cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

Journeyman

Re: S10+ and WiFi calling location issues - requires cellular network

@mmark271_ wrote:

Expand on this please or if you've posted it elsewhere, let me know. 

Not really anything to be shared as don't want to start speculations or false information. It's faaar too early to have anything concrete enough. Plus keep in mind a lot of people are working on things and I just happened to stumble onto one of many paths. End of the day it's possible even if something is found that it should NOT be done as mobile phones should NOT dictate network level parameters IF they are following the standards properly so this still really falls onto Samsung (or it's chip suppliers) from my view.

That said what was done does NOT magically "fix" if an S10 has HW issues. It's either working around a compatibility issue or working around a HW issue but likely isn't something that would go wide-scale, this is more just testing theory and isolating things. It's also not even confirmed if what was done would be applicable wide-scale because different vendors etc. are used out in the wild. What may be possible with one setup may NOT be with another.

I promise you if Sprint finds a magic bullet they will run with it with arms open! hah

That aside back onto the WiFi calling fun. So the roaming option doesn't actually really do anything in this case for those of you doing. If you go back to that same screen you can see IF data is used by the app. What you will find is mobile data is NOT used by the app you're changing. That's really more of the front end GUI app. Another actually manages/controls the wifi calling and is not accessible for playing with these sort of settings on.

If somehow it's helping some of you, I guess that's great but from a technical point it "shouldn't" be and could just be a bad mask (by maybe breaking the alert and just self-recovering and you not knowing).

I've hopefully got another S10 inbound so I can do some more playing. It could be a case of perfect storm conditions. I do always seem to find myself finding the unique issues in life lol.

Sprint rolled out an update this week to fix some of the current issues with the s10 and s10+. Unfortunately it may not fix issues on previous phones and we are encouraging customers to exchange these phones for new ones with the update software. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Yup, sadly this is a case where the devices become permanently impacted by failure of SW fix in time from Sammy.

You'd think Sammy would just recall them as imagine the people getting bad service but don't know what the forum/reddit etc. is and just think Sprint is horrible lol.

Maybe someone should run up the chain a notice getting sent to all S10 owners via SMS that says something like "Have you noticed a decrease in reception since your S10, if so give us a call or visit a store! If not no action needed"

This will haunt Sprint for a long time. And less customers on Sprint is less money for Sprint which means less investment which hurts the rest of the customers.

Wizard

GrandMaster

might be my work computer but im not seeing any pics popping up.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Edit wrong link!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pdShcUGWLFtJyHL6

Try this 

GrandMaster

thank yuh sir.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

So far it seems S8-S10 have this issue.

It's caused by changes in the latest android update.

I can reproduce it on any of these models in my location. Even across other accounts. It requires conditions to be just right (which is why it's not super wide spread). Just enough to be annoying and keep everyone running around.

Essentially you have to have poor/no GPS and poor/no mobile data.

Testing with iPhones does not do this in the same locations. I've not been able to test other model devices though.

Guess we just need someone at Sammy or Sprint who can get in a similar environment to reproduce so they believe hah

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat