cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 text message ring tone

Journeyman

S9 text message ring tone

Anyone with the new S9 notice that we don't have the ability to assign text message ringtones to contacts? Now all text messages have the same ringtone. Does anyone know if this was an oversight by the developers of the Oreo OS? Or better yet, does anyone know if it will come back in the form of an update? I hate not being able to know who is texting with everyone having the same ringtone. 

14 REPLIES 14
Sprint Employee

Re: S9 text message ring tone

It looks like this is by design in Oreo, I have passed this up to have our developers look into it, and will post back when I have more information.

No longer working Community Response.
Sprint Employee

I wanted to post back to let you know I have not forgotten about this, I just have not received any new information.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I appreciate you!

Wizard

Yeah this has been discussed if your referring to the option from your contacts is something that the Contacts App will need to be updated most likely. Also as far as text messaging goes if people want to use a different sound for a contact they can look at other Apps besides the default one. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really hope that it's a quick fix bc I love knowing who'd texting w/o looking at my phone. One of my favorite things taken away. I have also noticed that I cant change the color of the led light in the top left corner. So I don't know if I missed a text a call a notification or my phone diying bc it's all the same color.

Journeyman

Tried your suggestion....doesn't work for text messages. Hopefully the Samsung fix will come soon, I'm really getting tired of hearing the screaming goat every time I get a text message.  Unfortunately it is stuck on that one! Had I known there was going to be an issue, I would have changed it ahead of the update.

Community Manager

I got in touch with my Samsung contact and he provided this information

Journeyman

Well that's disappointing 😕

Journeyman

I called Samsung and they said they are aware of it, however we will have to wait for an update to fix it. Right now, I can not even CHANGE the sound that is on it! It is set on the Screaming Goat and it is getting on my
NERVES! UGH!

Journeyman

I'm going to try to upload a text messaging app and see if it will help our situation. I will let you know what happens.

Community Manager

@WildStang07 wrote:

I called Samsung and they said they are aware of it, however we will have to wait for an update to fix it. Right now, I can not even CHANGE the sound that is on it! It is set on the Screaming Goat and it is getting on my
NERVES! UGH!

This screaming goat?  LOL!  Tip of the cap to you for that ringtone.  If you cannot change it, data got corrupted during software installation. You can hard reset the device and that will fix it, but you have the headache of the after-effects of a reset.  Or, you can attempt to reset the notification settings.  I don't have a Samsung here, but from memory, I believe it's:

Settings > Apps > All Apps > and click the top right corner one with three dots. 

Reset Preferences  Apps  >  Click > Reset Apps 

If that does not work, then it's off to a hard reset.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat