cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 native messaging app "Chat" vs SMS and alias.

Journeyman

S9 native messaging app "Chat" vs SMS and alias.

OK....I need an explanation please.

I just got my S9 and almost loving it.  I need to an explanation on a couple of things in regards to the native texting app.  There is a section in the settings area for "Chat Settings".  When this is chosen, there is an option for "including alias".  Can someone explain what this is?  Also, when I am using this app, I have noticed that it uses Rich Communication Services (RCS) for only one of my contacts.  I know this because my conversation bubble turns BLUE while all my other conversation bubbles are GREEN with every other contact.  Can someone tell me when and how it chooses to use RCS instead of SMS or MMS?  The contact that it turns blue does not have a Samsung Galaxy phone.  I am befuddled!

I would love this phone if they didn't take away the option to choose different notification tones for different contacts.  This was a great feature as I didn't have to look at my phone every time I received a text message.  Unfortunately, now I have to because there is only one choice.

19 REPLIES 19
Sprint Social Care

Re: S9 native messaging app "Chat" vs SMS and alias.

Good morning @SprintUser_Bob, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We have a previous post explaining all of this. Click on the following link to learn more SOLUTION: Samsung - Rich Communication Suite Tips and Tricks

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

@Sprint_Jeffreywrote:

Good morning @SprintUser_Bob, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We have a previous post explaining all of this. Click on the following link to learn more SOLUTION: Samsung - Rich Communication Suite Tips and Tricks

Thanks Jeffery.  I only asked my question after searching the community without success. Thanks for the link. 

Journeyman

@Sprint_Jeffreywrote:

Jeffery, after reading the tips from your link, it is obvious that article was for Nugat and not Oreo. Also, there is no explanation of what "alias" is and how to use it in the message settings. Please explain. 

Sprint Social Care

The interface in Nougat and Oreo are pretty much alike. Meaning that the same steps will apply.

As per the Alias, is a name that is defined by the user that represents the user as a Chat participant on the recipient devices, if no Contact exists in the contact list.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

@Sprint_Jeffreywrote:

The interface in Nougat and Oreo are pretty much alike. Meaning that the same steps will apply.

As per the Alias, is a name that is defined by the user that represents the user as a Chat participant on the recipient devices, if no Contact exists in the contact list.

Thank you for your timely response. The one main difference I noticed is in Oreo, the RCS text bubble is BLUE and an SMS bubble is GREEN. 

Wizard

The default text app will vary on features so as far as texting apps go some will always have more features than others.  

Below is a good read on some other Text Apps our there besides the default Samsung Text App. 

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-text-messaging-apps

Community Manager

RCS is on as a default on the S9, but it will only use those Chat settings when the other party in the conversation also has an RCS enabled device.  If anyone in the conversation isn't using or cannot use RCS, the message will fall back to MMS.

I've honestly never fiddled with the Alias setting, I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

@seawolfwrote:

RCS is on as a default on the S9, but it will only use those Chat settings when the other party in the conversation also has an RCS enabled device.  If anyone in the conversation isn't using or cannot use RCS, the message will fall back to MMS.

I've honestly never fiddled with the Alias setting, I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

@seawolf...I appreciate your efforts.  I did a bit more research and thru trial and error totally agree with your RCS assessment.  I was familiar with the Enhanced Messaging on my S6 which is now RCS on the S9, but it still remains rarely used.  Thanks again for your responses.

Journeyman

Actually you can edit the ringtones to be different for specific contacts. Not sure,  maybe you have already discovered this being that the question is several months old.  But if you open a message from the contact you want to change the ringtone for, and open up the menu in the right hand corner (3 dots). You'll then see Conversation Settings-Notifications. Under which will read Default... if you just tap it,  there you will be able to change it to Custom. Hope that helps. 

Journeyman

@Magmeister9 wrote:

Actually you can edit the ringtones to be different for specific contacts. Not sure,  maybe you have already discovered this being that the question is several months old.  But if you open a message from the contact you want to change the ringtone for, and open up the menu in the right hand corner (3 dots). You'll then see Conversation Settings-Notifications. Under which will read Default... if you just tap it,  there you will be able to change it to Custom. Hope that helps. 

Actually I already discovered this. Seeing my OP is quite old, Samsung has made a few upgrades and improvements to their message app. One was assigning a personal ring tone for your contacts. But thank you for posting your comments. 

Journeyman

What can be done if the person DOES have RCS enabled on their device and I still am unable to use certain feature like seeing if a message is Read ? Case in point they have an S8 and I have an S9 they can see when I've read their text messages but mine are stuck at " Delievered " only.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat