cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

Just got the June 2019 update on 5 July 2019 (today).  I had left Wi-Fi calling turn on and still getting the location time out error - but I am at home with LTE coverage.  So if this error is based on not having LTE coverage (which I do), why am I getting this error?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hi WEIDNERJ1! That is rather odd. Just to verify, will you text me the Software Version that just updated your phone? If you need help accessing it, let me know.

Also, before this update today, you were getting the Location Time Errors already correct? If so, do you somewhat remember when you started getting them?

Journeyman

Only started to get the error after the Oreo to Pie update.  I beta tested the Pie before release (and had the error) and rolled back to Oreo and it stopped.  Took the official Pie update and had it ever since.

Journeyman

The location timeout started for me after the June security update.  Never got them before that.  I held off installing it until mid June. Then got a SECOND June update on June 28th and installed it right away hoping it would correct the wifi calling location problem.  It did not. 

I apologize about the delay in response. We are looking into possible solutions for this location time out error message. If you will please follow up with us on Monday to see what some of our Lead Techs can advise us with, we would greatly appreciate it. 

Journeyman

This issue has been going on since the early April update. Assuming this was Oreo to Pie. Also assuming, based on previous posts, it has to do with WiFi calling using LTE to confirm location....but since the majority of us use WiFi calling because we don't have decent LTE coverage....Catch-22.

Have seen in my searches for a solution that it may have to do with the Andoid Pie limiting the background app in using GPS location services, to conserve battery. If that's true, then the fix was to use LTE to get location. But since I have only 1 tower within range (according to the Spring Network Tool), that won't work for triangulation. And I have a magic box....so it's not just having good LTE reception. But then again, I may be grasping for straws. 

And the weird part is that wifi calling seems to work just fine. I have clear reception, can make calls, receive calls, etc.

At the very least, I would just like to shut off the notification. And with the early July update, it's gotten much worse. Don't think that would be so hard to program...! Is there a way to set a custom notification sound for this particular notification? Could then set it at least to silent or vibrate or soft ping. I don't want to disable all the other sounds just because of this.

It also seems like my battery is draining faster...with it trying to get location semi-constantly. I have noticed that since upgrading to Pie....if so, that defeated the purpose of extra battery life, just traded one routine for another. 

I hope the Lead Techs have something to offer. I appreciate all of you S.M.A.R.T people checking on this but it would appear it's at the software writer's level. 

--Mark

GrandMaster

i still dont believe this change up was on Pie...seeing as how other manufacturers devices are also on Pie and are not running into this with their WFC. to me this would be a change up by Samsung in this case...or cases that came in with the Pie update.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

You're probably right. I'm grasping for straws. It did start with the update in March, thought that was Oreo to Pie. And as you say it may be a coincidence and was not related. I don't know. Just trying to relate when it started and the behaviors I've noticed. Appreciate your input!

-Mark

GrandMaster

thats the only factor i have found so far though. the manufacturer differences with Pie and this issue...or where the reports are mainly showing up compared to the others..everything so far that i have seen is on the Samsung side..no reports in the LG forums for this issue as of yet that i have found.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I switched to T-mobile today, and they don't have the problem.  Sad to leave Sprint (after being a customer for 25 years) but if I can't use WIFI calling when I don't have Sprint LTE service that was a deal breaker for me.  T-Mobile doesn't care where you make the WIFI call from, even overseas.  

Hopefully they are able to figure it out for you Sprint uses.

Journeyman

Were you able to keep your Sprint phone or did you have to get a new one?
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat