cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Wizard

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

On my S10+, I've been getting "Can't determine your location" errors/notifications when my phone can not find any cellular network, but IS connected to a WiFi network. This happens in the basement at my work where there is no detectable cell signals by any service provider. Hence the reason, I need to use WiFi calling there otherwise I wouldn't get any calls/texts!

In location settings, I have the Bluetooth and WiFi networks both checked "on" to be used for higher accuracy in location finding. I believe this must be some sort of bug in the S10+.  I never received these messages on my S9+ using the device in the same locations as I am my S10+.  WiFi calling worked fine on my S9+ in this location/WiFi network.

To clarify, on this same WiFi network (eduroam) the WiFi calling works fine granted I have also a connection to Sprint cellular network and/or roaming network (e.g. when I'm at my desk, not 3 stories below the earf). 

Any Sprint folks can help? or pass this on to any software devs?

79 REPLIES 79
Wizard

Re: S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Howdy mmark271_. I'm sorry to that you're having trouble with your new phone. May I ask what is the latest software version do you have on this device?

Have you reset the network settings on this phone? If not please try ##72786#. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
GrandMaster

i have a feeling there are going to be a few things they must address in a future update.

however...for the time being try switching the phone into airplane mode..then turn wifi/wifi calling back in and see if it can pull the info then and get back up and running at least the WFC side of it.

good to see you pop back onto the site brotha. long time.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

however...for the time being try switching the phone into airplane mode..then turn wifi/wifi calling back in and see if it can pull the info then and get back up and running at least the WFC side of it.

Excellent idea, and that worked fine without the location time out issues. 

I am on the latest software update *SBA. Perhaps I will try to reset the network settings, not a bad idea. 

Wizard

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

i have a feeling there are going to be a few things they must address in a future update.

Yeah, I've had a lot of little weird nagging issues like bluetooth turning off randomly and so forth. My wife's S10 has had her unlock the device with her pattern before she can answer a phone call, just weird things like that. Nothing that we can replicate with any certainty. 

I will say that the VoLTE is impressive compared to the "calling plus" hot garbage. Calls are eerily clear and works well between folks on other carriers too. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue. Both me and my wife on the s10 and s10+. Never had this issue on note 8 or s9. Is there any remedy to this or do we have to wait for a software update. It's very annoying and I've been trying to figure out what's up since I got the phone on Friday. Thanks! 

Journeyman

Mark, did the airplane mode work? 

Wizard

@Savededa wrote:

Mark, did the airplane mode work? 

Turning on airplane mode, then WiFi, then WiFi-calling did work. Meaning it was not requesting location information or "timeouts". So there is a bug when airplane mode is not enabled and it's trying desperately to find a network. I still get the location timeouts without airplane mode on and limited cellular network connectivity. 

Journeyman

Thank you for clarifying. I actually just switched to sprint and thought it was a problem on their end. I've reset network connections as well to no avail. Nothing seems to work, hopefully this gets escalated as an issue so we can get a fix because there is also no way to disable the notification either. 

GrandMaster

its more rare to have a new released device with zero issues compared to a new one kicking out and running like a champ without any random bug/issue fixes needed lol.

the WFC deal i have a feeling is due to lack of signal or barely a signal and its flip flopping (in theory this shouldnt affect WFC however i have noticed it on other devices as well when lack of signal is present. its almost like it confuses the phone). more than likely there are going to be a few bug/random issues being fixed in the near future.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

I am going to disable "Switch to Mobile Data" in the WiFi > Advanced "Adaptive Wi-Fi" menu and see if that helps the situation. 

Journeyman

I tried that as well Mark, no good. When I had this option on though when my wifi got weak I would lose wifi calls, at least with it off you'll be able to stay on your network without it switching. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat