cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 Enhanced Messaging

Go to solution
GrandMaster

Re: Samnsung Galaxy S8 Enhanced Messaging

the problem is the corporate repair store really needs your device in hand..they try a bunch of stuff and report back in to corporate tech support on their findings..what didnt work and what did work. only problem currently is what you mentioned..why did it work fine on one but not the other..thats the key thing they need devices in hand to try and figure out.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I completely understand why they want us to bring devices in, I work for an electronics manufacturer, it's  dam near impossible to troubleshoot stuff like this without said device in hand.  It's just not possible to get to a store right now. Thanks to the team here for their patience with us all, and look forward to a solution.

Journeyman

Agreed, I've worked for corporate IT and have had my own computer businesses for many years. I do not have 2 hours one way to have them factory reset my phone. I will probably just deal with it by using GV or facebook messenger or something else because I will not trade my practically brand new phone for a refurb. I would end up switching to Verizon before that happens. Hey atleast i got a pretty good deal on these 2 phones.

GrandMaster

you have a pretty good idea at how many times i have had someone say "the thingy isnt working" in here lol.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

A few tidbits of info.

The SMS code comes from short code 9197 and is only a confirmation that RCS has been successfully installed and enabled on the phone.  It's not necessary to do anything with that code to complete the process. 

You can check to see if it's enabled by doing the following:

1. Open the Messages app.
  2. Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
  3. Go to "Settings".
  4. Go to "Chat Settings".
  5. Check the setting for "Rich Communication settings".

Looks like this:

Screenshot_20170818-092408.png

@JPhrost I know you've taken all these steps and still don't have RCS on at least one of your devices.  It sounds like you've also done a Factory Reset.  This isn't being reported as a widespread issue at present.  That being the case, it looks like it's down to a problem with just the individual device and there probably isn't anything more we can do remotely.  Either Samsung or an Asurion tech will need to look at the device.  I know you're working around it for now.  I'll be interested to hear what happens if you're ever able to get it into someone's hands.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Ok, I can enable these settings. The Rich Communication activation prompt still shows every time I open the application.

Has anyone actually tested these Rich Communication settings and seen them working? Alias? Chat instead of sms or mms? Over WIFI only?

Lets see someone post some pictures of the differences.

It may not be a widespread issue yet but I am not the only one, there are a few of us with the same issue. So it would be a few of our devices that need replacing. 

Also I still cannot enable enhanced messaging through Android Messages.

Can anyone verify they can enable enhanced features through Android Messages and verify they can enable Rich Communication through the stock Messages app and verify both work?

If its only me, then Sprint should just send me a Brand New Phone not a refurb, its not like this phone is even that old. 

Master

I would strongly suggest to take your phone into a Sprint store and have them take a look at it.
OR You could go to a Samsung booth inside a bestbuy and get some help from a Samsung rep there.
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

I did take mine to the local Sprint, they couldn't even give me a sim card and they didn't even have a s8+ to compare.

I was trying to test with my wife's S8+ and it has an option called Start Group Chat. This is probably how you can tell if your phone has enhanced messaging\Rich Communications enabled.

Unfortunately when I hit it on her phone it doesn't bring up any contacts that have it enabled...

Journeyman

well, after an Over The Air update my messaging app asked to input my activating code for enhanced messaging. I had to unblock 9197... And then 9197 texted me the activating code and the app filled it in on its own.  

If I would have to guess, I would say my phone was sending out activation code requests to 9197, but it didn't have the receiving app active... But that seems really odd... Maybe Sprint is sending out codes randomly. Who knows.

Update as of 2 minutes ago, I just got another text from 9197... Unrequested. I'm blocking them again.

Adam

Journeyman

Unblock it from where? I don't see it blocked anywhere.
Journeyman

Interesting enough I dug out my Sprint Note 4 (this is the phone I had before the S8+) and went into the messages app to make sure enhanced features were not enabled. 

When I tried to enable it on my Note 4 it did send a 4 digit code to my S8+ but the code does not work, it says Registration Failed.

The code does not come from 9197, it comes from some other random numbers, I tried it via text and Phone call but Registration failed each time.

If I input the number on my Note 4 it does enable enhanced messaging on the Note 4. Funny thing is I do not have my note 4 on my account and it cannot make calls, I do have wifi turned on.

The only reason I fired it back up is to make sure it was disabled on that phone.

So this definitely looks like a problem with my S8+, which sucks because the screen protector was $50 and its the forth one I have tried on this phone.

If factory resetting the phone is not fixing it then it must be replaced. How does one go about getting a new replacement and not a refurbished one?

Journeyman

Rich Communication Service is showing as active on my s8. The code was received and it SAYS it was activated. My husband has enhanced set on his s7. Still it is only sending sms. This was my favorite feature on the s7 and I've been waiting for it and it still doesn't work. Smiley Sad
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat