cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS Issues on S10+

Journeyman

RCS Issues on S10+

I am having isses with the Chat/RCS features on my S10+, I have tried using both Android Messages and the stock Samsung Messages apps.  It was working briefly on Android Messages and then stopped.  How do I troubleshoot this and determine if its a setting issue on my devices or something else?  It worked fine on my Note 8 prior to switching to the S10+. 

Tags (3)
42 REPLIES 42
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: RCS Issues on S10+

Let's try a data profile update first. To update the PRL and Data Profile for the Samsung Galaxy S10:

1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.

2. Tap the Settings icon.

3. Tap System updates.

4. Tap Update PRL.

5. Once the PRL update is complete, tap OK.

6. The PRL is now up to date. Tap Update Profile.

7. Once the profile update is complete, tap OK.

8. The data profile is now up to date.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

This did not solve the issue, the RCS functions still are not working.  When I first activated the S10+ it worked and then stopped, then started again, and now it doesnt work again.  Everything seems to be going out as text message now.  It doesnt make a difference if I am connected to WiFi or Sprints LTE netowrk. 

Alright, it looks like there may be issues with the phone. I'm going to send you a private message to get some account information.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I was able to finally get the RCS/Chat features to work within the Android Messages app on my S10+.  First I cleared the cache/data in the Android Messages app, then I cleared the cache/data in the Samsung Messages app (note that this deleted all of my existing text messages).  I opened the Samsung Messages app and turned off the RCS/Chat options in the settings for the Samsung Messages app.  I then made sure my Android Messages app was updated and enabled the RCS/Chat features within the Android Messages app and it worked.  For now the Chat features within Android Messages is working as it should on both Wifi and Sprint LTE on my S10+.  

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your resolution here, as it will be very helpful to so many other new S10+ users.

Journeyman

I'm having the same issues on my S9+ with the default Samsung messages app. It sporadically works but more time than not, it doesn't work. Seems to be a widespread issue across Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree that i think the issue is on Sprints end, I thought I had it fixed on my S10+ but it seems to work sporadically.  Usually a restart retores the chat features but thats acceptable.  If my phone has a data connection then it should work all the time.  

Journeyman

Mine was sporadic and now it just doesn't work period. I got tired of clearing the cache/data and restarting and hoping it would work when it only worked for like an hour anyways. Getting frustrated. I had no issues until they pushed out the Oreo update.

GrandMaster

Samsung uses their own RCS servers..and their own messaging app..the issue is on their end..not Sprints...if that were the case then the poster above that switched to Google messages wouldnt have RCS still...which they do.

@SheenaMarieS wrote:

I'm having the same issues on my S9+ with the default Samsung messages app. It sporadically works but more time than not, it doesn't work. Seems to be a widespread issue across Sprint.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

RCS worked sporadically with both the Samsung Messages app and the Android Messages app, from my experience so far it is not directly associated with a specific app.  I had zero issues with RCS on my Note 8 using either the Samsung Messages app or the Android Messages app.  My wife has a Note 5 and she has zero issues as well with RCS.  When I got my S10+ it would not work on either app until I turned it off within the Samsung Messages app and reactivated it within the Android Messages app, even still it is sporadic when it actually works.  For the most part RCS works without issues on the Android Messages app maybe 50% of the time, for the 50% of the time it isn't working I can usually resolve it by restarting the phone or by updating the PRL/Profile setting, theres still times when nothing fixes it and during those scenarios my network connection isn't even working as it should.  Which having to take that step is unacceptable as it should be working seamlessly throughout the day regardless of being connected to WiFi or Sprints LTE network.  When I need to send a message I should not have to take the time to update or restart my phone.  

I've also had issues receiving MMS text messages since upgrading to the S10+ in addition to minor data connectivity issues (which has been a theme with Sprints network).   Which all have been resolved whenever I restart or update PRL/Profile settings.   I had this issue when I got the S6 years ago, which ended up resolving itself over time through updates and Sprint fixing their network.  At that time I was told at that time it was a Sprint/Samsung issue that both sides needed to resolve.  

These RCS issues make me miss Google Allo - RIP Allo, you are missed...

GrandMaster

for the S10/10+ there is in some cases a issue with how the phone is trying to read one of the LTE bands (Samsung already knows and is working on a fix)..since RCS needs data i can see where this could be an issue..

the person i quoted though has a S9+...so no data issues..that drops them back to it being a Samsung deal...or a network deal they are seeing..but if they can browse just fine without any issues then thats pointing more at the Samsung texting app or the Samsung RCS servers again.

@banderson099 wrote:

RCS worked sporadically with both the Samsung Messages app and the Android Messages app, from my experience so far it is not directly associated with a specific app.  I had zero issues with RCS on my Note 8 using either the Samsung Messages app or the Android Messages app.  My wife has a Note 5 and she has zero issues as well with RCS.  When I got my S10+ it would not work on either app until I turned it off within the Samsung Messages app and reactivated it within the Android Messages app, even still it is sporadic when it actually works.  For the most part RCS works without issues on the Android Messages app maybe 50% of the time, for the 50% of the time it isn't working I can usually resolve it by restarting the phone or by updating the PRL/Profile setting, theres still times when nothing fixes it and during those scenarios my network connection isn't even working as it should.  Which having to take that step is unacceptable as it should be working seamlessly throughout the day regardless of being connected to WiFi or Sprints LTE network.  When I need to send a message I should not have to take the time to update or restart my phone.  

I've also had issues receiving MMS text messages since upgrading to the S10+ in addition to minor data connectivity issues (which has been a theme with Sprints network).   Which all have been resolved whenever I restart or update PRL/Profile settings.   I had this issue when I got the S6 years ago, which ended up resolving itself over time through updates and Sprint fixing their network.  At that time I was told at that time it was a Sprint/Samsung issue that both sides needed to resolve.  

These RCS issues make me miss Google Allo - RIP Allo, you are missed...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat