cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Location Timeout

I have not had this software update come thru. My last one ends with DSF3 and came in about a week ago.

The Android Pie update changed the way that WiFi Calling works. Previously it used regular GPS for 911 verification on WiFi Calling, but with Pie it switched to LTE GPS tagging for 911 verification. If the LTE signal isn't strong enough, it can't ping your location for 911 verification and will timeout for WiFi calling. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Oh boy that's not good. The only way I've been able to survive with Sprint has been with wifi calling. Guess we only have a 4 month relationship left til my contract runs out. Too bad. We've been together for such a long time 🙁
Journeyman

Further research.  Samsung says wifi calling is controlled by each carrier.  This would mean that Sprint made the change in the Pie update for it to ping Lte rather than GPS (other carriers don't have Lte). Since you changed the way all phones work on Sprint wouldn't that be enough to void my contract so I can get out sooner than 4 months? 

While WiFi calling is a feature that carriers enable/disable, the carriers aren't responsible for the coding that fundamentally changed how the GPS ping works for 911 verification. This issue has been happening across the major carriers since the Android Pie update. 

We'd be glad to look into seeing if you are able to get an Airave to boost voice signal, or a Magic Box to boost LTE signal in your area if you'd like. 

Drop me a PM if you are interested and I can get a bit more info from you to check and see what's available in your area. 

Journeyman

What are we suppose to do in a location where we don't have a Airave or and a MagicBox would be useless - other than go to another provider that uses GPS than a LTE network?   My wife will not be very happy with Sprint, the same as me to go to Wisconsin where there is no LTE coverage, actually no coverage at all, yet where we stay has WIFI and that is how we still stay in touch with friends and family while we are up there.

Journeyman

I see myself switching to Comcast mobile. They use Verizon towers and Comcast wifi hotspot. And their plans are more than reasonable. I've also been waiting for Sprint to allow the galaxy watch as a stand alone. Don't think that's ever going to happen. Looks like it's going to be a total switch to Apple (much as I hate the thought!) I believe what Sprint has done is reason for plans to be cancelled legally without charges.
Journeyman

Samsung says it's Sprint problem
Sprint says it's Samsung problem
No magic box can fix what ails Sprint and Samsung.

As I mentioned before, you can go out and see that customers on other carriers are having the same issue since the Pie update. Trust me, if I had the power to make this go away, I would absolutely do so. WiFi calling is absolutely necessary for a lot of folks who don't have the connection to carry them through most calls. Unfortunately this is something that is out of our hands since we don't handle the programming of the Android OS when it comes to the core functionality of how the phones are reaching out for 911 verification. 

Journeyman

Still puzzled by all of this. This problem is bugging the crap out of me but I know two people who have Sprint and the same S8+, same settings, and have never seen this problem. One lives down the street and has the same issue I do with very minimal signal, but has never gotten this notification.
Happy 4th everyone!
Journeyman

I need a phone on wifi calling when I am out of my house. Sprint coverage in this area is pitiful at best. At least Comcast uses Verizon towers and Verizon has good reception in most areas so shouldn't get wifi timeout.
1) Are there wifi calling problems with the iPhone or is it strictly Samsung phones?

2)It is beyond imagine able to pay $1000 for a mobile phone plus $15 insurance every month and end up with a top notch phone that can no longer be used. 

3) Why is the knowledge of what has caused this problem only available on this forum site? I have waisted too many days trouble shooting this problem with two different levels of help at sprint complete with the higher level taking a 15 minute break in the middle of helping me then telling me I would gave to call sprint tech support. The Sprint tech person gave up and sent me back to sprint complete even though I told him I had been there. He even sent me the link for the app to talk with them (I already had it) but the worst part was the link he sent was for the app to back up photos. Talk about a circle of incompetence. No wonder so many are frustrated with Sprint. I also had help from 2 different girls on the Sprint Facebook page. At least they felt the problem was in the app and needed an update. Why are not all these people aware of this problem and on the same page with answers? I know more about these phones than any of the first 3 that helped me.

I tend to agree with the Facebook sprint techs that an update needs to come thru that will solve this problem. . My troubles did NOT start after the pie upgrade. But rather after the June security patch. In fact I received 2 security patches on June and was hoping the 2nd one on 6/28 was to fix the problem.

To repeat myself, it is pitiful that a $1000 phone still under contract and has insurance deducted to cover problems becomes useless to so many. Sprint blames Samsung, Samsung tells us to call Sprint. Sprint needs to solve this problem ASAP and they can do it by putting pressure on Samsung.

Journeyman

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I've been fighting with Sprint for over 8 years about cellular coverage and the only reason I'm still with them is out of a twisted sense of loyalty since I used to work there. I'm retired now, and Xfinity appears to have a solid plan, very affordable, and I've verified that Verizon has excellent coverage at my house. Two more months and I'll say goodbye to Sprint forever. 😞

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat