cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9+ Edge Lighting not working when screen is off.

Journeyman

Re: S9+ Edge Lighting not working when screen is off.

@jokylos1

I have a lot of space on my phone as I have an s7 Edge for my games and stuff like that. So my 9+ has next to nothing on it other than what came on the phone lol. So I don't mind that it's a little heavy as long as it works. Again, thanks for the tips! Hopefully Samsung fixes it, but I'm good with Textra if they don't.

Community Manager

This Edge Lighting problem has been an issue since the S7 on all carriers and I have reported it to Samsung ever since.  They tell me it works, but you do a simple Google search and everyone is complaining about it even on their own Community. 

I have a workaround, which I posted last month...https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Series/S8-Edge-Lighting-Not-Working-After-Samsung-E...

It works. 

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am

Thanks for commenting! I actually got it to work with Textra, which has an option to turn the screen on when I get a message. The Messages app and the Google messaging apps(Messages and Hangouts) don't allow that option. So Samsung needs to add that option to the stock Messages app and Google has to add it to their apps to get it to work. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my phone, but now that I got it working by using Textra I know it's just the apps themselves that don't work and not my phone. I don't think I've ever troubleshooted something so many times and all it would have taken was me downloading a 3rd party texting app... Hopefully they fix it soon, tho, because I do like the Messages app that comes on the S9+, but I'd like it MORE if it allwoed the Edge Lighting to work. If you find out anything from Samsung or Sprint, please let me know!☺

Community Manager

No problem. You can used the native Samsung messaging app with my workaround btw. 

Journeyman

What's your work around?

Not to mention but this phone has been out for how long. It hasn't worked since the s6 edge... that's not samsung that's sprint! Verizon has the option to turn notifications to the right side and not the top. Sprint has no such choice and that is controlled by sprint.

I'm tired of all the lies!

Wizard

Hi there. I completely understand where you're coming from, I would want my phone working the way it's supposed to as well. Here's the workaround that was found in another thread. https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Series/S8-Edge-Lighting-Not-Working-After-Samsung-E...

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Community Manager

@Traveler519 wrote:

What's your work around?

Not to mention but this phone has been out for how long. It hasn't worked since the s6 edge... that's not samsung that's sprint! Verizon has the option to turn notifications to the right side and not the top. Sprint has no such choice and that is controlled by sprint.

I'm tired of all the lies!

My workaround is about 3 post above yours...scroll up.  Edge Lighting is not a Sprint problem, it's been a problem on all carriers.  There are complaints on Samsung's own community page.  Google is your friend.

Wizard

Yeah Samsung is slow about releasing updates to their Apps to add features or address those that are not working. Just another reason why sometimes its best to use other Apps from Google off the Play Store.. 

Journeyman

I agree!! When I was with T-mobile all the features worked and I had way more features with my T-mobile s9+ then I do with Sprint, I regret switching to Sprint. Edge lighting doesn't work, I had to pay for the app.

Journeyman

Samsung doesn't know how to resolve the issue, they just refer you to a Samsung store, that will factory reset your phone and it still won't work, it is an issue with the phone itself provided by Sprint, because it worked fine when I had the s9+ with T-mobile, Sprint's phones are outdated and need to be updated.
Community Manager

Edge Lighting is a function of the phone and has nothing to do with what carrier it is on. A simple Google search will reveal Edge Lighting is a problem on every carrier.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/Edge-Lighting-not-working/td-p/9...

@resint_1 wrote:
Samsung doesn't know how to resolve the issue, they just refer you to a Samsung store, that will factory reset your phone and it still won't work, it is an issue with the phone itself provided by Sprint, because it worked fine when I had the s9+ with T-mobile, Sprint's phones are outdated and need to be updated.

GrandMaster

out of curiosity..which features did you have over there that you do not have over here?

@resint_1 wrote:

I agree!! When I was with T-mobile all the features worked and I had way more features with my T-mobile s9+ then I do with Sprint, I regret switching to Sprint. Edge lighting doesn't work, I had to pay for the app.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat