cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 pie update - Xfinity gets it first

Journeyman

S9 pie update - Xfinity gets it first

Ok Sprint, Xfinity let their US customers have the Android pie update for the S9 and S9+ today, how much longer do we have to wait for it?  

https://www.sammobile.com/2019/01/29/first-carrier-locked-galaxy-s9-android-pie-update-rolling-out/

10 REPLIES 10
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: S9 pie update - Xfinity gets it first

Hey SirVikin. We don't have a target date just yet, but all the latest details will be dropped into the Samsung section of Community as we get more info. 

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/bd-p/Sammy

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Highlighted
Journeyman

And now Verizon has released Pie to it's customers.  Sprint used to be on top when it came to things like this.  Since the T-mobile merger announcement, it seems like Sprint is happy to let their competitors beat them at everything.  I really wish Sprint fought as hard for their customers as they are fighting for the merger...

~ Long time Sprint customer that feels like Sprint has given up and rolled over

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

When these rollouts come through they have to be fully tested with the carriers to ensure compatibility. Sprint will get this out as soon as it can be verified that releasing it will not have any negative impacts for their customers.

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

GrandMaster

weird..i have yet to see ANY change in device update roll outs for any of their devices..seems to be rolling through as it always has..whichever carrier gets their testing done first with the least amount of issues found gets to release it to their devices first..which this go around is Verizon...which on average carriers releasing their versions are within a week or so from each other unless big issues are found.

if you dont like the hold up that ALL carriers have when it comes to updates you can always jump to the Pixel/straight Google phones since they get them directly from Google with zero carrier hold ups. if not then you get to sit in the same waiting room everyone that owns a Android phone sits in while waiting for the carrier testing/the OEM to add in whatever the carrier requested to be added in for their devices..which takes time and tons of testing...been this way since the first Android device was released.

@SirVikin wrote:

And now Verizon has released Pie to it's customers.  Sprint used to be on top when it came to things like this.  Since the T-mobile merger announcement, it seems like Sprint is happy to let their competitors beat them at everything.  I really wish Sprint fought as hard for their customers as they are fighting for the merger...

~ Long time Sprint customer that feels like Sprint has given up and rolled over

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I get the wait, truly i do.  I've been a Sprint customer for more than 10 years, I think I understand better than most.  What bothers me most though is that since the announcement of the merger, Sprint does not have the same attitude that it used to.  It's like they have given up.  In the 10+ years I've been a customer I can't recall having service issues like the ones I've been having since the merger announcement.  The last year alone I've seen towers being down (stuck on roaming) speeds going from 60+ down to 5-7, pings of over 200, etc.  You call customer care and the attitudes have changed as well, they just don't seem to care.  I've seen it in the local stores as well.  The Android update just seems like another drop in the bucket when compared to the service I've had.  Maybe I've been lucky for 10+ years, but I've always loved Sprint's scrappy attitude, and miss it now.  

GrandMaster

got you beat by a couple years customer wise lol.

i know they have been doing a ton of additional upgrades tower wise..especially with lighting up VoLTE...on top of that the new roaming agreement with TMO which made some phones prefer roaming over the bit of LTE they were pulling in just fine..so that had to be messed with...ton of stuff in the background that they cant talk about currently happening that will be a plus before and after the merger.

upgrade wise though i know its been the same ol way since back prior to the original HTC Evo..i loved that freakin brick of a phone lol (brick as in weighed a ton not didnt work)

funny part is Samsung is the worst when it comes to the extra bloat that gets added into the phones compared to the other OEM's. if memory serves this update or the next one is supposed to bring in the new IU or whatever...which is going to be interesting in here for a while with issues found etc lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

BROTHERS!!  SISTERS!!  THE PIE IS NIGH!  NIGH I SAY!!  No, really...PIE is dropping for the S9 like now.  G960USQU3CSAB is the version.  Keep in mind, this bad boy is YUUUUUUUUUGE!  Like almost 2GBs, so may take a while.

GrandMaster

within a week or so of the first carriers release Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Actually less than that...  Here are the details, read up!

Software Update: Samsung Galaxy S9 (G960U) 1/31/2019

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

within a week or so of the first carriers release Smiley Happy

GrandMaster

eh my original post still stands. usually the updates start pushing out within a week or so from the first carrier kicking it out...well unless there are issues that have yet to be taken care of or are still in the process of being taken care of..it still holds strong lol.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat