cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Journeyman

Re: S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Been looking at the community and many are also experiencing data problems with their new galaxy devices I wonder if these things are related! Finger crossed 🤞 

Hey Savededa. Have you tried troubleshooting through any of the issues with data? We've found it has helped turn things around for some folks and would be glad to try and help you out. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Wizard

@OldGreg_Sprint wrote:

Hey Savededa. Have you tried troubleshooting through any of the issues with data? We've found it has helped turn things around for some folks and would be glad to try and help you out. 

Please read the o p, and all issues on this thread. It has to do with Wi-Fi calling specifically and network connectivity. This needs to be escalated. Thanks Greg!

Journeyman

I have done essentially all I believe I can do. My wifi calling settings have been updated from sprints end after a call. I have tried re-entering my address during the initial wifi calling setup. I have also done a network reset, multiple soft resets and a factory reset. Coming from a note 8 via att, never experienced this issue ever, my wife either with her s9. Now we both have s10 and s10+ and wifi calling is a problem. Please note data is bad near my home so I believe this to be either a problem with the phone which would require an update or something on sprints end that had yet to be corrected.I'm open to suggestion 

Journeyman

Sprint tier 3 has been contacted and a ticket created for the issues on the s10. 

Journeyman

Update: after speaking with sprint tier 3 and exhausting all troubleshooting items, the sprint tech referred me to Samsung to bring the issue to their attention. I'm just trying to find out when or if a fix is being worked on because nobody seems to know anything and I have 7 days left to switch carriers and return all phones purchased. 

My daughters LG tribute (free) can send mms over wifi, use wifi calling without notifications and doesn't have call/data loss issues. Something is conflicting specifically on these phones for sure. 

The tier 3 team that you've spoken with is going to have the most up to date information. Has the coverage in your area been verified?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Coverage has been verified, but the phone is not doing what it should. Seems to be a way the the s10 handles wifi and sprints network. Unfortunately though as a new user of sprint and someone who just picked up this phone I may have to go to another network to use it. Most issues I've seen for the s10 series has been on sprint only. 

Wizard

@Savededa wrote:

Update: after speaking with sprint tier 3 and exhausting all troubleshooting items, the sprint tech referred me to Samsung to bring the issue to their attention. I'm just trying to find out when or if a fix is being worked on because nobody seems to know anything and I have 7 days left to switch carriers and return all phones purchased. 

My daughters LG tribute (free) can send mms over wifi, use wifi calling without notifications and doesn't have call/data loss issues. Something is conflicting specifically on these phones for sure. 

This is not how the S9+ behaved for me (mostly). This is only the S10/S10+ WiFi Calling. It's very difficult to get any sort of bugs addressed. Way back when in these Sprint Community Forums, maybe 4-5 years ago now, there used to be people on the phone development teams in these forums, answering questions, collecting bug information, etc. However, that's long in the past. We only have a few CS support members that will suggest phone factory resets and network data profile resets. I'm not knocking them and it's great that they are here, it's just what they're limited to for information and ability. 

That said, I sure hope they figure this thing out because it is NOT behaving as it should. It should off-load all calling/text features to the WiFi-Calling when it's connected to WiFi calling. However, it clearly is not. I'm not very optimistic for your situation, though, sorry. I at least live very close to a tower so I have great home coverage. My only issue is in my work basement where I have to be occasionally. It's wildly inconvenient to have this not work, but workable for my situation. 

As an aside, the quality of WiFi-calling for phone calls can be VERY hit or miss. Most times the receiving party on your call will complain about choppiness and poor voice quality. Despite being on a very strong WiFi network even. On the surface, WiFi calling seems like it's a great thing, but it fails more often than works on Sprint phones or perhaps Samsung phones. Not true for other carriers for some reason. Sprint used to use a hacked up version of WiFi-calling that was different than other carriers, but I believe that they are using the standard protocol that is supported in Android natively now?

Wizard

You might give this a try.. 

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  4. If you have set up a PIN, enter it.
  5. Tap RESET SETTINGS. Once complete, a confirmation window will appear.

After completing this procedure, the following changes will occur:

• Stored Wi-Fi networks will be deleted.
  • Paired Bluetooth devices will be deleted.
  • Background data sync settings will be turned on.
  • Data restrictive settings in applications that were manually turned on/off by the customer will be reset to the default setting.
  • Network selection mode will be set to automatic.
Journeyman

I believe I have finally found a "fix" for this location message that users recieve on Wi-Fi calling. It has been 2 days since I've recieved one from my basement where it happens multiple times per evening. 

Please follow the steps below and let me know if this works for you. 

Go to settings, then apps. Hit menu icon in the upper right and click on show system apps.

Click the search icon and type "calling" and you will see "Wi-Fi Calling" app listed below the search bar. 

When you tap on the app you will have a list displaying battery, memory, storage, etc. 

Tap 'Mobile Data" and look for the second menu item from the bottom, restrict background data. It will be set to Roaming only. Change that to never and reset your device.

Please mark as accepted if this solution worked for you. 

Oh and sprint ... You're welcome if this works 😉

Wizard

Excellent find. I'll test tomorrow and report back.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat