Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

I meant to say "on it's own"...
Journeyman

Sadness. Spoke to soon and probably jinxed it. Got the dreaded location timeout notification. 

At least I got a few days of relief from it!!!!

On to waiting for another software update to see if it fixes it!

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Howdy markr468. I'll be more than happy to assist.

Couple quick question:

* Have you completed an update recently?

* What is the update version on your phone? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Yep, phone is up to date.

Software Version is G955USQS5DSE5. That was updated last week, can't remember the exact date. 

That created an issue that eliminated the icon/notification that wifi calling was on. Fixed via ##BRAND#. Didn't have any location timeouts until this morning, so it worked for awhile!! Has not repeated itself as of now, so at the very least, a huge reduction in this error. (Just jinxed myself....!!!). 

Alrighty. With this newer update the 911 tagging feature has been changed. Prior to the update this feature used GPS to tag the location. Now this tagging is dependent on strong LTE signal. If the LTE signal is not strong enough the WiFi calling will time out. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you very much for that info. 

So, for those of us who have "weak" cell signal and hence use wifi calling (whether due to tower placement/distance or building/basement issues) we will have to put up with the error. 

Can you ask the software developers to enable users who are in this predicament to block/turn off the notification? Currently not allowed. I already know I have weak cell signal.

Appreciate your quick response and good info. Have a wonderful day!!

--Mark

I hear you Mark. The team that is in charge of the updates, and such have been made aware of the change. As for an ETA on the fix, that hasn't been released at this time. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

It's all good and I appreciate actual real info; I now know why it's behaving like it does which is always better than not knowing. 

Maybe stick the developers in an area with poor cell reception...might change their thought process!!

Journeyman

Hate to say but as pointed out WIFI calling was to compensate for weak Sprint service areas (or areas such as inside buildings when Sprint service may not penetrate), and if I had strong LTE (or CDMA) service wouldn't need WIFI calling functionality.  Why does the phone have advanced locations services such as GPS, cell phone tower triangulation, WIFI reverse lookup (could be spoofed with VPN) and they decide to use Sprint LTE for user location parameters?  Doesn't pass the common sense test... 

GrandMaster

i still think this was a change up that Sammy did..you dont see tons of complaints from other manufacturers devices that are on Pie as well and have WFC..only the Sammy line is running into this as far as i can tell.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am getting location time out messages while on strong LTE at my house.  I am in great Sprint coverage and still getting the message.  I forgot to turn it off once I left work today and don't need WIFI calling at home.

Journeyman

Ok might have found something tonight that "might" be the fix.  I have changed it on my phone but haven't given the phone enough time to "time out":

Settings
Apps
Click on three dots in the upper right corner
Special Access
Optimize Battery Usage
Click on not optimized pull down to "all"
Go down to LocationServices
Move slider from right to left (turning the blue dot off)

What this should do is keep the Location Services from being put the sleep to save battery.  Believe changing from battery optimized to not battery optimized will not allow LocationServices to sleep (which will use slightly more battery) and keep it running in the foreground at all times.   

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat