cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s8 Active does not work properly at all

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s8 Active does not work properly at all

I have been a customer with Sprint for over 12 years, having several phones on my account. I have never had any real issues with Sprint services or devices, until recently. I upgraded one of the phones on my account in March, going from a Galaxy s4 to the Galaxy s8 Active. And with every phone call to customer service and every troubleshoot, diagnostic service, etc... I have been calling at least 1-2 times a month, with the same issues with the s8 Active dropping calls, not being able to make calls, calls where I can hear other person but they can't hear me and so on. Every time I make a call to customer service, they have walked me through several of their troubleshooting recommendations and the phone will work for a few days or so. But then again, it goes back to the same issues. They even transferred me to one of their higher up techs & they couldn't figure out the problem. I have done it all, reset the phone's network, updated the software and prl, phone system reset and even a full factory reset. With every try, the phone reverts back to the same issues. I took the phone to Best Buy to have them check the phone with their software with no luck of finding issues. I drove almost 2 hours to a Sprint full service and repair store, for them to tell me that they could not find an issues. I even called Samsung themselves and they had me send the s8 Active to them for hardware issues. After almost 2 weeks, the phone was sent back. They did everything that Sprint had me do as far as troubleshooting and they checked the phones hardware. Of course, as everything else, they found nothing wrong with the phone. I called Sprint again, asking for them to allow a swap out for a phone similar to the s8 Active, even if it was a down grade to s7 or what not. But of course, I am told that I needed to follow the troubleshooting steps yet again. Then THE WHOLE CYCLE BEGINS AGAIN!! 

I have read through many different sites that talk about the s8 Active and I was not surprised that many have had the same issue with the same phone. And I was recently told that the s8 Active was discontinued! I am getting really sick and tired of having to keep calling about the same issue and not getting any real help or answers. If anyone knows of what else I can do, I am all ears!

15 REPLIES 15
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Samsung Galaxy s8 Active does not work properly at all

We're still actively selling the s8 Active. I honestly feel like this is a defect issue. Have you spoken with Samsung since you have received the phone back? I recommend telling them you want a replacement. The replacement should be able to be sent to you and then you return the one you have. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I have had my family on these same phones for the past year. We have had nothing but problems and no resolve from sprint. We have done everything that sprint has wanted us to do. From software updates to getting an air-rave for the house. I work with a couple of gentlemen that have phones on the Sprint network. One has a Galaxy S8 and the other has an IPhone X. Both of them are able to communicate and send text messages with their devices while at work. Not me though! I attempt and fail numerous times. I will drop calls frequently. It’s not just my phone. My whole family has problems with these pieces of junk. All I get from sprint now is them asking me if I have insurance because that will enable me to upgrade. Well I don’t have insurance and that means I am stuck with this crap until the end of the lease. My step-daughter was fortunate to have a friend that had an iPhone 5s and switched her service from active junk to the iPhone and now does not have any problems. With numerous calls to tech support and visits to a full service store, just to be in the same boat I have been in the last year, is definitely poor business. There may not be anything wrong with the sprint network. But, to not stand behind a product that you offer your customers is piss poor. When the lease ends, you guys can have this crap back and my business will be going elsewhere. I don’t know if sprint stands to lose a lot of money by taking back this product and making customers happy or what. But, sprint has done very little to make me happy. I guess it is better to not take a loss on the product and lose a potential long term customer than it is to chalk up an initial loss and keep us happy. 

Hey asevener. That is certainly frustrating and you shouldn't be having so many issues with a device that is barely over a year old. There are a variety of things going on here that I want to start drilling down into. Can you help me answer the questions below?

1. You indicated having texts not go through and calls being dropped. Is this only happening while you are at work or is it happening in multiple locations? 
  2. Do you know if your coworkers were using work wi-fi when texting/calling at work?
  3. For your texts that aren't going through, is this when texting any particular person or group?
  4. For the calls being dropped, does the phone show an error when it happens such as "CALL DROPPED" or "CALL LOST" , or is it an issue of dead air/silence during the call? 
  5. You mentioned your family also having issues. Are they having issues only at home, or out at other/multiple locations?
  6. You mentioned having a Galaxy S8 Active, and your daughter having a 5S. What other devices are being used by members of your family? 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I asked for replacement but was told by both samsung & sprint that i have to do thru Asurion. Why should i pay a high deductable of couple hundred dollars for a phone that never worked correctly from day 1.

Journeyman

EXACT SAME PROBLEMS HERE, DOWN TO EVERY WORD!

Journeyman

OldGreg_Sprint

asevener1969 & I are having the exact same problems & we dont know each other. It is not a coincidence for us both to experience the same exact "defects". And neither Sansung nor Sprint has given us the response we need. And that is to take this "defective" phone & switch to either closest similar phone, S8 or S9 whatever. With all if the money I pay for my Sprint services is over $700/month. I expect that what im paying for works correctly without problems. I cant run a successful construction/remodeling business if my employees dont bring their tools with them. It is not fair for anyone to keep paying a lease for a phone that is really only good for is to tell you the time on home screen.

asevener1969: I am asssuming that you were told the same as I was from both Samsung & Sprint. It gets really frustrating & angry to have to  call at least 12+ timesa month because the equipment we are paying on a lease. Then to keep being told it is not the device issue at all.

Sum, can you clarify some things for me?

1. Are you having issues with texts AND calls, or only calls?
  2. Is this only happening in one location or multiple? 
  3. To clarify, the calls being dropped, does the phone show an error when it happens such as "CALL DROPPED" or "CALL LOST"? In addition to that you are also experiencing dead air/silence during some calls?
  4. Do you notice a trend between where calls are being dropped vs dead air is happening?
  5. Do you know anyone else who is experiencing issues like this in the same locations? Do you know what type of device they are using?

Journeyman

I tried to reply to this in the afternoon today. But of course I couldn’t do it with the S8 Active. I had to wait and use my IPad at work.

You asked about texts not going through and calls being dropped. Whether it was happening at work or at multiple locations. I can have 4 or 5 bars and drop calls during conversation. I can have 4 or 5 bars and a text may never send or indicate that it has sent with the recipient not receiving it for quite some time afterward. Sometimes days.

You asked if my coworkers are using WiFi. We do not have access to the companies WiFi. Yet, my co-tradesman on my job has Sprint service with a Galaxy S8 and another co-worker has Sprint service with the IPhone X. They both are able to text, recieved and send calls and access Data. Which I cannot.

You asked about text messaging failures. There is no special circumstance for the failures. It sends and receives when it wants. Sometimes it will send fine or recieve fine. Other times, it won’t do it at all. Even if I have 5 bars and LTE displayed. No mater who I send to, group or individual.

You asked about dropped calls, if the phone shows an error. I can be communicating then I will hear a bleep, then nothing. I’ll look at the screen and it will display call lost while displaying 5 bars.

You asked about other family members having issues with phones. We all purchased the S8 Actives. But, being they work so well, my daughter decided she wanted to transfer over to an iPhone 5S. She has had no problems since doing so. So, it is myself, wife and two sons still dealing with this. 

We started having problems right away. So the first thing we did was go to a sprint store and were advised that we needed to get an air-rave, before sprint could do anything else. So we got the air-rave, which I believe was a waste as well. It may work great with a phone that actually works.

From that point forward we had been directed that we needed to upgrade software and numerous other ideas that failed. A couple of times we were advised we needed to seen a Samsung service rep. Sprint arranged for us to meet him at the store in Sterling Heights, where we were told that the phone was working properly. I asked a question back then that was never clearly answered and I believed it was avoided. The S8 Active was designed to operate on the AT&T network, was it modified properly to operate acceptably on the Sprint network?

Earlier this year my son was in a car accident and needed to call out. But, of course, the phone wouldn’t work. He ended up sending a text, that eventually got out to someone to get him help. That happened right down the road from the house closer to the sprint tower. He said he had 4 bars.

So now we have had this garbage that you sell for a year now. Just anticipating the day that I can end this nightmare. Then I realize after reading through some of the plan details. The plan I have is 1st phone $65 second $45 3-5 free until 1/31. At that point, I get to spend even more for non-existent service. 

We had been advised many different directions. I have done everything Sprint has requested. But, to no resolve. I wanted personal communications devices. These units cannot be considered as such. I agreed to lease communications devices and not overpriced clocks.

Furthermore, I found it really disturbing to be told that if I had the insurance on the phone I could upgrade. So basically, I was told that sprint doesn’t want to accept any responsibility for the product that they lease. I would have to have insurance and pay the deductible for an opportunity to maybe get into a contract with another phone that doesn’t work.

If this was a leased vehicle, it would sit on your lot while you provided me a loaner until it was fixed.

I understand that I would have to carry insurance on a vehicle. But comprehensive and collision do not cover the drivetrain should they fail. I do not understand why I need to put insurance on the operating system on a phone that you guys fail to support

Journeyman

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

1. Are you having issues with texts AND calls, or only calls?

YES

2. Is this only happening in one location or multiple?

MULTIPLE

3. To clarify, the calls being dropped, does the phone show an error when it happens such as "CALL DROPPED" or "CALL LOST"? In addition to that you are also experiencing dead air/silence during some calls?

THE PERSON ON OTHER END OF CALL HEARS GARBLING WHEN THE 8 ACTIVE CALLS, THEN THE OTHER PERSON CAN NOT HEAR MY LINE & THEN HANGS UP. SAME WHEN 8 CALLS OUT OR GETS CALLS IN.  

4. Do you notice a trend between where calls are being dropped vs dead air is happening?

NO, THE ISSUES HAPPEN IN ANY LOCATION AND IN ANY SETTING

5. Do you know anyone else who is experiencing issues like this in the same locations? Do you know what type of device they are using?

NONE OF THE PHONES ON MY ACCOUNT HAVE THESE ISSUES. I ONLY KNOW OF OTHERS THAT OWN THE 8 ACTIVE HAVE SAME ISSUES FROM SITES LIKE THIS (SUCH AS GOOGLE SEARCHES, SAMSUNG SITE, HERE, ETC)

Journeyman

OldGreg_Sprint:

First, I only have 1 of 8 phones on my account being the s8 active. The rest are iPhones except my line which my phone is the s9+. Not any of our phones have experienced any working conditions, like the s8 active. The s8 active is the only phone having the issues. My phone, the s9+, will try to call the s8 active line & same issues. ANY phone on my account try to s8 active & experience the issues. Even my landline calls the 8 & it does it again.

I have asked for a replacement phone s8 or trade for a phone closest SEVERAL times since the upgrade in March. All of my calls, my pleading for a phone that works, has basically been ignored. So basically I am paying the lease for a phone that doesnt work, as I have said in my previous posts. Im sick of calling Sprint & Samsung every week, getting the same "tech tests & setting changes" that has to be done, as both companies do. Hell, the person using the 8 wants to go back to his phone that he had before upgrade. He had the s4 for gosh knows how many yrs. I believe he got the s4 when they 1st came out. He only upgraded because the phone started having screen issues from use over the yrs. He basically tells me that his lease will be up in March & he wants off of my Sprint account. Since our calls & lack of resolved issues. I have several phones on my account & all of the users are saying the ssme thing; as they see how my 8 active user is being treated. I find it kind of uncouth & quite disrespectful to put it nicely. I would assume that both Samsung & Sprint want their consumers happy & satisfied but this one is not at all happy with the outcome from each call to both customer service calls (again at least 1-2 calls to each company weekly). I even suggest the closest product switch each call but the rep does the same thing, as done all other calls, runs troubleshooting & upgrades. And phone reverts back to non working condition.

This happens in multiple locations and with multiple issues explained here. I am at my wits end with, well basically the same. With the dance & run arounds each & every time. Sprints just offers me money off my bill or something else, rateher than swap out this, sorry but "Junk". I am seriously thinking about taking my Sprint account, that I have been with for over a decade, to another carrier. Maybe doing that could be more productive rather than dealing with Sprints attemts at fixing the issues with the s8 active.

I appreciate you both sending me in depth responses to the questions I had asked. I can say that without a doubt, if my phone was acting like your phones, I'd be at my wits end too. We count on these devices to work and when they don't deliver when we need them, it's beyond frustrating.

I'm going to send you both (asevener1969 and sumsteady97) a private message to gather some account details so that I can review this further and see what we can possibly do to help make this situation better. Be on the lookout for a PM from me shortly. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat