cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Journeyman

Re: S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

So after trying it for a few hours it doesn't get rid of the notification in the notification drawer but it doesn't create any sound notifications.  So all in all not a perfect solution but a lot less annoying for me now.  When I get a text/vibration alert I know it's real and not just WiFi calling location problems.  

Journeyman

I had my S10 swapped due to the data issue and it also had this WiFi calling issue.

The new S10 is actually worse on the data issue BUT I haven't gotten the WiFi calling location bug ONCE in 3 days now.

I did have a few factory resets too FWIW I did playing around so not sure if after updating on the 27th and doing that avoided that bug but if you've not factory reset and tried ##BRAND# (this doesn't factory reset) try those for giggles.

The SN on my new S10 is a much higher number than the first one I had and still has the LTE bug though 😕 I don't understand what about some people getting swapped fixing it is going on...

Wizard

That's good to here. We're currently working thing out. We appreciate your patience. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I believe this may have fixed it! Thank you for figuring this put!

That is awesome to hear! 🙂 

Journeyman

I'm sadly having this issue again/still even with the replacement I thought fixed it.

Does indeed seem to be related to either the GPS or cellular radio though.

It's definitely not the wifi or the ISP.

This really is kind of sad since WiFi calling should NOT have any sort of dependency on mobile data radio at all unless it's related to the VoLTE stuff but even if so it shouldn't break it flat out randomly. It should just break any possible hand-off if it needs to happen between the two.

I wish sammy could confirm SN ranges for HW defective S10s...

Hey BryanX! We pushed a new software update for all three Galaxy S10 models yesterday.  Have you tried updating your software since then? Settings> System Updates> Download and Install

@HELPeR_Sprint wrote:

Hey BryanX! We pushed a new software update for all three Galaxy S10 models yesterday.  Have you tried updating your software since then? Settings> System Updates> Download and Install

Yup. Even did a binary level re-flash which blows away and makes it like factory by blowing away the provisioning info at the same time. I set it up again, did NOT restore any backups, let it re-activate and still the issue.

It's either a true SW bug with funky conditions to trigger or a combo of the HW issues some have but I have no way to validate and don't like the idea of swapping a 3rd time on an unknown which leaves me kind of stuck.

Journeyman

I need to clarify my "fix" statement above, so you know what I think fixed it for me. Back in March, @Savededa posted a fix by going into Wi-Fi Calling Mobile Data settings and changed Roaming Only to Never. I have an S8. I did @Savededa 's instructions to a T, and it's been 24 hours with no "Wi-Fi Calling Location Not Found" notification. Wi-Fi calling is still on, Volte is still on. Cross fingers this sticks!

Journeyman

@lteachum01 wrote:

I need to clarify my "fix" statement above, so you know what I think fixed it for me. Back in March, @Savededa posted a fix by going into Wi-Fi Calling Mobile Data settings and changed Roaming Only to Never. I have an S8. I did @Savededa 's instructions to a T, and it's been 24 hours with no "Wi-Fi Calling Location Not Found" notification. Wi-Fi calling is still on, Volte is still on. Cross fingers this sticks!

One of the issues is you won't always know the issue happens. It doesn't always trigger the "sound" and it can self-recover.

I actually have seen it MORE when VoLTE is enabled (though my area isn't VoLTE live yet). I suspect it's because it wants to maintain a data session on LTE also because they allow handoff between the two. But when my signal goes from Full to 0 it freaks out and poops.

Put phone in airplane mode and turn wifi and wifi calling on and the issue doesn't happen from what I've seen lol. Problem with this is MMS doesn't work over WiFi only SMS and most my SMS are actually MMS due to being groups or from iPhones etc.

You can also setup apps to do screen mirroring if you work on a computer all day and see it that way easier.

Journeyman

So I seem to have the LTE issue resolved via a modification on the cell side done by an engineer (another story..).

I've tested it for a few hours with 0 LTE dropping.

So I went back to WiFi Calling to test that again and guess what, still randomly timing out location.

It's not happening a ton but still happening. So I know it's now not tied directly to JUST wanting data available. The data part may be because location data can be gathered this way.

So something is funky in the software that means. It shouldn't need to check the location unless the WiFi network association changes.. For starts WiFi calling makes you register the location. That's the location sent when calling 911 even... So why does this thing keep having panic attacks lol. I suspect it's the location checking to see if you're in a "approved" location to use WiFi calling?? Some countries and places don't allow...

I'm about 99% sure this is software and not HW at this point though... So with Sammy/Sprint so focused on the LTE issue I think this needs to get looked into a little better still.

It takes time to duplicate and requires the right conditions. In my case it can't get a GPS signal because the newer buildings block signals. The roofs are foil wrapped, windows low-e (which means metal in it) plus have extended roofing past the windows and the walls also have foil. The location needs to be dialed back a bit on it I think... The point is provide coverage in areas with no coverage yet it requires itself to validate location 😕 #Fail hah

Wizard

@BryanX wrote:

So I seem to have the LTE issue resolved via a modification on the cell side done by an engineer (another story..).

Expand on this please or if you've posted it elsewhere, let me know. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat