cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 Enhanced Messaging

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Samnsung Galaxy S8 Enhanced Messaging

Any update on this? We still do not have it available on our S8 plus. There has been updates to the phone and the Android messages application and it still doesn't work?

Sprint Social Care

Hey everyone. I couldn't find anything on my end regarding the Enhanced Messaging feature on the S8/8+. Maybe a future software update will bring it in for this phone.

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Community Manager

Team, I have an S8 and was pretty sure I've been using the feature all along so I was a bit confused about the discussion.   I spoke to our Product people and verified, yes it's definitely part of the S8, The feature is no longer called out as Enhanced Messaging in your settings because it's been more completely integrated into this build and is part of Samsung's rich communication services suite.

What is it about the way your messaging behaves that makes you believe it's not included?  Is something not working as you would expect it to?

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

With the enhanced messaging feature you can use as like a chat. You can see when other messages are read and when an another user is typing back as long as they have the enhanced messaging option on as well. 

Where is this option on the S8?

Master

Open your messaging .
Make sure you are not under a conversation.
Go to settings by hitting the 3 dots on top right, more settings and under txt and mms you have the read confirmation and other settings that you can turn on.
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community Manager

Hey @Dj_Damjano, text only has auto-combine for long SMS as a setting.  MMS has Auto Retrieve and I wonder if, by toggling it to ON, messages will always appear Read even when they're not.

Thanks @Gia4611 for the clarification as to what you expect to see and aren't. When you have a message open and you're both using an enhanced or a rich option, are you saying that you do not see someone typing?  I know I see it on mine, so I'm just trying to verify.

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

I don't have those options. 

Journeyman

Correct I no longer see it. 

Community Manager

That's helpful, thanks.  Have you changed anything about your mobile data settings to limit on network data use?  Not that I know this is the issue, just wondering.  I also wonder about the other person in the convo and what his/her device settings might be contributing to this.

I'll be sending off your thoughts later on today so we can either investigate a problem or set an expectation of what is normal and what is not for the product at this point.

SeaWolf

Journeyman

Nothing has changed. I went from the s7 to the s8 and the feature wasn't there. The other users I know that are still able to use it are on the s7 and note5 

Thanks for the help. 

Community Manager

OK, I have an update to my earlier statement as my product team gave me more details and we clarified feature or product name semantics versus product/app behavior/ability.  I'm going to unmark my earlier answer and mark this one, for the time being.

Apologies for the earlier confusion but I want it to be clear. So here goes.

What is incorrect from earlier: the S8 does not have the feature/product known as Enhanced Messaging installed.  It also does not currently have RCS enabled. Samsung's RCS suite isn't launching on the S8 until later this year.  

What is correct: the S8 does have some data-rich (enhanced) messaging behaviors and features integrated right now and will likely get more in the future.

I don't have a full list of what features or behaviors will be part of the suite nor do I have a firm 'when'.  Right now, it looks like we'll see launch sometime in the late summer/early fall time-frame (understanding that stuff happens and that might be pushed back).   

I still think something is up, though, @Gia4611 because I was literally chatting away with a girlfriend in Atlanta last night and absolutely saw the little bouncing dots in the window when she was typing a new message. If you don't, I want to know why, mostly cuz I'm nosey.

SeaWolf

Journeyman

On my wife's purple S8plus she has options to enable or disable Enhanced Features under Android Messages app. 

Sprint had me factory reset my Black S8plus twice and sent me a new sim card but my Enhanced Features never completes setup. 

On our purple S8plus it shows more options.

• Enable enhanced features
  • Send read receipts
  • Show typing indicators

On my black S8plus, when I try to enable the features the screen never completes it just stays there.

The test would be everyone with a S8 or S8 plus download Android Messages and go to Settings -  Advanced - Enhanced Features - hit Next and see if it enables.... Again mine does not have those options the Next screen never completes but on my wife's phone it completes and has the options above.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat