Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 to Note 8

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

S7 to Note 8

I had a Note 4 the software went bad so I waited till the Note 7 was released, I was up for my update so then I by passed all other phones to get a Note 7 only to have to return my Note 7 due to issues and then get a new one then to have to return it again then had to get one of the phones I bypassed which was an S7 so now am I going to be able to get an Note 8 with its release coming soon I've been a Sprint Customer for well over 10 years is there something they will be able to do for us previous note 7 owners.

32 REPLIES 32
Community Manager

Re: S7 to Note 8

What happened with the Note 7 was really awful.  Both Samsung and Sprint worked hard to get customers into devices that would work as quickly as they could following the incident.  At this time, there are no plans for a promo like this, but I'll certainly pass along your thoughts.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

I read on Android authority today August 23rd that Samsung was extending an olive branch by means of any previous note 7 owners to trade in their phones and get up to $425 off a Note 8 do you have any confirmation with Sprint

Community Manager

That was actually a statement made during the Note 8 Announcement and is being reported by multiple sites.  This offer isn't something Sprint's involved with and we suspect it's for the customers who purchased directly from Samsung.  However, I did reach out and ask for more information today and will be happy to share with you when I have heard back.

We did hear today that Sprint customers who purchased a Note 7 and then had to return it due to the recall are being made upgrade eligible so that they can purchase a Note 8 if they like.  If you're on a lease or an Installment agreement, that's going to require a giveback of the current device. Just a reminder, Sprint doesn't do 2 yr agreements anymore, so you'll either pay MSRP for the phone or upgrade on Sprint Flex lease.

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Sweet I'm more than happy to return the current phone S7 in Immaculate condition to re-up on a new phone or new lease that's pretty much all I wanted is to get back to upgrade status thanks for all the help and answers keep me updated if you can.

Journeyman

@seawolf wrote:

That was actually a statement made during the Note 8 Announcement and is being reported by multiple sites.  This offer isn't something Sprint's involved with and we suspect it's for the customers who purchased directly from Samsung.  However, I did reach out and ask for more information today and will be happy to share with you when I have heard back.

We did hear today that Sprint customers who purchased a Note 7 and then had to return it due to the recall are being made upgrade eligible so that they can purchase a Note 8 if they like.  If you're on a lease or an Installment agreement, that's going to require a giveback of the current device. Just a reminder, Sprint doesn't do 2 yr agreements anymore, so you'll either pay MSRP for the phone or upgrade on Sprint Flex lease.

Thanks for the info. I am in the same boat as the OP. However, after turning in my second Note 7, and settling for the S7 Edge, I was not offered an option to lease. I in fact requested it and was told I could only get the 2 yr purchase price. Can Sprint reset my eligibility?

Community Manager

We are finalizing the details on that right now, @bamf76 but I think you (and others) will be pleased.  It'll most likely be tomorrow when I have all the pieces in place.   I am also running a Note 8 pre-launch thread here that you are both more than welcome to hang out and post in: Note 8 Pre-launch Info and Question

SeaWolf

Community Manager

Info on the Samsung offer: 

Samsung Exclusive Note 8 Offer to Note 7 buyers

SeaWolf

Journeyman

So...if we previous Note 7 owners had to purchase an alternate phone via 2yr plan, our only recourse is to buy the Note 8 at full retail, then pay the ETF (for me ~$280), then purchase an unlocked Note 8 from Samsung and get a discount by trading in my S7 to Samsung. If this is the case, then what incentive do we have to stay with Sprint? Unlimited sub-par building penetration?

Community Manager

I'm sorry, @bamf76, that link is in response to @RS4Racer's first question specifically regarding the Samsung offer details.  It really doesn't pertain to the eligibility question.

I was waiting on confirmation on a few pieces but we should be good. If you purchased a Note 7, we're making some adjustments so that you can upgrade to a Note 8.  

Starting Friday 8/25/17:

• If you purchased a Note 7 on installments, returned it and immediately started a new installment agreement on another device, you will be eligible to upgrade with giveback as soon as we have received 12 consecutive payments towards the new phone.
    • Unfortunately, there's no way to pre-pay the 12 payments and accelerate this process without paying off the entire balance. 

Starting Saturday 8/26/17:

• If you leased a Note 7, returned it and immediately started a new lease on an alternate device (like an S7), you will be eligible to upgrade with giveback. 
  • If you purchased a Note 7 on a 2 yr agreement, returned it and immediately bought another subsidized device, you will be upgrade eligible to upgrade. You do NOT have to turn in your device in this scenario.
    • Keep in mind: we no longer offer 2 yr agreements (I know the OP knows this but some folks just wandering in won't know).  You can upgrade on Sprint either with Sprint Flex Lease or full MSRP or you might be able to take advantage of the Samsung offer above

Resetting eligibility is a bit of a process, especially for a large number of customers at once, hence the reason for the delay.

Scenarios that where you might not qualify for an upgrade:

• If you leased a Note 7, returned it and swapped back to an older device you already owned, then later upgraded to a new device (such as the LG G6 or the Samsung S8), you will not be made eligible to upgrade now as you have upgraded to more recent technology than the Note 7.
  • If you purchased a Note 7 on installments and did not return it until late in the year (say November or December) to purchase another device, you will need to wait until you've made the 12 consecutive payments mentioned above.

SeaWolf

Journeyman

My bad. Thanks for the info. (insert Homer melting into bushes meme)

Community Manager

HA!  No need to fade away.  I'm glad the question came up.  I added it to that FAQ thread too.

SeaWolf

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat