cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note8 April 29 upgrade from Android 8 (Oreo) to 9 (Pie): WiFi calling no longer works

Go to solution
Journeyman

Note8 April 29 upgrade from Android 8 (Oreo) to 9 (Pie): WiFi calling no longer works

Hi,

[TL;DR: After the 8 to 9 Android update WiFi calling fails 10 minutes after a reboot with a notification about a "WiFi calling location timeout," despite all WiFi-calling settings and accuracy settings being enabled; the Sprint WFC app has disappeared from my device and cannot be replaced (not in Play Store and not sure where to find APK)]

I am desperately hoping someone can help me resolve this issue. I live in a semi-rural area and rely exclusively on WiFi calling to make and receive calls and text messages. There is no possibility for me to make/receive calls/texts without it. WiFi calling has worked flawlessly since I got my unlocked Samsung Note8 device in January of 2018. Sometimes I wonder what I'm paying for since there is no Sprint coverage where I live (though there is excellent coverage if you drive a mile down the road). WiFi calling is the only reason I still have a carrier contract.

The problem began on April 29, when I received the (as usual, extremely late) update from Android 8 to Android 9, along with Samsung's One UI, etc. I noticed immediately afterwards that the WiFi calling icon in the status bar disappeared after a few minutes, following installation and rebooting. I was not at home at the time, so I didn't think much of it until I got home later (where I entirely depend on WiFi calling). 

In short, WiFi calling functions normally for 5-10 minutes after a reboot of the phone, just as before, but after that time has passed the icon disappears from the status bar, and a notification about a "WiFi calling location timeout" appears that prompts me to adjust location accuracy settings; these settings are already enabled to their limit (wifi and bluetooth enabled for greater accuracy), but I quadruple-checked this along with every other possible WiFi calling-related setting. I tried to access the Sprint WiFi calling app that I installed in January 2018, thinking that this needed to be re-enabled, but the app was uninstalled during the update and there is no listing in Google Play or APK that I can find to install it manually. I have checked the Phone app WiFi calling settings countless times, disabled and re-enabled the service over and over again, along with ensuring that it is associated with the two SSIDs of the WiFi access point in my home (one is 2.4GHz and the other is 5GHz).

In other words, everything is the same as before except that the Sprint WFC app is inexplicably (and apparently irretrievably) gone, and this "location timeout" notification/error is triggered after 5-10 minutes after a reboot. Clearly, WiFi calling is still possible since it works normally for up to 10 minutes, but then something happens that disables it until I reboot again. Obviously, rebooting and entering my complex password every 10 minutes in order to receive/make calls is not an acceptable option.

I am hesitant to reach out to Sprint themselves because I have bad experiences with canned responses.

If anyone has any clue what happened, I'd be grateful for any tips or even to know that someone else is having this issue.

Thanks!

-Gabhain

22 REPLIES 22
Journeyman

Re: Note8 April 29 upgrade from Android 8 (Oreo) to 9 (Pie): WiFi calling no longer works

I am having this same issue with my Note8.  I also live in a rural-ish area and WiFi calling is the only way I can reliably use my phone for phone calls.  This is extremely frustrating as it was the "fix" suggested to me by Sprint after we switched to Sprint service about a year ago and then discovered that we have horrible coverage in our home.  (Sometimes, I am roaming in my living room.)  The wifi calling was so useful.  Now, if my phone rings while I'm at home and I answer, if the WiFi has timed out due to location... it either will not connect or I have a poor connection and quickly dropped call.  This is a very frustrating problem.  

Tags (2)
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Note8 April 29 upgrade from Android 8 (Oreo) to 9 (Pie): WiFi calling no longer works

Hey Tevanssc. I'm going to drop you a PM so we can get some additional info from you. We might have to open up a ticket with our tech support team to check in on this, but we'll run through a few quick things up front to see if we can make a difference to your WFC issue for you. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're also having this problem, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Maybe Sprint will improve their coverage if enough of us bring this issue to their attention. The annoying part is that there is normal coverage just a mile or so away from my house! Whenever my Internet access is lost I have to drive to the post office to use my phone!

I still haven't gotten any help with this (about 2 and a half weeks after the issue occurred), beyond a series of network refreshes on Sprint's end, but these had no effect. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

-Gavin

Journeyman

Same issue. Have to use Wi-Fi calling at home due to poor coverage. After Pie update, constant "Location Timeout

Wi-Fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your locating method to High accuracy."

High accuracy set

location correct for 911

refreshing the location does not "fix" it

I am hesitant to turn off the notification because it is just turning the radio up so I can't hear the engine knocking. Then Sprint doesn't have to fix it quickly due to all of us not complaining.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the PIE update changed how Wifi calling works.

Wifi Calling needs to be able to ping your location for 911. Before Pie, Android used a generic GPS ping for 911 which worked fine for almost everyone. With Pie, they switched it over to GPS with LTE which means that if your LTE isn't working well, neither will you Wifi Calling. 

Journeyman

Now it seems that my Wifi calls that I am able to make from home by rebooting my phone & dialing as soon as I can- are being dropped after several minutes of talking. I'm assuming this also is related to the timing of these "pings". 

Highlighted

Got it. Let's started basic. Please restart your phone. When it comes back on please reset your network.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

That works. The problem seems to be the fact that I have a very weak signal at my house. Sometimes I'm roaming. And, I don't think I ever have LTE while at home. Works fine when I head in towards town. 

Okay I see. Which zip code are you in? Have you always had connection issues at your house?

Journeyman

Yes, always had a bad signal at home with Sprint.   Voice calls drop as I drive into my neighborhood. The WiFi calling was a good solution for me at home until it stopped working. I'll probably have to return to Verizon this fall, when my youngest gets her first phone. 

I get it. There is an open service alert in your area causing connectivity issues and slow data speeds. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat