cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note8 Zero Bars on Casa Pebble and Cell Towers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Note8 Zero Bars on Casa Pebble and Cell Towers

I'll try to be brief, but this seems to be a long and lingering issue I've had.

Backstory, up until a month and half ago, I've been using my 3 year old Note8 on a Airave 2.5 flawlessly for years.  Including using a Note 2 and 4 on the same Airave.  Here at home there is zero cellular service, but we have fiber internet so the Airave allowed me to make flawless cellular (3 dings before placing the call) or WiFi calling.

About a month and half ago, I received a Casa Pebble to upgrade my slowly dying Airave 2.5.  After getting it setup, (including unplugging my Airave) I could make / receive initial text messages, but no phone calls.  I reset the Casa Pebble according to instructions, went to town about 10 miles away to update my PRL, Profile, etc.  Came back, and noticed the VoLTE icon/WiFi calling icons at the top.  When attempting to place a call, it only would go through via WiFi calling as the green light on the Casa Pebble never flickered to indicate activity.  Yet would flicker when I would text.

Finally, I disabled WiFi service and WiFi calling, rebooted, and now discovered I had ZERO cellular bars on the Casa Pebble.  Upon re-enabling my WiFi service (and wifi calling) I still had zero cellular bars.  So I decided to go to the city to get some shopping done.  There are Sprint towers beginning about 10 miles away that I always get service on.  But I noticed when driving, I still had zero cellular bars on the normal LTE network.  It wasn't until I got to a business, disabled/reneabled wifi calling again AND rebooting my phone that I could make normal cellular calls once more.

Lastly, I've noticed this same behavior at friends on WiFi calling.  If I disable/renable wifi calling, sometimes even in an area with LTE, I have no cell bars.

My main issue is this Casa Pebble.  I've contacted Sprint phone and chat support several times, of course they have me go through updating PRL, Profile, checking for latest updates, enabling, disabling CDMA, LTE, etc.  Nothing has worked.  So finally, I connected my Airave back up, though my phone doesn't work on it at the moment, my wife's iphone 6 and my mom's iphone 8 work (3 dings before placing a call to confirm).

I'm ready to ship this Casa Pebble back and halfway tempted to leave Sprint.  I hope this isn't a merger issue and a sign of what is to come as Sprint is the only service provider in this area for both where I live and work.

Any insight?  Please help!

Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted

I went through virtually the same thing as you. Hours on the phone with the former Airave support for this Casa Pebble only to find out a week later that it takes 3 weeks to provision. 

Yes during the initial 3 weeks if power or internet is interrupted the clock restarts.

It is my understanding that "After" it fully provisions with the network that it should not have to go through another 3 weeks to re-provision again. 

I am still having issues with it on my phone as I never see the LTE or VoLTE status for more than an occasional blip and then it's gone.

I live in an area that I can only momentarily connect with a true Sprint tower where I am lucky to see the word "SPRINT" and one bar and then it's gone to ROAM. 

Hopefully SPRINT can get this figured out soon. 

BTW: my wife and I both are using SG 9 Plus phones we purchased from SPRINT and are both unlocked now that we bought them out after our contract ended. Still planning on remaining with SPRINT T-mobile. 

I hope that you were able to get your issues resolved. 

Highlighted

Hey, I'm here to help! I'd like to get some more information. I'll send you a Private Message. 

S.R
Highlighted

Just a followup.  It's October and the issue still not resolved.  In fact This is now 4 months later and the Casa Pebble has does nothing but sit there and use electricity with zero ability to make/receive calls.

I have noticed that now randomly I do get the LTE /VoLTE icons that show 5 bars.  I'm thinking, GREAT!  Five months later and it decided to start working.  It *WILL* send and receive texts, but will NOT send and receive phone calls.  When I try to make a phone call, the LTE/VoLTE icon's disappear (showing only 5 bars, just no LTE icons) and the call never actually happens.  After hanging up all cell bars disappear and it shows no cell service until I reboot and toggle on my wifi.

I started a chat session with Sprint yesterday and while I was asking to return the Pebble and get an Airave 4, I was told that the Airave 4 is no longer made/supported and that them replacing the Casa Pebble is the only option.  I assured them I don't think the Pebble I have is broken and that a second Pebble won't fix it.  However I was unable to convince the sales rep to send me an Airave 4 and take the the Pebble back.  Instead, they are sending me a replacement Pebble which I suspect I may have to wait ANOTHER 3 weeks for it to provision to see if it will/won't work.

I'm not sure what happened, but Sprint has bungled this femtocell business since the Airave2 days when those devices worked WONDERFUL.  If this is Sprint/Tmobiles only future option, then I'll jump ship to a prepaid service like Mint or something to save cash and use WiFi apps like Google Hangouts if anyone wants to text/talk to me on a phone or tablet.  I have no desire to spend $150/mon on three phones if this is the quality of service I expect to continue.

Highlighted

Hey, we no longer produce the Airvae 4 so it wouldn't be possible to get one, even as a replacement. What I'd suggest is trying out the replacement Casa Pebble, if it doesn't satisfy you then you can send it back. I understand it'd be frustrating but I'd hate to see you leave over this situation, so don't hesitate to let us know if anything doesn't change. 

Highlighted

Just as a followup, I was sent a second Casa Pebble three weeks ago after I asked about possibly receiving an older Airave unit.  I had hopes that possibly my first Pebble was DOA, however those hopes were dashed upon getting the second Pebble.  I've had it now for 3 weeks and while it will show a brief full LTE bars, I can still text, but can NOT call out.  When calling the LTE icon disappears and then finally all 5 bars disappear showing absolutely no signal.  I've troubleshooted like crazy by enabling/disabling everything from VoLTE to CDMA, WiFi calling, etc.  Yet nothing has made a difference.  My mom has an iPhone 8 that is affected in the same manner as is my wife's iphone 6.  This is absolutely ridiculous for something that is advertised to work, but doesn't.  If I lived in an area where another cell company had coverage in the area while Sprint didn't, I'd immediately jump to them.  But at the moment, I'm wanting to send both Pebble's back and get SOME sort of functionality at home.  This is beyond frustrating.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update. I completely understand your frustration. I'd like to get some information, i'll send you a PM. 

S.R
Highlighted
Journeyman

At this time, I have decided to completely disconnect the Casa Pebble unit as it was interfering with WiFi calling, allowed texting, but no VoLTE calls, etc.  Sprint has offered me the ability to upgrade my phones, but I politely declined to upgrade something that is working.  Currently I'm waiting on a call by by Sprint support so I can return these two Casa Pebble boxes (the second one never sent a return shipping label for the first).  

At this point I'm going to look for an Airave 4 or something on eBay and see if Sprint will add that as my own device.  

As a forewarning, DO NOT EVER GET CASA PEBBLES!  They simply do NOT WORK.  This is verified on a Note 8, iPhone 6 and iPhone 8. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

After speaking with Sprint support, I am having my Casa Pebble returned.  I may look into sticking with WiFi calling, but still would like to have a device like my Airave that extends voice services.

Highlighted

Hi! I'm sorry the Casa Pebble didn't work as a good solution for you and I'll be happy to check out some other possible solutions. Is it just voice problems you're having in that area or data as well? You've been posting about this for some time, so I'm guessing that you've already been through a number of troubleshooting steps. You can le me know what you've tried and I'm sending you a private message to continue. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat