instead of paying one lump sum for the remaining balance if you decide to keep it, you could choose to break it up into 6 smaller payments similar to what you paid on the lease. When you approach the 18 month mark, you'll get a notification from Sprint that it's time to decide: trade in your phone to start a new lease or pay it out.  Just let us know what you decide and you're good to go.

I have not seen the retailer deals you refer and honestly I'm not an expert about those details.  Someone may step in with some knowledge in that regard but your best bet is to ask someone at the location directly.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Master

I know I'm a bit late on this reply.
Your best option will be to purchase from Samsung.com, where you can get a $425 instant credit towards your Note8 purchase but you have to return your Note5.
Samsung also offers financing if you can't afford to pay out $540 for the phone upfront.
I hope this helps.
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Is there a link to this offer?  This is the first I've heard of it.  So if there was something concrete I could use when I contact Sprint, that would be great.

And existing customers are eligible?

Master

http://www.samsung.com/us/galaxy/note8/Note7Promo/#
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

Keep in mind, that is only from Samsung.com
Sprint or any other carrier is not giving that $425 discount.
Journeyman

I've done some research & wanted to update you on what I found.  The Note 5 does not earn the full discount.  It only earns a $300 discount.  Still OK, but not the same as the full discount.

I also didn't realize that if you finance the phone you have to accept a Sprint-affiliate credit card with a whopping interest rate (there is no interest charged on payments for the phone itself).  THat's hidden in the financing deal unfortunately.  IT shouldn't be.

Master

if you had a note7 previously, you can use the link I posted and verify that you had the Note 7.
Note5 is one of the phones there, here a screenshot from the page where you choose what phone you will return.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 1.34.32 PM.png

Journeyman

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Journeyman

@richards1052 wrote:

HERES my 3 cents. i laid down 360 more than needed. got half off the lease device price and its 7 a month after credits on device only, and today traded s8 plus for 260 which was a punch in the gut, but hopefully i can do 6 months payoff early option. i cant see paying 240 at the end.

Journeyman

When I followed the link to the Samsung Note 8 offer and registered for it, the company only offered me a $300 discount.  I've called them to find out what happened and they're claiming they only honor the $425 discount for Note 7 trade-ins.  Despite my showing them the website & promotional ad you pointed me to.

Also, when I offered them proof of the Note 5 purchase with my credit card statement, they rejected it.  So perhaps I won't be able to get any Note 8.

I may have to resort to the Sam's Club offer because of the idiots at Samsung.

Journeyman

@richards1052 wrote:

When I followed the link to the Samsung Note 8 offer and registered for it, the company only offered me a $300 discount.  I've called them to find out what happened and they're claiming they only honor the $425 discount for Note 7 trade-ins.  Despite my showing them the website & promotional ad you pointed me to.

Also, when I offered them proof of the Note 5 purchase with my credit card statement, they rejected it.  So perhaps I won't be able to get any Note 8.

I may have to resort to the Sam's Club offer because of the idiots at Samsung.

i owned 2 note 7s, and samsung wont take a s8 plus for tradein, so i went with sprint. sprint doesnt homor note 7 credit. i only got 240 from sprint for tradein, sadly not applied to price of note 8. ive had my note 8 for 6 days. as for promo gifts, good luck. samsung said a month to get promos. to me its rediculous. they bait you in and spit you out then gotta wait forever for gifts even when others getting gifts already. very strong suggestion, if you apply for promos, forget any communication with samsung, all they do it ditto what we see on our status online, then do the old policy read off and says 6 weeks or more for gifts when we know full well, others getting gifts one day after approval. good luck there.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat