cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS Issues on S10+

Journeyman

Re: RCS Issues on S10+

it was doing it on both devices.  had my s9+ since launch day.  Just stopped working out of the blue.  It has nothing to do with the updates because it didn't work on the 10+ out of the box, then got the day one system update and still didn't work after that.  Being that this is basically android version of imessage there should be a way to deregister your number from the entire rcs service and start fresh but to my knowledge there is not.

Journeyman

I feel like I posted this myself. Rcs worked upon activation. I have crappy sprint coverage where I live so I use wifi calling when home. Somewhere in between wifi and and network my rcs was lost. I remedied this by going outside. Attaining a good sprint signal. Updated my prl/profile and then it would work again. So far so good but I cannot seem to send mms to iPhone users on my phone, or anyone not using rcs. Works fine between my wife's s10 my s10+ and my daughter's LG tribute all on the sprint network. But mms should send to everyone using any available data connection, right?

Same thing on Android messages as well for me. Between these issues and the wifi calling location timeout notification it could be a samsung/android issue due to pie just releasing. Things that were working for people are now not, and a common ground would be android 9.0 and how Samsung is interfacing it. Sprints network may or may not be helping, and unfortunately everything I just said is speculation because Samsung nor sprint has a definitive answer. Le sigh. Note: RCS is now functional on my phone as of this posting

Journeyman

RCS seems to be getting worse, every time I open the Google Messages app it is showing as Text Messages instead of Chat.  Restarting the phone or updating PRL/Profiles does not help anymore.  Its entirely unreliable at this point, I'll send a message as a Chat and then 5 mins later without changing my location or data connection it will suddenly revert to a Text Message.  I have even tried uninstalling Google Messages and using the stock Samsung Messages app with the Chat settings enabled, no luck.  I've spent some time researching this some more and based on everything I have come across it is an issue with the carrier (Sprint) and how they communicate with the RCS servers (most likely Jibe).  And considering it doesnt matter if I am on WiFi or Sprints Network the issues are the same so I am assuming its not an issue with any of Sprints frequencies or bands or the actual phone, but a backend issue and Sprint communicates with the RCS servers.  And to give Sprint some credit the whole RCS is a mess everywhere, too much fragmentation within Android and the carriers for it to really work.  It would really require Google implementing something in the same way that Apple set up iMessage or even Apple and Google working together to bring iMessage to Android.  

GrandMaster

agreed

@banderson099 wrote:

It would really require Google implementing something in the same way that Apple set up iMessage or even Apple and Google working together to bring iMessage to Android.  

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I thought I posted this already in here but can't seem to find it. Here's how I'm keeping my rcs working on my s10+ and the exact steps I took. 

Opened Samsung messages app and turned chat off, then back on. 

Made sure my phone had ample cell signal. 

Updated prl and waited for that to successfully upgrade  

Update profile and wait for it to successfully upgrade.

Once I did the profile reset I then restarted my phone. Upon restart my chats were working again and have been since. Make sure when you're updating your prl and profile that you have good signal to sprint towers. I tried this in my basement where I get literally next to nothing and it did not work. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can verify that this does not work.  I do not believe the issues are related to a connection between the phone and the towers, if it was then it should work fine on WiFi.  Its clearly an issue on the backend with Sprint and how they route the messages through the RCS servers.  

Journeyman

Will from Sprint directed me to turn RCS off...then go to apps->messages->clear data. Shut phone off for 2 minutes. Then turn RCS back on. I did this to my phone and my fiance's phone and chat messaging works again!

Journeyman

Well that was super short lived....was working this mroning for a while, then stopped working for everyone again except for 1 person...smh!

Wizard

As far as RCS the Samsung default Text App works but again Samsung at times can be slow to update their apps. Overall I always recommend Android Messages for the default text app first Google is trying to get everyone using their main app basically like what Apple does with I-Messages. Second between the two Android Message seems to be a lot better plus gets updated more often and is really the main texting app yes there are third party app like Textra so forth but Android Message is the way to go. If anyone having issues getting the RCS part to work make sure to reinstall  Android Messages and during the setup it should prompt you about turning the chat feature on. Folks might do the same for the Samsung Text app as well do a uninstall and reinstall.  Also make sure to turn off any VPN's until the setup is done for those using a VPN. 

Journeyman

would love to use the android version  but it never activates when i turn it on 

Wizard

@Slappynoname  Ok when you say activate are you saying the Chat feature when you go to advance? Does it get stuck on the Blue Screen that says something about just wait a few moments?? 

Journeyman

yep and it never get the notiifcation letting me know that it has been turned on.  never see the delivered or read messages from people who have the service turned on 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat