cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

I started a chat session fri 5/10/19 so I'm not sure they opened an actual ticket. I never got a ticket number. My only concern about waiting for a fix to be pushed is that I know 2 people who are sprint customers who also have the same phone, and don't have this issue. I'm going to factory reset my phone later today if I have time and we'll see if that helps.
Journeyman

Bill, just an FYI. That has also been a concern of mine in that my wife has the exact same phone as I do and had never had the Location Timeout error, but she experienced it for the first time this morning. It appears to be cascading. Smiley Sad

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

@Bill-A, being told that there is a call back set up, tells me that a ticket was submitted. But since you didn't get a ticket number, I would like to look further into it. I'm going to send you a private message to get your account information.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I also am having the same problem, but willing to bet it is related to Android Pie.  Never had the problem on Oreo, went to Pie and it started.  Rolled back to Oreo and it stopped (ie worked like is should WIFI calling without the location timeout message).  Reinstalled Pie (official version) and it started again. 

Frustrating because where I work in a location that Sprint doesn't want to put towers close by like Verizon or ATT has (there is a 3rd party lease tower within line of site of my building) and it is a brick building with a metal roof.  And that is just my building, other buildings around the area just as bad that I can't get any service other than WIFI calling.  So hopefully sooner than later Samsung and Sprint will figure out that there actually is a WIFI location issue.

Journeyman

I have been following the various threads for this problem for a while. After trying many suggestions that ultimately failed I went to turn off Wifi calling until it could be resolved. My signal isn't too poor in my house and I can get VOLTE service here.

Then I realized I have always had this setting on - namely because the FAQs make it sound very attractive to use the 2 together. I had not seen any posts where people mention turning off VOLTE so I decided to turn it off for now to see what happens. It has been 14 hours and no Location Timeout message so far!

I will update later if this trick continues to work. If it does then maybe it can help someone at Sprint or Samsung find the root cause of the problem and get both working as advertised.

Howdy paulbp4. Thanks for all the info and the tips and tricks. Keep us posted. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I haven't had a problem since my last post. Not sure why. I really didn't do anything other than turn wifi calling off as was suggested. I turned wifi calling back on a few days later since I needed it at work and no problems since so I'm not complaining. Volte is on.

It's great to hear the issue is resolved Bill-A.

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

@Bill-A wrote:

I haven't had a problem since my last post. Not sure why. I really didn't do anything other than turn wifi calling off as was suggested. I turned wifi calling back on a few days later since I needed it at work and no problems since so I'm not complaining. Volte is on.

Unfortunately this isn't an option for me.  I work at a location that only way to get Sprint service is to use WIFI calling, and I turned VoLTE off since there is a spot on my home that has voice service, but not LTE where VoLTE always drops the call. Sprint decided to not put a tower closer to my work location when they had the chance to do that - where AT&T and Verizon did.

I am hoping that Samsung will fix their firmware on the next update which should drop any day now since they have been doing monthly patches yet on the S8+.

Highlighted
Journeyman

See if Sprint will give you an Airrave. I live within a small area where Sprint coverage is much weaker than the surround area. The airrave provides good coverage for my house and most of my yard where I need it most. Without it, I'd drop calls or they'd be choppy. Without that, I would have had to switch carriers a long time ago. Once the dust settles and I'm 100% sure I'm not going to be getting that timeout notification, I would hope I can send the airrave back because wifi calling should handle that I would think.

Sprint has always seemed willing to help me resolve any issues such as this or billing issues when non corporate stores screwed up my billing when I bought new phones, which is my I've stuck with them. Plus, the plan i have offers better nuts and bolts than similarly priced plans from ATT once you really look at what you're actually getting for the money. Hopefully they'll take care of you the same way if you call them.

It's been almost a week with wifi calling on and no notifications. My phone has been restarted several times too.
Journeyman

I was told by Sprint that AirRave is no longer an option since we have access to calling over WiFi. If anyone can get an AirRave, I'd like to know since I have used them in the past and I KNOW it works even if calling over Wifi doesn't.

Journeyman

I had to talk to someone from customer retention, but that was years ago. At that time I couldn't make a reliable call from my house and had a new phone and plan all picked out with Verizon since their phones worked where I live. I was ready to jump ship but they stepped up. Now, almost everyone on my block is using ATT because they have good coverage there.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat