cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

GrandMaster

Re: S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

i have a feeling its still there but buried in Pie somewhere.

like a sub folder of a sub folder of another sub folder lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

It is as high of accuracy as it's going to get. I think we've exhausted our options and I agree that this is probably not something that will get fixed unless it accidentally gets fixed with network fixes. This is, however, a serious issue for me. I'll keep barking up the support tree as long as it takes. 

Wizard

So I should say that the behavior with the "Never limit on roaming" setting is different than before. I will get the location time-out warning when I first enter the WiFi network if my cellular signal is weak, however, it will not continually give me the notification like it did before. So perhaps it's "better" but not quite "solved". 

Example so it's clearer: I take the elevator to the basement, I still have WiFi but weak cell signal, then I enter a tunnel to the next building where I lose WiFi completely (no nodes there) and no cellular data or maybe ROAM on USCC. When I reenter the WiFi network, while on USCC ROAM or NO NETWORK, I'll get the location pop-up. If I dismiss this, it then stays away until I lose WiFi, reconnect to WiFi again. 

Still not the same/correct behavior, but definitely better. It works to make a call down there as well, so moving the right way and I'll say pseudo-solved and mark that answer is solution for now because it clearly helps. 

Journeyman

Actually just got the notification as I walked into my basement today when my phone displayed I was going into Roaming. Unless Roaming towers don't triangulate location? Or perhaps the tower jump causes some issue. I mean honestly I'd just love to turn off the notification but of course that's forbidden. 

It seems though with all of the data and antenna problems currently on sprint this could potentially be a side effect. Curious though as anyone would care because it happens only when the phone roams. Just odd..

GrandMaster

only one way to tell. once Sammy kicks out the update to fix whatever that odd network reading issue is yall will get to see if it fixes your issue or if it stays.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Just did a little more digging. Typing this notification straight into Google pulls results of this happening 4-6 years ago! I'd also like to note that those users were on sprint, and they also never got a resolution. 

Journeyman

Hey Mark, just tried something else. I noticed when I turned my VoLTE off then back on I would get the location time out. Every time I did it. 

It's possible VoLTE is conflicting with wifi calling. I'm going to try turning off VoLTE to see if it does it still. 

Wizard

@Savededa wrote:

Hey Mark, just tried something else. I noticed when I turned my VoLTE off then back on I would get the location time out. Every time I did it. 

It's possible VoLTE is conflicting with wifi calling. I'm going to try turning off VoLTE to see if it does it still. 

Mine's been working fine today for some reason (VoLTE still on, WiFi calling on). Not a single timeout message. No updates to anything except maybe a Google Play Services update. Maybe it had to do with Google Play Services? I'm sure it'll pop up again, just found it odd that it hasn't done it today at work. 

Journeyman

I definitely don't get it with VoLTE off. With it on I do. Funny you mention not getting it today randomly last night i had a profile update pushed to my phone. I keep hearing about an update on the 27th but who knows. 

Journeyman

Unfortunately this did not work on my S8+ that just updated to pie. It was already set to never.
Journeyman

Hey, I was getting this problem too.  I'm assuming the notifications are annoying and unnecessary. My solution is to disable'ish the notifications (actually make them silent and minimized) since notifications for the wifi calling can't be technically fully disabled. 

Steps:

1) Swipe down on home screen to access the finder search

2) Search for "Wi-Fi calling"

3) The Wi-Fi Calling app should show up under Apps>App info

4) Click on the app

5) Click on notifications

6) Click on "Wi-Fi Calling" (not the slider which can't be adjusted, just the text).  This brings up the notification methods.

7) Click on "Notification Style"

😎 Change to "Silent and Minimized" 

Journeyman

Thank you.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat