Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 Plus keeps trying to connect to a tower that is further away

Highlighted
Journeyman

S9 Plus keeps trying to connect to a tower that is further away

My S9 Plus keeps connecting to a tower that is further away and a weaker signal.  It also keeps jumping bands from 26 to 25 to 41, all within a few minutes.  This is frustrating.  Started happening around early December 2019.  The tower right by me is only about 50 yards away.  Signal used to be very strong, but now it is weak most of the time.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: S9 Plus keeps trying to connect to a tower that is further away

the agent that pops in will need a tad bit more info to look into this..starting with where you roughly are...zip code and closest cross streets so they can narrow down which tower(s) you would normally connect to...does the issue follow you or it only happens while in that area? does it continue to happen if you perform a network reset?

as a reminder..this is a public forum..so dont post any physical address or info in here..keep that to private message (pm) only with the agent when they request it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

The issue seems to only happen here.  Service used to be great, but all of a sudden it went downhill fast.  I have reset my phone ran all the updates and the issue persists.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

unless the entire zip code is being affected the agent will also need the cross streets.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Cross streets are Torrance Blvd and Madrona Avenue.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Just looking at the cross streets, that location is surrounded by 4 sites.  The closest site is .20 miles away and it's the least updated.  The other sites are .40, .60, and 1 miles away respectively.  I can see the phone reaching out to the "further" sites because they are all updated with 2xCA, 3xCA, and Massive MIMO.  Keep in mind this is a high-level overview based on cross streets.  I don't have an exact address or phone number to see what site the device is accessing.  If you want to shoot me an email, I will do a deeper dive.

@mrfly2 wrote:

Cross streets are Torrance Blvd and Madrona Avenue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The closest site is about 30 years from my exact location.  The site was worked on in December 2019.  I issue permits for the city and I when work will be done.  Site has worked perfectly for years and now after the latest s9 update and the site being worked on it has gone all down hill.  The site is located at Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90503.  Permit was issued October 2019 and work was done in December.

Community Manager

That's the site I was referring to.  That is the least updated site out of the 4 surrounding sites.  There were no customer-impacting upgrades, only software, and RSI updates.  All the other sites are fully upgraded.  I can see the device favoring that site over the closest.  Once again, this is a high-level overview.

@mrfly2 wrote:

The closest site is about 30 years from my exact location.  The site was worked on in December 2019.  I issue permits for the city and I when work will be done.  Site has worked perfectly for years and now after the latest s9 update and the site being worked on it has gone all down hill.  The site is located at Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90503.  Permit was issued October 2019 and work was done in December.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  Is there any ETA on updating this tower?

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

There is some schedule maintenance for tomorrow with an estimated 4 hour duration. 

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat