Hey Patti. Have you tried both of these solutions without getting it to work?
RESOLUTION... (maybe) so this has been my issue for 2 weeks. today I realized a possibility solution and it worked for me...
close voicemail app and remove from memory
go to settings/apps
select force stop
select clear cache
select clear data
relaunch voicemail app
The app should start as if brand new. Make sure to allow all permissions.
Here is what I did to make my voicemail work. I enabled wifi calling in settings, this is free calling by the way, I typically keep it turned off because I have dropped calls before when out of wifi range. While on wifi calling I called voicemail and was able to log in and move around inside voicemail. I turned wifi calling off, called voicemail again and was able to log in and move around, called my phone and left a voicemail, badge icon showed I had a new voicemail, called and listened to me talk to me
@OldGreg_Sprint THANK YOU TONS!!!! Solution number 2 worked for me! I've been without voicemail for 3 weeks and my dad has been gravely ill. I'm sure you know how much it means to have it again!! Thank you and happy holidays!!!
Glad it worked out for you! Would you mind marking that post as an accepted solution to help out others who come here with similar issues?
If you look at the post and click the 3 dots in the top right corner, there is an option to mark as a solution
I have talked to countless Sprint reps and the end of the road is if this problem persists eventually they will just say "sorry" I'm using third party AP youmail, that definitely works. If anyone at Sprint is interested in actually solving this problem please let me know.
Yes I've tried these solutions, this has happened on both my Galaxy s8+ and note 9. I have tried every solution on this thread and none have worked. They are, however, better than Sprint's official help which has revolved entirely around upgrading to premium voicemail. In my case I do not believe the issue is with my hardware and the problem lies on the account side with Sprint. It seems to be an issue Sprint is simply unable to resolve. Although, I have noticed this issue is marked as resolved on this thread, for me that is not the case. I think it has something to do with using Google voice in the past.