cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Temp Fix to Very Slow LTE speed for Galaxy S8/8+

Highlighted
Journeyman

Possible Temp Fix to Very Slow LTE speed for Galaxy S8/8+

Hello all, just thought i would throw my bit of assistance in the well known Samsung Galaxy s8+ LTE issue. Well getting started, all of us pleasant customers who have the latest and greatest GS8/8+/8Note; we all understand the frustration to no signal..so. I believe Samsung being as quick, slim and simple as they can be didnt put in enough effort to support certain aspects of sprints service. First off, knowing that Sprint has reluctantly lesser service than the other great providers ( meaning nothing because Sprint is doing good in upgrading and improving ). A lot of people give Sprint heat on there service. Which is understandable as I just stated above..however I recommend taking these steps in order before considering no solution and finger pointing. 

First and Foremost, make sure you have an up-to-date fully functional SIM card from a Sprint corporate store. If you dont or dont know they are FREE from your local Sprint Corp store and its a quick process.

Second, once you have the new SIM or already had one you will need to reset your Network Settings.

Third, Once the Network Settings are complete. Keep your GPS on and go to System Updates and update your software to most up to date version and update PRL and Network Profile.

Fourth, in Connections in Settings. Go to Mobile Network and change it from Automatic to LTE/CDMA. Than it will prompt you it needs to update SIM and reboot. Hit Yes.

Fifth: After reboot, download Speed Test by Ookla if you have not already.

NOTE: MAKE SURE GPS IS STILL ON!

Test your speeds and post your screen shots. 

Explanation: When Mobile Network is set to automatic. Your device will be looking for...

1. Advanced LTE ( better for outside in some cases )

2. LTE ( Standard LTE connect )

3. CDMA ( 3g to Advanced 3g )

While keeping GPS online you will notice that you can choose your server in the speed testing app. Choose the one with the least amount of miles between you and it. 

SPRINTS NETWORK *Like many other carriers* DOES NOT JUST RUN OFF OF THERE OWN TOWERS. THE POWER OF ROAMING!

Your data connection will run and bounce off of many towers and objects. In order to ensure the best and proper connections you must always check for the closest internet data provider that is near you. Whether it be a tower or a booster. Sprint is constantly UPDATING their towers DAILY due to them rolling out Advanced LTE. Along side of this, they rolled out for GLOBAL ROAMING the band 41. Band 41 from what i gathered is for mainly outside of the states however it does have its benefits where coverage applies. In better news, Sprint has been and had Standard LTE for a good amount of time. Their coverage map is not wrong or unreliable. It just needs to be understood. The coverage ground is what they cover in total means of Calls, Texts, and Data. BEING whatever Data they have best rolled out right now which are Standard LTE and 3G/Advanced 3G. Here are my results of tests in my area. I was getting speeds around 0.25 - 3.75Mbps. Now I am recieving 10 - 20Mbps. i do hope in any way this will help others. After weeks of frustration this seems to have been the only thing to resolve my issue until Samsung assists Sprint in fully and permenatly resolving this issue. Best Regards and Best of Luck!

-Vyret

* I have no affiliation with Sprint nor do I think my solution will solve every users issue. I seek to give help and support from understanding the struggle for quality service.

* POSSIBLE BUG ISSUE WITH S8 AND GPS*

GPS MAY AFFECT YOUR LEVEL OF SERVICE. OFF BEING WORSE AND ON BEING BETTERScreenshot_20171201-004634.png

15 REPLIES 15
GrandMaster

Re: Possible Temp Fix to Very Slow LTE speed for Galaxy S8/8+

more than likely with all new devices the OEM will end up kicking out multiple smaller updates to fix random things that were not spotted in prior testing. including things like how the phone is viewing the signals etc.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I agree very true, in this case the Sprint service itself isnt entirely rendered useless as people say they are. Cant play Netflix, cant play youtube. As far as I have seen with many phones on Sprint Network. Youtube and Music works fine, Netflix is a given' considering that Netflix prefers to stream HD and for HD it needs 720+ Rendering quality at which is not within Sprints Network range however for others such as Verizon or AT&T they have similar issues. NOT ALL CARRIERS will stream Netflix without an issue. In my area for example, Verizon peaked at 100Mbps for its time before they introduced Unlimited Data plan like all the others and since than there data has dwindled a little. Unlimited Data plans put a heavy impact on total users for connection reliability and stability. The OEM updates you refer to will help in those aspects and more. Again, the question is when will Samsung and Sprint decide its the right time to fix these. I understand the factors of upgrading/updating towers but they should look into more customer satisfaction. We all know everyone wants the Advanced LTE like Verizon and AT&T speed limits. However, while building and upgrading to the Advanced Level of LTE they should have there Standard LTE at its peak quality and service distribution to allow Sprint Users to enjoy there devices, data, and time. OEM updates are just a small contribution to where Sprint wants to be. Keep working hard Sprint.

Journeyman

Screenshot_20180129-102328.png

Just upgraded from Galaxy S4 to S8. I had no problems getting access to LTE with my old S4. These results are at a location where I would usually get on average 10Mbps Up / 2.5Mbps Down. I followed the recipe exactly.

Worst performance I have ever seen. Even for 4/5 bars of 3G, this is just completely unacceptable. I live in LA, so I am in a high-coverage area and after 3 yrs with the S4 on Sprint I know exactly what to expect. 

I am going to take my S8 back to the store. If they can't get me back on LTE I am going to have to ditch the S8. 

Suggestions for an alternative?

GrandMaster

is it happening at one single location? and if so is this location a problem child even with your prior phone or just with this new one? post the zip and cross streets for that location in case its just coincidental that there is an issue at the same time you picked up a new device.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Hi,

Topanga Canyon / Vanowen 

But I received miserable performance on my entire commute into work on the 101 (Spotify and WAZE were completely non-functional), and also here at work.

This cannot be a cell tower issue unless Sprint is simultaneously upgrading a large number of its towers serving the 1.5M+ people in the San Fernando Valley. If they are, then I will dump the S8 AND Sprint.

As I mentioned, for years I had no problems at all with my old S4. 

GrandMaster

are there any other Sprint phones around you in that same area that are seeing this as well?
Journeyman

I hope not. Since I cover over 20 mi of some of the most densely populated areas of LA on my commute, and since I experienced the same miserable performance along its entire length, I would be extremely shocked if this was a tower issue (and so would Sprint, I guess).
Journeyman

It seems pretty clear from this thread, and others, that there is a fundamental problem with the S8 on the Sprint network.  Possibly a specific hardware rev., I don't know.  But, clearly, the one I received yesterday is not working.  Unless someone can produce a magic firmware bullet, I think I am returning this one this evening.

I simply cannot waste my time with customer service on hacks to squeeze 2-3 Mbps out of a phone that I depend on very heavily.

I hope my posts inform others to be wary of the Samsung Galaxy S8 on the Sprint network.  Buyer beware.

Journeyman

P.S. Sorry, that should read "10 Mbps DOWN / 2.5 Mbps UP"
Wizard

Yeah you might try setting your Network to Automatic and see how things work in that area also make sure your device has the latest update installed as well.  As always Speeds will Always vary from device to device sometimes older devices might work well with older equipment in certain areas. Where newer devices require more updated networks to take advantage of certain things. It will always vary from area to area from carrier to carrier as well as devices. So overall everyone results will always vary no matter what the device or carrier may be. It's always a combination of two things the device itself and the hardware as far on the networks in that specific areas. These things are things that everyone deals with no matter who the carrier is. Either way keep a eye on where you seem to get better service and where it seems to be worse at. Especially your Home Area which is what I call the place where folks spend most of their time at home or their local community.  That way folks that have speed issues and know that there are good towers in the area might need to get a tower ticket called in to check on local towers. 

Journeyman

PROBLEM RESOLVED:

So, the network was definitely not the issue, but neither was the Samsung Galaxy GS8.  I took my phone to a corporate store and was fortunate to arrive at a time when their Samsung representative was in-house.  After spending several hours trying numerous network tricks, phone settings, and SIM cards, it turned out that it was the SIM card.  I was amazed that the phone would even connect to the network if the SIM card was faulty.  But, that's exactly what was happening.  The SIM card was not only preventing the phone from connected to LTE, it was also causing the 3G performance to be capped around a few hundred Kbps no matter what signal strength the phone was receiving.  Amazing!

I had always thought that the SIM card was nothing more than a secure store for phone settings and key material.  It turns out, as explained to me by the Samsung rep, that the SIM is actually a circuit that is constantly in-the-loop with the phones radio (not sure if it is in the loop at the RF front-end or baseband processing, but I assume baseband).  So, it is very possible, as I experienced, that a faulty SIM could cause very poor performance!

So, lessons learned:

1. The Galaxy S8 on Sprint is a very good performer.  I am now getting average speeds of 17 Mbps Down, 4 Mbps Up, with peak speeds hitting as high as 40-60 Mbps Down in certain locations.
  2. The SIM card is an active circuit that can affect phone performance dramatically.  It's not just a storage device.  So, be very careful if you ever have to handle them!

Thanks to those here that offered advice/recipes.  Although not all of it worked for me, a bad SIM card was one that was mentioned as a possible problem.  In the end, the Sprint and Samsung techs pretty-much stepped through similar recipes to diagnose the problem, before trying a new SIM.  BTW, they went through 3 new SIMs before finding one that worked.  The fact that they kept trying different SIMs instead of accusing the phone itself as faulty tells you something about the QC of the SIM cards.  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat