cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9+ Edge Lighting not working when screen is off.

Journeyman

S9+ Edge Lighting not working when screen is off.

So I've had the lovely S9+ since the beginning of April and it's a fantastic phone. I've had no issues with it other than the edge lighting not working when the screen is off. I've changed every setting you can possibly change to get it to work, but nothing does. It works fine when I have the screen on, but I want it to work when the screen is off more so than when the screen is on. I've heard this is a Sprint issue, so I'm wondering if they're going to be fixing it with an update or what?? Part of purchasing a phone at this price point is getting every feature without issues. Sure there are going to be bugs, but you expect those bugs to be fixed as they're reported.

I know I'm not the only person with this issue, so I guess I'm just wondering if Sprint/Samsung plan on fixing it at all?? Does anyone know for sure? I'd love any info you can give me! Thanks!Smiley Very Happy

50 REPLIES 50
Journeyman

Re: S9+ Edge Lighting not working when screen is off.

Don't hold your breath. I have the s8+ and have had that problem for as long as I can remember  I thought oreo would fix it, no luck and no answers. They don't care  

Sprint Social Care

Hello lulubelle143 and jokylos1. There are some steps that I would like you to try:

1. Restart the phone safe mode by pressing the button on the right then hold power off option until safe mode comes up.

2. Make sure that Edge Lighting is turned on for all apps, normally it is on just for 3 of them. Head over to the Settings > Scroll down to find Display and then navigate to the Edge screen > Press the toggle switch at the top of the screen to enable it > Under the Show Edge Lighting tab, make sure that Always is selected.

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you for replying so quickly. 

I've done as you instructed and it still does not work. All the apps are selected. 'Always' is selected. The app has all the permissions it needs. Still nothing. I've even tried only having "When screen is off" selected to see if it would work then and it doesn't. The Edge Lighting worked out of the box, but as soon as the phone had it's first software update, it stopped working. So I think this is something Sprint or Samsung has to patch and put into an update themselves because a lot of people are having the same issue. So much so they're spending $3.00 in the Play Store for an Edge Lighting app. We shouldn't have to do that for a phone that's $900+. Everything should work as it's supposed to. Especially because it works for people who have Verizon and AT&T. So it's obviously in the software of the phone that caused it to stop working.🤷‍♀️

Sprint Social Care

lulubelle143. Since your services are working properly and it is an issue related to the device itself, also there are other Samsung users having the same problem it may be fixed through an update pushed by the manufacturer. In this case, you'll need to contact Samsung Support, please click here to get in contact with Samsung Community or you can also contact them by dialing 1 (800) 726-7864.

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

That "solution" didn't work, your latest answer puts me back square 1. I will say that it does work with third party messing apps to a certain extent. Just doesn't work at all with the native Samsung messages app. Good day  

Sprint Social Care

@jokylos1.

As we previously said, if the services are working properly and this is an issue that most Samsung devices are having, the best option would be you contact Samsung support by dialing 1 (800) 726-7864 or you can also wait until they release an update that might fix the bugs. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Journeyman

Thank you for clarifying by stating the obvious. Good day. 

Wizard

First make sure to have a Samsung account then also make sure to check the Galaxy App Store to see if there are any updates for the devices. 

Wizard

Oh just thought of something you might check make sure  Pop Up Notifications are turned On when the screen is off for the apps that you want to use Edge Lighting..  You will find these settings within the App themselves like Always show up or Show up when screen is off.. So it may vary from App to App which again folks have to remember many times these issues are a App issue getting them to work with a certain feature.. Smiley Happy 

Journeyman

Thanks for your reply!

As I said above, every setting that could possibly be turned on to make this Edge Lighting work when the screen is off has been turned on and still nothing. It only works when the screen is turned on, which isn't as handy as it working when the screen is off. I'm hoping they patch it in an update and it starts to work again because it's a little ridiculous that it doesn't. Just have to wait and see.

Journeyman

So here's the thing. any apps for sprint model will not wake up the screen when notifications come in. If the screen doesn't wake up when notifications are in, then edge lighting won't work. That is the concept and it is the sprint who made the notifications to not wake up the screen while in sleep. thus edge lighting can't work. Samsung isn't at fault here. I hope this explains well.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat